Talk

Advanced search

Do you think wearing eyeshadow as part of everyday makeup is a bit much?

(53 Posts)
CarbonEmittingPenguin Sun 01-May-16 14:18:41

One of my birthday presents was a large eyeshadow palette type thing. I don't want to put it on the shelf to languish into oblivion but at the same time I don't tend to go out in the evening regularly to bars and restaurants so the only option of trying them out is wearing different colours daily to work. I work in a casual setting so considering some people have bright purple hair, my eyeshadow isn't likely to cause a scene. On the flip side I could just give the palette to my nieces (8 & 13yrs) who'd have a blast of a time experimenting.

What do you reckon? If it helps, I'm quite good at applying eye-make-up anyway so I know I wouldn't look like a clown but I would need to force myself to use colours that I've not tried before.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sun 01-May-16 15:32:29

This intrigues me. What is your everyday makeup?

My minimum makeup is some natural looking eyeshadow, fineliner, mascara.

If I'm wearing makeup, it will always include some eyehadow.

QforCucumber Sun 01-May-16 15:34:10

I wear eyeshadow daily but it is nude browns and golds rather than bright colours - I'd say that's down to personal taste though as even for a night out I ue smokey greys and black I can't pull off bright ones sad

DraenorQueen Sun 01-May-16 15:36:08

I wear eyeshadow every day too. But a shimmery, fairly neutral grey/brown/silver rather than mad colours. Like QforCucumber I can never pull off bright colours!

SwedishEdith Sun 01-May-16 15:38:09

I wear it every day.

Trills Sun 01-May-16 15:38:48

If you have bright purple hair then I really don't think you should be worrying about what is " a bit much".

If you worked in an ultra-conservative setting where everyone was in suits, I'd say it depended on the colour and styling of the eyeshadow.

greenpoplinshirt Sun 01-May-16 15:45:34

i wear eyeshadow every day because i have large eyelids with round eyes and want to create a wider shape. i wear a matte mid brown.

CarbonEmittingPenguin Sun 01-May-16 15:46:26

Rabbit My usual day makeup consists of nude lipstick, eyeliner and mascara. On the rare occasions I venture out I'll crank up the eyeliner look a bit more.

Q I can deal with the dark shades quite well but they make up about 20% of the palette, the rest being vibrant colours of the rainbow. I think the whole set would be wasted on me if I were to just use the smoky-effect colours hence my wanting to give it my nieces.

CarbonEmittingPenguin Sun 01-May-16 15:47:14

Trills I don't have purple hair, I have brown auburn-ish hair.

SwedishEdith Sun 01-May-16 16:00:18

the rest being vibrant colours of the rainbow

Er, no, I would't wear them. I'm not Sue Pollard.

TimeToMuskUp Sun 01-May-16 16:09:14

I wear eyeshadow pretty much every day. I only ever use the Naked 3 palette, as the colours suit me and my style. But I'd feel odd not using it I think.

EmmaWoodlouse Sun 01-May-16 17:00:21

Absolutely not. I wear quite neutral colours of eyeshadow most of the time (I've got the Naked 3 palette too, they are pretty much my ideal colours except for the gold) but I think I'd look a bit strange wearing mascara without it. On the other hand I very rarely wear lipstick or blusher. I do realise this is all our own perceptions though and some people might have a different "order of priorities" for make-up..

CarbonEmittingPenguin Sun 01-May-16 17:15:01

Sue Pollard! grin

Swedish I've got something a bit like this:

AnyFucker Sun 01-May-16 17:16:05

A bit much what ? confused

Destinysdaughter Sun 01-May-16 17:17:18

If you don't think you'd get much use out of it, give it to your nieces. They'd be delighted!

Ferrerotoffeemint Sun 01-May-16 17:24:41

Definitely give it to your nieces

TheLesserSpottedBee Sun 01-May-16 17:31:21

I wear eyeshadow every day and I'm a sahm. I feel I look better with make up on so I wear it, for me.

But with that palette I would give it to your nieces. You can wear colours without looking like an 80's flashback but it requires blending and if you aren't comfortable with the idea of wearing eyeshadow daily then donate it.

Vaara Sun 01-May-16 17:31:50

No way! Never give Make up away!!!

Have a look for some YouTube tutorials. It's a great introduction to what to do.

I have naked 1,2,3 and the Gwen Stefani and wear them every day. I look spiffing.

Vaara Sun 01-May-16 17:33:46

There's a ton of colors in there you could wear daily.

The stronger ones can be dabbed onto the middle of the lid for a bit of color after you've put on and blended the neutrals.

See this as an opportunity to learn

conversationdiva Sun 01-May-16 17:34:40

I wear eye shadow every day but only neutral brown/nude colours. Occasionally I am feeling brave and go for a shimmery gold or pale pink/lilac but that doesn't happen often!

Queenbean Sun 01-May-16 17:36:01

What is the brand? It it was mac I would keep it and wear the bright colours for fancy dress / experimenting etc

If it's a cheapo brand then give it away

hollinhurst84 Sun 01-May-16 17:56:30

I wear red, orange, green (not together!) for day time
Here's a pic with orange

hollinhurst84 Sun 01-May-16 17:57:56

Or (I'm out of images!) sometimes I do something like greys or Browns on the lid then line underneath my eye with a bright colour like pink or purple

LagerthaSilverHair Sun 01-May-16 18:01:18

The right eyeshadow is great. It can minimise hooded eyelids and uneven skin tone on the eyelids as well as accentuate the features you want accentuated. I also use it to 'set' eyeliner. If you don't choose an overly bright colour it can look pretty subtle.

CarbonEmittingPenguin Sun 01-May-16 19:10:04

AnyFicker I don't see where there'd be any confusion in what I've said?

Destinysdaughter You're right, my nieces would be beside themselves with this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now