Talk

Advanced search

Views on this bag, please

(52 Posts)
polyhymnia Sun 01-May-16 12:20:07

Have been looking long and hard for a new bag for spring/summer - preferably for everyday use.

Want something I can put over my shoulder, not too small, not too structured, neutral colour, and preferably with an outside pocket - or separate internal one - for Oyster card. Must be real leather. Budget: up to £250, but preferably closer to £150ish. No bright gold metalware.

Thinking of getting this, which covers all the bases, is very much my style and I can see being a real day-to-day bag in a good colour (it's a subtle olive):
www.comptoirdescotonniers.co.uk/eboutique/accessory/bags-and-leather-goods/8510-shoulder-bag-leather-aude-battle-green.html?art_Id=33542

But in R and B the other day was distracted by this:
www.russellandbromley.co.uk/all-handbags/mini-chain/invt/713327

What do people think? Is the second one too blingy/ has too much going on/ not for every day?

All views welcome.

Vixxfacee Sun 01-May-16 12:21:05

Prefer the R&B one.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 01-May-16 12:23:41

Don't like the chain on the R&B one - but not keen on the shape of the other one

IWILLgiveupsugar Sun 01-May-16 12:24:52

I saw the R&B one irl and I really liked it

TitsCrossed Sun 01-May-16 12:27:46

I like the R&B one too.

I've just got an Oushka Harper which is (imo) gorgeous! currently 30% off...

AdventuresOfADentist Sun 01-May-16 12:28:55

I think the R&B one looks really nice.

Oly5 Sun 01-May-16 13:08:38

Don't like either sorry
Personally I love Fossil bags

polyhymnia Sun 01-May-16 13:22:44

That Oushka one looks nice. Have never (yet) found a bag I really like from Fossil but will have a look at their new stock.

Babymamamama Sun 01-May-16 13:24:54

I think the first one looks much more casual than the second which is more blingy. I prefer the second one but wouldn't choose either.

Olddear Sun 01-May-16 14:51:00

R&B one looks lovely

greenpoplinshirt Sun 01-May-16 15:48:03

r and b one. looks like you could get some mileage in both work and smart casual from that one.

CookieDoughKid Sun 01-May-16 15:56:49

The r and b one. The previous one is too old ladyish. Sorry, it's awful!

CookieDoughKid Sun 01-May-16 15:58:17

Note that chain bags can be very heavy. I would avoid if you intend to use as a day bag.

polyhymnia Sun 01-May-16 16:11:12

Do much prefer th R and B one - though in justice to C des C one it does look better in RL. The R and B one isn't heavy - have tried- thou joins DH has said he 'doesn't like the chains'. Though he won't be using the bG.
Any more chain haters (or lovers)?

SwedishEdith Sun 01-May-16 16:15:41

Don't like chains either so would discount for that reason. Better shape though.

IWILLgiveupsugar Sun 01-May-16 17:18:30

You could get both...

Doobigetta Sun 01-May-16 18:02:07

The first one is a bit dull, sorry. I love the second, and it would be fine for daytime casual, but not work, I think.

Cakescakescakes Sun 01-May-16 18:08:51

Both are nice

Miniminimus Sun 01-May-16 18:53:24

Chain-hater here. I'm really sorry but I think they make everything look a bit 'market-like'. Not a great fan of tassels either. The C&C bag is a much more individual choice and imo is much better for work and casual stuff at the weekend. But I would worry about whether the leather would crease and lose shape after wear and tear. My favourite here is the OH bag another poster has suggested which looks simple and more structured. Handles as well as a strap are so useful. Still has tassel but smaller and chunkier so a bit wittier and less clichéd than the dangly ones. I like the flap on top to close as well and would be ordering one today if I couldgrin But only you know your own style, hope you enjoy whatever you go for!

VulcanWoman Sun 01-May-16 19:03:28

Some on sale here.

www.clarks.co.uk/c/bags-all

polyhymnia Sun 01-May-16 22:14:21

I'm not a Clark's fan, sorry. To OPs who don't like chains, I'm not sure I do either and that's my reservation about that bag. But it is lovely in other respects so may go back to store and check it out again.

polyhymnia Sun 01-May-16 22:20:04

On Oushka bag, it doesn't seem to have an outside pocket for Oyster card while C de C one does and R and B one has a separate inside pocket which would serve purpose.

Peony and Moore used to have a biggish hobo style bag with outside pockets but they now seem to have a very small selection and no new spring styled and I'm wondering if they are running down their business.

AgathaMystery Sun 01-May-16 22:24:23

I like the first one best - chain straps HURT!

The Fossil Preston flap is the best bag I've owned since my Bayswater. I prefer the large size.

SuckingEggs Sun 01-May-16 22:27:44

Does the Oushka one have a zip closure and metal studs underneath? It's very nice!

SuckingEggs Sun 01-May-16 22:28:51

Not keen on the Comptoir bag, OP. The other is nicer but strap is a tad dressy, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now