Talk

Advanced search

Legs in summer

(12 Posts)
pussinboots61 Fri 06-May-16 13:21:35

Any advice please. I am 54, quite slim apart from my stomach. I love summer clothes but, like most middle aged women I guess, I no longer feel at ease with my legs. In Autumn and Winter I hate muffling up but my wardrobe seems to be easier. I wear trousers, leggings or just above the knee skirts with thick tights. In summer I wear linen trousers but prefer wearing skirts mostly as I like my legs free and hate wearing tights when it's warm, yet I feel frumpy in long skirts unless they are maxi.

I don't have any noticeable veins in my legs but more than I used to have. I want to be able to wear just above the knee skirts in summer with bare legs but how do I go about it now? I see it on other women my age and they look ok. All the summer knee length skirts I can see in my price range, ie M and S basics, are shapeless skirts with a drawstring waistband. I want to feel smart in skirts in summer like I do in winter and don't want to be in trousers all the time.

Floisme Fri 06-May-16 14:26:54

This may not help as you've specified above the knee but I always go for just below. It works for me as my legs from that point are still good - my knees and thighs, not so much.

I detest linen trousers and think they're designed by people who want us to look shite.

nickEcave Fri 06-May-16 14:43:28

Tights in summer are the devils work! My skirts and dresses are all above the knee in winter when I wear woolen or thick opaque tights. All my summer dresses are just on or below the knee and, as floisme says it just seems to work. Unless you have really prominent veins, no one will notice your lower legs and they are probably the easiest bit to tone up with a bit of extra walking grin

LetLoveWin Fri 06-May-16 14:46:22

You can get makeup for legs that covers blemishes like a charm smile I've used the brand Inglot.

BabyGanoush Fri 06-May-16 14:47:49

I just slap on fake tan and display myveinywobblylegs with saggy knees tothe world.

It is funny, but I only worryfor 5 secs and then don't care.

Look Around on your high street, is it only super models with model legs?! Nope grin

SweetChickadee Fri 06-May-16 14:56:14

I find that moisturizer with a bit of fake tan in is the best - subtle colour but does a lovely job of evening out your skin tone

Feckthefeckoff Fri 06-May-16 19:19:01

Which fake tan do you recommend? I always find my legs go streaky, even with the build up stuff.

RoobyTuesday Fri 06-May-16 19:20:39

Sally Hanson's leg make up is very good and waterproof.

Chipsahoy Fri 06-May-16 21:13:33

Rimmed stuff is good. Wash off one will streak on the rain though!

BrandNewAndImproved Fri 06-May-16 21:15:47

Dove summer glow is good. I'm not in my fifties but I have converted my 78yr old nan to it.

JackandDiane Fri 06-May-16 21:17:09

oh ffs just wear the skirts

OnwardsAndUpwardsYo Fri 06-May-16 21:21:08

I'm much younger but have some skin issues. I actually use a cheap foundation on my legs so I don't suffocate them under heavy clothes in summer. It works so well. I am often picking up the wrong shades for my face so I use those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now