Talk

Advanced search

Any advice for going back to straight hair (am naturally curly) ?

(8 Posts)
DarrenHardysDrongo Wed 04-May-16 16:25:41

Been wearing it curly for about 10 years now. I'm bored with it and need to look more 'polished' so want to go straight.
I'm hopeless with a brush and a hairdryer though.
Is there any easy way to style it myself? I'm looking for product recommendations as well as styling equipment. As it's been over a decade since I've done the straightening thing I'm hoping there is a new miracle tool out there wink
I have a Babyliss Big Hair which gives me an unattractive 60s bouffant. I have two pairs of straighteners.
Also are there any styles that will make it easier to manage? I currently have it in a medium length bob.

EatShitDerek Wed 04-May-16 16:28:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IAmAHologram Wed 04-May-16 16:31:36

Proper straightening's the dog's bollocks. Costs about £200, lasts a few months.

DarrenHardysDrongo Wed 04-May-16 16:53:05

Ok tell me more about proper straightening please.
I use a small local salon currently and she definitely doesn't offer it, what names do I need to search for at bigger salons?
Is it going to cause massive damage to my hair? I've been colouring it every 4 weeks for nearly 20 years so I'm not sure it can take much more abuse!

QueenMolotov Wed 04-May-16 17:03:44

My hair is naturally curly and after wearing it that way for years, like you, I tired of it and now straighten it.

I wear my hair long, with long layers around the front. I learned to use a large, round Denman bristle brush to help straighten it, as I didn't/don't want to use chemicals. I use Tresemmé 7 Day Straight cream before drying.

Take the hair in small sections and blow dry on a medium heat and speed setting using a nozzle, going downwards with the hair shaft. Start from the bottom of your head and work to the top.

I use wide plate GHD straighteners. It took me a while to get used to these, but they've honestly changed my life! Again, work from bottom to top in small sections.

IAmAHologram Wed 04-May-16 17:35:03

My straightening thing is just called L'oreal straightening. The salon is A Bit Posh but not particularly young. And it's not a L'oreal salon.

I don't even need to blow dry. <preens>

specialsubject Wed 04-May-16 17:45:13

I've had Loreal xtenso and wellastrate on my very curly and frizzy hair. Done competently they both last about a year and are utterly miraculous. Cost locally (I'm not in the bottom right hand corner) is about £150, takes five hours.

Now coming to the end of my year and after washing you can see the line where it has grown out, but five mins with the cheap straighteners and I am smart and swishy until the next wash. I don't bother with blow drying, just wash in the evening and straighten the next day.

I need the intense strength which means I can't have dye on my hair. Not bothered by that. If you don't have such fuzzy hair you can probably get away with lower strengths.

I can use a comb! I can get through doors after rain! I don't look ridiculous! It's amazing!

NewLife4Me Wed 04-May-16 17:48:23

I had mine chemically straightened, I wouldn't do it again.
the condition was terrible and when it started to grow out I looked like sideshow bob.
It could be good on someone younger though, I was in my forties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now