Help me go from sallow to splendid!

(8 Posts)
BowChickaBowWow Thu 05-May-16 10:36:52

I need help! I've got pale skin and darkish hair. In my mind, I've got lovely clear porcelain skin... in actuality it's a bit sallow looking and more often than not I look a bit very tired with dark circles under my eyes. hmm Whenever we have to do video conferencing at work I can't even concentrate on the meeting as I'm focussed on how ill I look, and wonder if everyone else thinks I look that bad! I often have to tell people that I'm perfectly well and it's just my face when they ask me if I'm feeling run-down.

So, I need some wonder products that will give me that beautiful glowing, porcelain skin of my dreams (I've given up on the idea of ever having a 'healthy glow'!) that won't take forever to apply as I have about 5 minutes to do my face on a morning! My skin is in decent condition; it's just the fact that I look ill that I need help with!

Any suggestions?

Salmiak Thu 05-May-16 10:43:30

I had a house of colour consultation done for my birthday present a few years ago - it was really interesting to see how having some different coloured scarfs draped over me could really change my skin tone. Some colours made me look really sallow and ill, some made me look red and blotchy and a few managed to look ok. I now buy colours that came up well and avoid black as it makes me look like death

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Thu 05-May-16 10:45:57

Try the YSL primers.

There's a lavender one for exactly this type of thing.
Don't know if it works, do let us know!

RaeFesnick Thu 05-May-16 17:17:43

I am also sallow with dark circles. I have found that the ByTerry Light Expert foundation works wonders for me and really lights my face up. I use the Apricot Light one but it's best to get a colour match. I buy it from SpaceNK.

I also use the YSL Touche Eclat Apricot neutraliser which takes out the dark circles reasonably well. I find their eye serum has helped with dark circles.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Thu 05-May-16 18:39:08

That makes sense, because that's also Bobbi Brian's advice on dark circles, to use a bisque/peach corrector.

I think the Touche Eclat is lighter in consistency.

Nabootique Thu 05-May-16 19:50:02

I think it's easier to fake a glow than flawless skin, unless you use full coverage, which can look fake and be counterproductive. Good skincare, cleanse properly, acid tone. The Hylamide Glow Booster would be a good serum. It adds glow rather than colour. I am also sallow and it makes me look healthy. Illuminating primer a must have. I love the Becca Backlighting Filter, but there are are lots out there.

BowChickaBowWow Wed 11-May-16 10:28:48

Sorry for disappearing, had issues getting online!

Thanks for the tips. I will check out that Hylamide Glow Booster serum; annoyingly I've just bought some new moisturiser and serum but I guess it's good to mix it up anyway! My skin is good generally speaking, it's just not a nice colour!

Salmiak - I haven't had my colours done properly (always been on my to-do list for when I've got enough money to go on a spree) but I do stay away from colours that I know make me look terrible. Maybe I need to bring in a load of different clothes and book out a meeting room and see which colours make me look good/bad on the VC screens?!

Funnily shortly after posting on here I saw an article about 'non-touring', which is all about using highlighters to brighten up your face so I have been shopping and will report back after a few wears, I'm currently trying:

Kiko Violet Primer
Lumi Magique Primer (I bought this before I found the violet one so just using it as a bit of an extra highlighter)
BB Cream
Lumi Magique Concealer
Kiko Highlighter

They're all pretty low-cost options and I'll upgrade if I need to, just didn't want to spend too much in one go!

Gaspard Wed 11-May-16 15:01:03

Exercise exercise exercise plus getting your colours done. I did mine and it really changed the way I shop and put my clothes together. People often comment positively on my choice of colours now. I've also started going to the gym and apparently I look very well when I've been going regularly. Not showing off, just sharing what works for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now