Shoes for a heel-less wedding...

(38 Posts)
taybert Sun 01-May-16 18:21:48

So, I've been invited to a wedding in June at a venue where no heels are allowed. It's not just for the ceremony, the whole thing is heel free. The invitation does state that wedges are ok but no other heels.

I am 5'3 at a stretch. I have ALWAYS worn heels for special occasions. I do ballet flats, biker boots and converse for casual but would never go to any event in flats (nothing wrong with it, it's just not me), even when mega pregnant!

So, I think I really need to choose the shoes first and build around them. I'm a size 10, age 32 and I'm guessing it's going to be smart rather than full on wedding with hats etc. Help!

RaisingSteam Sun 01-May-16 18:25:36

Have you got an objection to wedges? IIRC Dune do some good high ones in shoes and sandals.

taybert Sun 01-May-16 18:26:57

Ok, also I'm a size 6 shoe despite being short so I always think pointed flats look a bit barge-like on me. Also all the wedges I like are the less clumpy ones with a narrow heel area but I'm not sure they'd really be any different from wearing heels and I don't want to be told to take them off....!

taybert Sun 01-May-16 18:29:00

Yeah, just looking at Dune but not sure if they're any better than heels really:
dune

RaisingSteam Sun 01-May-16 18:29:28

I suspect they just mean no stilettos (which are the problem for floors) and have specified no heels to avoid getting into debates about how when is a heel not a stiletto.

like I can't imagine this causing any damage.

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 01-May-16 18:30:03

Why on earth are heels vetoed?! Is there a delicate floor or something?

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 01-May-16 18:31:57

I think you probably need something like a cork wedge in order to cause minimal damage to the floors.

taybert Sun 01-May-16 18:33:19

Yeah, "heritage" floor. Good job I don't have a fancy taste in wedding venues, I couldn't have got married in flats!

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 01-May-16 18:38:03

Blimey.

What's your usual style? Colours? Shapes?

taybert Sun 01-May-16 18:43:36

Hmm, "usual style", just finding that again really after two babies then losing weight (and my boobs!) I usually go for fuller skirts and fitted tops or dresses in that shape but not sure how they'd be with flats on a short person. Would be fine with a wedge I guess. I'm wondering about some floaty trousers. Or even a jumpsuit blush? I'm pale with dark blonde hair and tend to wear dark colours really.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 01-May-16 19:17:26

Jumpsuit and wedges is a great idea. I think you'd be in Kate Middy territory in a dress and wedges.

I wouldn't have chosen such a delicate floor to get married in either. Heels way more important than historical venue to me wink

MrsLettuce Sun 01-May-16 19:52:22

Yeah, jumpsuit and wedges is a good call. The black and white version of the wedges you linked look less clumpy than the single colour ones, to me. I've not seen totally flat bottomed wedges above 2 or 3 cm without the little block under the heel for yonks, they all have it so it should be fine. Is just about weight distribution.

Do you happen to like bright pink?

LadyAntonella Sun 01-May-16 19:57:05

Oh I think I might know the venue OP! Is it in NI by any chance?

Penfold007 Sun 01-May-16 19:59:57

I really don't understand. Venue has a heritage floor and asks guests not to wear heels but is happy to accept wedges. Just pick some sky-scrapper wedges you like and go from there.

taybert Sun 01-May-16 20:00:18

It isn't in NI. I don't think it is actually that unusual.. Just not in the venues I looked at!

HelsBels3000 Sun 01-May-16 20:02:21

I LOVE those black & white Dune wedges - buy those!!!

LadyAntonella Sun 01-May-16 20:03:04

Ah I thought it was maybe a venue I went to for a wedding. No heels and no red wine allowed due to heritage floor! confused

taybert Sun 01-May-16 20:03:24

I followed up Penfold by saying I wasn't sure if the really high wedges would be ok, because they seem very like heels from the point of view of the pressure on the floor. I also don't usually wear wedges and I wasn't sure if what I would usually wear would go. There's not much to understand, it's just superficial clothing chat.

taybert Sun 01-May-16 20:03:55

Oh God. The had better be red wine.

MrsLettuce Sun 01-May-16 20:11:11

no.red.wine. fuck. Hope you have more luck op.

To be fair, there are not many non-clumpy, properly high wedges about at all ATM.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 01-May-16 20:15:48

No heels. No red wine. No go.

MrsLettuce Sun 01-May-16 20:16:55

Quite.

taybert Sun 01-May-16 20:19:23

If there's no red wine i have bigger problems that the clumsiness of my wedge.

LadyAntonella Sun 01-May-16 20:28:04

It was a dark day sad. I hope you get wine! I'm sure it was just this particular venue.

LadyAntonella Sun 01-May-16 20:58:15

Sorry - realise I should have put a grin or wink in there somewhere. It was a lovely day of course, just sadly lacking in red wine and heels. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now