Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for face mask?

(13 Posts)
DailyMailResearcher Thu 05-May-16 22:47:35

My skin is very dark and full, I am tired and have been run down lately but would like a face mask that would brighten my skin. Any recommendations? I usually buy the Montagne Jeunesse ones but happy to try something a bit more pricey. Am drinking lots of water etc but have this annoying virus thing at the moment where I just feel and look like shit.

Thanks in advance

EatShitDerek Thu 05-May-16 22:48:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Snazarooney Thu 05-May-16 22:50:22

I like the Liz Earle nourishing one. It's in a creamy coloured tube.

Nabootique Fri 06-May-16 08:02:58

The best ones I have tried for brightening are resurfacing ones. Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme mask is my favourite, but could be too much if you have any sensitivity.

botemp Fri 06-May-16 11:09:59

For brightening: REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask, Elemis Tri Enzyme Resurfacing Gel Mask, Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask.

Although what do you mean by dark and full? If it's pigmentation consider incorporating acids and a Vitamin C product into your routine which would be beneficial anyhow, masks are great for incidental use but they don't do much to improve skin condition long term.

If by full you mean clogged, a simple clay mask 1-2x a week will do great things too. Though I hate the shouty marketing and prices I do also really like the GlamGlow Supermud mask, you can get a smaller tube of it in places and you don't need much and is a bit of an instant makeover mask.

DailyMailResearcher Fri 06-May-16 14:28:11

Sorry I meant dark and dull! My skin is normally ok but my age is now factoring into it at 36, need to look after it now! Acid stuff looks interesting...will have a look though all the suggestions thank you!

DailyMailResearcher Fri 06-May-16 14:28:39

What sort of vitamin c product do you suggest?

botemp Fri 06-May-16 16:52:17

The mother of all Vit C is Skinceuticals Ferulic C+E but be prepared to fall out of your chair when you see the price, it is universally praised though as the best and most effective. I've used Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate for quite a while which has 10.5% active Vit C in it but I don't use it for pigmentation issues. FYI anything below 10% is not considered to be of any use. For a more budget version I believe Indeed Labs recently launched the Vitamin C24 Facial Creme at boots which is 22.5% Vit C so that might be worth a shot? If you are using it with acids either alternate them in your routine or wait 20 mins in between applying.

For acids, Glycolic or Lactic (AHA) is what you'll want for dullness. Nip + Fab Glycolic pads are popular on these boards as they're quite affordable (always on offer at Boots or Superdrug), also quite popular is Alpha-H Liquid Gold it's a bit more of a powerhouse that you'd use 1-2x a week.

DailyMailResearcher Fri 06-May-16 23:53:17

Thanks botemp that's really useful info ...

BubsAndMoo Sat 07-May-16 05:13:33

I've been enjoying Kiehl's cranberry and turmeric seed energising radiance mask lately. When my skin feels congested I use Origins clear improvement which is a charcoal mask.

The glam glow supermud sounds interesting! Also OP, I mix masks sometimes on different areas of my face- so something clay-y on my nose which is my congested area and something more soothing/hydrating/radiance-y everywhere else. Also sometimes snug the whole lot down under a sheet mask for extra pampery effect grin

mowglik Sat 07-May-16 08:55:00

Bubs do you do clay masks under a sheet mask? How does that work since the clay mask won't really dry <mind boggles>

I usually do a clay mask followed by sheet mask but this would be great for saving time 😆

Britnyspears Sat 07-May-16 09:47:08

Another vote for Glam Glow Mud x

BubsAndMoo Sat 07-May-16 10:02:53

I was told by a facial-y person recently that allowing the mask to completely dry out isn't that great for your skin anyway, and that most of us leave masks on for way too long, it should be more like 5-8 mins rather than the 20-30 I would do sometimes until the whole thing was bone dry! The mask will have done it's pore-clearing and goodness soaked in way before that and it drying can just stretch and possibly irritate skin.
It's only one persons opinion I guess but made sense to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now