Talk

Advanced search

Please help me sort my blackheads out

(49 Posts)
DaughterDrowningInJunk Wed 04-May-16 19:06:58

I'm 40s, with blackheads all up the sides of my forehead and redness and spots on my chin. I would say my skin type is normal. I don't have dry cheeks and my t-zone is slightly oilier than the rest but not oily-oily. Normal pores. I haven't needed to use moisturiser since I moved to a house with no central heating. I don't wear any foundation.

These are the products I currently have at home:

Liz Earle C&P - used to use this twice a day but it is more like a couple of times a week now. I have not noticed that the blackheads have increased since I cut down.

Liz Earle Deep Cleansing Mask - I use this once a week. Would like to use it more often but the DC take the piss. It does nothing for the blackheads but I think it improves the colour of my skin and it feels great afterwards.

Micellar Water - I had the Bioderma one but I've run out and I'm on the cheaper Garnier one. I am using this instead of the proper cleansing which I know I shouldn't but the blackheads are not worse since I started to do this.

Nip & Fab glycolic fix cleansing pads - I don't know what these are supposed to do. I read about them on here on a thread about acid toners. I use these when I remember.

I also have some of that Lush Ultrabland stuff, but I find it ultra difficult to remove so I only use that when I have taken leave of my senses.

I think I need some sort of acid toner but what? I used to use a glycolic/salicylic acid thing years ago but I got it abroad and I can't remember what it was. It worked wonders. I need to sort the cleansing out too. I tried oil cleansing years ago and ended up with huge painful cystic spots that took months to go.

I have looked at Caroline Hirons but I remain baffled.

Today is the first day in my life I have ever been upset about my skin sad. Even when I was in my 20s and had terrible acne it never bothered me.

I'm kind of on a budget. What I would like to do is start with the Liz Earle twice a day again as I have several bottles to use up but I really want to try some sort of acidy stuff.

Does anybody have any suggestions please? I am hoping to buy something tonight to cheer myself up a bit.

Wellhellothere1 Wed 04-May-16 23:14:11

I think if you have blackheads you should use a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) which is salicylic acid as a toner. BHA is lipid soluble so will penetrate the oil in your skin better than water soluble glycolic acid. I use the Nip and Fab Dragon's blood pads which contain salicylic acid every evening after a double cleanse with a light cleanser. I use the Nip and Fab glycolic ones each morning and have found a massive reduction in my blackheads. The 'black' part has gone leaving only clean open pores. I don't think open pores can be helped unfortunately!
I found Retin a (tretinoin cream) really helps too. This cream is licensed for acne although lots of us use it for ageing skin.
Also Liz Earle C&P would kill my skin! Too heavy and greasy. Maybe a lighter cleaner would be better for you?

Corialanusburt Wed 04-May-16 23:16:50

Go to America and get them extracted by Dr Pimple Popper.

ZaZathecat Thu 05-May-16 09:04:01

You can have a facial with extractions and they will steam your face and then gently squeeze them all out.

SewSlapdash Thu 05-May-16 09:05:06

Are they definitely blackheads or sebaceous filaments? Might be worth checking if you're not sure of the difference - I wasn't!

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 10:35:34

They are definitely blackheads. Ex had sebaceous filaments so I know what they are. Hours of fun I used to have with those blush

I have ordered the Dragons blood stuff as it was on offer at superdrug. I would love to start having regular facials again but it isn't an option for me at the moment. It's just me armed with my extraction tool. Thank you for the replies everyone.

PS If I ever come into money one of the first things I am doing is going to see Dr Sandra Lee smile

Kennington Thu 05-May-16 13:50:34

I found bar soap plus warm water and flannel
Then Vichy normaderm acid toner every night worked
Plus a mud mask once a week
All gone
Really there is nothing like soap and water
I use a lighter moisturiser on my nose and richer oil on the rest of face
I also avoid SPF as this really causes blackheads for me
I really have none now and haven't had for some time

TickleMyTeacakes Thu 05-May-16 14:00:08

First off stop using Liz Earle's C&P. That stuff is notorious for clogging pores.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 19:27:54

Thanks for the suggestions. Been looking at the Vichy toner.

Didn't know LE was bad for clogging pores. I started using it about 10 years ago when it was all the rage on here, but I rarely hear a good word about it now. Maybe it is time to move with the times!

Nabootique Thu 05-May-16 19:45:54

How did you get on with the LE at first? It does contain some potential irritants and some don't get on with it but you could you use it as a first cleanse in the evening and then follow up with a lighter cleanse for double cleansing. This should help your skin. Then use the light cleanse only in the morning. Agree with well's BHA advice, and I see you have that covered. You need a moisturiser. La Roche Posay Toleraine may work for your skin type.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 19:53:53

I got on fine with it. I wasn't sure about trying it but when I did I found that I really liked it and it left my skin feeling great and not at all irritated. I've tried various products that are supposed to be similar but none of them have been as good.

I'm not being arsey but why do I need moisturiser? I used to really need it but now my skin feels fine without it.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 19:57:06

Would Avene Antirougeurs be in any way similar to the Toleraine? I have loads of that unopened knocking about?

CodyKing Thu 05-May-16 19:58:12

You can get blackhead removal plasters and putty - better than the faff

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 20:02:44

Putty you say?

Do you mean plasters as in those pore strips?

Nabootique Thu 05-May-16 20:09:06

The blackheads could be your skin overcompensating with oil and the oil oxidising, even if your skin does not feel oily. Not sure about the product comparison. Is it the cream or the emulsion? Just looking at the website.

CodyKing Thu 05-May-16 20:09:39

Putty

CodyKing Thu 05-May-16 20:11:21

Sorry! This one

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 20:12:27

Ok, I see. It's the cream I have.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 20:15:12

That looks like so much fun!

Vaara Thu 05-May-16 20:15:34

Marking my place - some good tips!

PetersonPeterson Thu 05-May-16 20:16:05

La Roche Posay cleanser for oily skin followed by nip and fab gel with glycolic acid overnight stuff (not pads) has helped for me.

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Thu 05-May-16 20:17:36

What sorted my skin once and for all was having a facial at a proper salon where it almost rebooted my skin. They got rid of all of it and it was AMAZING!

Now I use Clinique soap in the morning, and cleanse, tone and moisturise morning and evening with body shop stuff which seems fairly good and doesn't inflame my skin.

I still get the odd spot but the blackheads have all gone away. Good luck sorting it out.

Nabootique Thu 05-May-16 20:18:10

There's nothing awful in that cream, but there isn't much good. It's quite silicone heavy, which is not always best if you have blackheads, and it is meant more for dry skin. Maybe as a night cream though?

HisNameWasPrinceAndHeWasFunky Thu 05-May-16 20:26:49

Less alcohol, more water makes the biggest difference to me.
Alcohol seems to be fertiliser for black heads.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 05-May-16 20:45:59

I don't drink alcohol other than one drink at new year so I can't really cut down much there.

Yeah, I had the cream because I had central heating and my skin was dryer. I used to stock up whenever I went abroad because it was half the price of Boots which is why I have tons.

Interesting about the silicone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now