Talk

Advanced search

DC school shoes other than Clarks

(47 Posts)
FriendofBill Sun 01-May-16 15:14:38

DC has managed to lose one shoe and I have to replace them.

Can anyone recommend a good school shoe preferably cheaper than Clarks? Really don't want to shell out £40+ again.

We went in earlier this year and it was over £100 for shoes trainers and wellingtons.
That was with a shoe and trainer offer!

They have us over a barrel don't they? If not Clarks, where?

biscuitkumquat Sun 01-May-16 15:33:34

I use Brantano. They have Clarks & also other brands much, much cheaper.

SunnySomer Sun 01-May-16 15:40:47

My DS's most recent school shoes are these: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DXNAQN2/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?qid=1462113385&sr=1-22&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=froddo+shoes&dpPl=1&dpID=41vzoyok5YL&ref=plSrch
I'm not sure they meet your price brief (were about £40 in an independent shoe shop, but are £30 on Amazon), but they are fantastic quality and extremely comfortable. They seem very durable (big deal for me as we walk a long way and it winds me up when I need to replace shoes because the sole is worn out rather than because they've been outgrown).

burnishedsilver Sun 01-May-16 16:05:36

I get dss shoes in sketchers. They often have an offer if you are buying two pairs.

TimeToMuskUp Sun 01-May-16 16:08:11

StartRite are very good and tend to last a lot longer than Clarks. DS2 has the fattest feet ever, he could wear shoeboxes for shoes they're so broad. SR cater for that more than Clarks.

mumsnit Sun 01-May-16 16:34:38

I've bought M&S school shoes for DS for a few years now. He's grown out of them before they've worn out so generally the quality is fine. Sometimes I've had to buy better laces as that's the only thing that can feel a bit cheap.

I never bother with Clarks now he's older unless I'm lucky with sizes in the sale. Really overpriced and the styles are so dull.

Chewbecca Sun 01-May-16 16:36:29

I found start rite better than Clarks too, but not cheaper

GreenMarkerPen Sun 01-May-16 16:46:07

I got a pair at next for dc who is growing like mad atm.

Kennington Sun 01-May-16 16:58:48

I like marks and Spencer's and tesco too.

Ilikesweetpeas Sun 01-May-16 17:09:32

Could you try a Clarks outlet? Don't know where you live? People have mentioned startrite but we've had no luck with then - in my opinion the shoes are poor quality and expensive

FriendofBill Sun 01-May-16 18:11:29

Thanks for all these ideas.
Going to get Googling now.
flowers

arandomname Sun 01-May-16 18:38:31

Watching with interest. The only pairs quality-wise I've found so far that are as good as more expensive!

hazeyjane Sun 01-May-16 18:40:52

Marks and Spencers and Brantano, although dd1 has just got some nice ballet style shoes in Shoezone.

unlucky83 Sun 01-May-16 19:12:21

DD1 wore trainers to primary but needed a pair of black shoes for a funeral - so I bought a pair in Tescos for £10 . Then a few months later she needed black shoes for secondary so I bought a pair of clarks (£35 iirc) 10 weeks later and the clarks were wrecked - front coming away from sole and very worn. As a stop gap I let her wear the Tescos -they survived the rest of the year...

FrameyMcFrame Sun 01-May-16 21:31:55

Clarks outlet are good.

I have to say I wouldn't buy cheaper though for my DC after my experience last week.

I had worn Converse for a week and my foot went wrong... think I was getting a fallen arch, v painful. Went to town to look for some sensible shoes and ended up with a pair of Clarks from John Lewis.
My God they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Bad foot just got better after a couple of days due to the healing power of the Clarks... think Im going to always buy Clarks now, give me comfort over style....
<old gimmer emoticon>

BeBesideTheSea Sun 01-May-16 21:35:09

M&S are brilliant for boys school shoes. Cheap, and v long lasting!

BeBesideTheSea Sun 01-May-16 21:36:11

Sorry, cheap compared to Clarks. But I only buy shoes in Clarks for me (for the same reason as Framey)

starry0ne Sun 01-May-16 21:36:55

I have tried others but return to Clarks for school shoes. I have tried Asda a couple of times..

I buy cheap wellies, trainers got some great ones from decathlon..My DS has narrow ankles though so very hard to find shoes that fit

hugoagogo Sun 01-May-16 21:41:27

try shoesforkids

krisskross Sun 01-May-16 21:45:56

My DC had a podiatrist for a while and we were advised not to go to Clarks as they only sell Clarks and can't advise on the best shoes for your child's feet. John Lewis are good at this but obviously it depends who you speak to. My DS is in year 3 and we've never had the same brand twice, I'd say starting with the worst quality to best geox.... Really expensive and been falling apart since Christmas, kickers... Crap, Clarks....ok, start rite...best of the lot

CookieDoughKid Sun 01-May-16 22:26:29

I think there is a huge gap in the market for quality kids shoes at reasonable prices . I don't want to only have Clarks and StartRite. You just can't seem to find any other competition and there is always a massive q trying to get served in Clarks. Why is that?

GreenMarkerPen Sun 01-May-16 22:50:53

there are some great european brands in independent shoe shops. elefanten, ecco, ricosta
roughly same price range than clarks.

unlucky83 Mon 02-May-16 00:08:54

framey & Bebeside what you need are these
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-Orthotic-Insoles-Arch-Support-Heel-Cup-pronation-fallen-arches-flat-feet-/271115977995?var=&hash=item3f1fc5850b:m:mjDhUig43H155JHKBuzBkgg
or similar . I usually get 'mens' cos I have big feet! But you can get ladies narrow ones (I have a pair for a pair of court shoes)
I've had them for years - used to get them from a place that sold medical aids - 'orthosoles' at £20+ a pair after being told to go there when I had problems with my back. They take a bit of getting used to if your arches have already fallen a bit, you just wear them for increasing amounts of time.
Now I have lots of cheap ones so I keep them in all my shoes. I can happily wear cheap converse type shoes or ballet pumps without a problem...
I put them in my Clarks boots - if I don't use them I get really achy, sore feet.

LakeFlyPie Mon 02-May-16 00:21:58

I find Clarks school shoes overpriced and easily destroyed by my DSs.

Geox every time for us and I found them half price line recently.

Tend to go for Savage style rather than Crush as they're harder wearing.

AnotherPrickInTheWall Mon 02-May-16 10:50:21

Try Blunts online . They sell all the big brands ,often heavily discounted , last eason etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now