Best eyeshadow colour for brown eyes

(17 Posts)
PinkCloudDweller Thu 05-May-16 07:29:40

Hi, I keep trying to find that elusive neutral colour that really opens up brown eyes. None of my eyeshadows seem very flattering - some of them make look tired or older, or like someone's just punched!

I'm also looking for non-neutral colours, any recommendations? In case this is relevant: I have dark brown hair (warmish tone, natural) and quite pale skin with some redness round the nose. Thanks!

Hero1callylost Thu 05-May-16 07:32:09

No idea but I have similar colouring to you and eyeshadow makes me look washed out or punched too, so watching!

The only one I've had any success with is a pale brown, okay for everyday but boring!

Seeyounearertime Thu 05-May-16 07:35:29

Have you tried a purple?
I think purple looks great on almost anyone but especially brown eyes.

PinkCloudDweller Thu 05-May-16 08:16:34

Thanks! I used to have a purple shade that was great. I've tried with other shades of purple and they just look wrong, for some reason.

Maybe my problem is technique- I'm not very good at applying eyeshadow...

BigginsforPope Thu 05-May-16 08:19:56

You sound similar colouring to me and I wear a purple which I think looks the best on me. I have a very pale lilac which can look nice for more everyday wear.

RJnomore1 Thu 05-May-16 08:21:13

I'm maybe slightly more olive skin toned and I like greens and greys on my eyes. Also gold looks good.

Twasthecatthatdidit Thu 05-May-16 08:21:56

Have you ever tried green? I have similar colouring to you and it can look good. Also the naked palette.

Baconyum Thu 05-May-16 08:24:09

For opening up bronze shades in a smoky style application but I have similar colouring and wear green a lot too, mainly olive greens some lighter shades.

yomellamoHelly Thu 05-May-16 08:24:49

Have a dark brown, khaki and two peachy pinks. A goldy colour would also work for me.

BlackAzalea Thu 05-May-16 09:11:36

I have dark brown eyes and wear all shades of brown but do a (restrained) smokey eye using a dusky pink or putty shade with them. Other colours I use a lot are mauve, and dark grey. Tried burgundy when I did a huge splurge at Kiko once...wasn't bad, they have some great colours.

NattyGolfJerkin Thu 05-May-16 09:15:14

I'm hazelly eyed so khaki, olive, bronze and some slightly cranberry tones work on me (the red brings out the green).

slinkysaluki Thu 05-May-16 15:40:41

I have Celtic colouring, auburn hair, pink toned and freckly skin with ambery brown eyes. I wear steel grey, aubergine, khaki, navy, I have a smokey purple which looks good as well. Purples good but you have to be careful which tone or you can look like you've been punched !

PinkCloudDweller Thu 05-May-16 17:57:47

Thanks! Can you recommend a specific neutral and colour that looks particularly amazing on you? Make and shade colour needed, please!

slinkysaluki Thu 05-May-16 19:29:10

Plum glow by Mally is the smokey purple
The khaki was called Mangrove by Avon not sure it's still current.

I use pencils under lower lid and smudge as well

Look on EBay for eyeshadow palettes or superdrug MUA palettes are good and Revolution also Superdrug

mumsnit Thu 05-May-16 20:16:35

I wear navy blue mostly - although navy eye shadow is quite hard to find at the moment. There's a lot of very bright blue shades out there which I don't really think work with brown eyes.

I also have a lovely khaki/gold eyeshadow from Bare Minerals.

Never thought about purple though - might try it!

southeastastra Thu 05-May-16 20:22:05

love laura mercier african violet here and this black karat

Kennington Thu 05-May-16 20:45:04

Khaki gold and brown: olive in my martini by Clinique is perfect applied with an angled eyeliner brush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now