Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My hair looks like Crystal Tips'

(12 Posts)
originalmavis Sat 30-Apr-16 11:44:30

If I use a tonne of serum and leave in conditioner and blowdry it straight, I can just about get away with it.

Is there any magic thing I can do to stop looking like a 1970s cartoon?

Baileysagain Sat 30-Apr-16 23:36:10

There's lots of things you can do, first, get a good hair cut then get the right products for your hair type. If you want your hair straight invest in a good pair of straighteners but it may be easier to wear it curly so ask your hairdresser the best way to achieve curls on your hair. Learn how to do a few 'up' do's as well, good luck.

burnishedsilver Sun 01-May-16 00:15:31

I haven't tried it yet myself but, from reading reviews, Philip Kingsley elasticiser might do the job.

burnishedsilver Sun 01-May-16 00:19:46

No, sorry, I take that back. Crystal tips isn't what I thought it was!

playftseforme Sun 01-May-16 00:23:07

If I grow my hair, it looks like Crystal tips, almost regardless of what I do. Swishy hair was never to be mine, so while I have no helpful advice, you have my sympathy!

NoBetterName Sun 01-May-16 00:33:28

Mine looks like that if it is around shoulder length, but gets better if it is slightly longer (and there is enough weight to pull the waves/frizz down). I do ask the hairdresser to ruthlessly thin it though and a bit of Argan oil helps. I'm trying to step away from the straighteners for the sake of my hair condition, but otherwise I just embrace the 70s look and think of it as a feature rather than a flaw wink

TinkerbellaPan Sun 01-May-16 02:26:17

Keep it curly, follow the curly girl method (or at least parts of it), and get a curly hairdresser. Usual recommendation is Matthew James, based in Birmingham. I forget his salon name, but a quick Google should find him. He is well worth the journey particularly if you are like I was and have never left a salon happy... He's a bloody miracle worker grin

dogdrifts Sun 01-May-16 02:38:20

ME too. But as it has been like for the last 45 years, and reverts to the same thing however it is cut, I have learned to accept it. grin if all else fails, put it up wet into a bun first thing in the morning, or get a pixie cut. Both have worked at different stages of my life (extremely formal workplace, and sahm respectively), but these days I just put a bit of Mongolian oil in it and let it do what it likes. Don't put a dryer or any styling tools anywhere near it. I went through a phase of trying every product known to man, but my hair laughs in their faces. Hey ho. Embrace your crystal tips. There is nothing to fix it. It's handy on hallowe'en for a quick witch costume without the wig, too, especially once the grey sets in.

dogdrifts Sun 01-May-16 02:41:46

I should clarify that I use the oil merely to conform to expected cultural behaviour, not because it actually does anything. It smells nice though. The hairdresser even kindly flogged me some Mongolian oil curl stuff too. If I am feeling particularly in need of pretending to conform to media induced beauty standards, I put that in as well. That doesn't do anything either. It's just a bit thicker. And also smells nice.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 01-May-16 08:03:15

A good cut is vital to stop that frizzy triangle look.

Things that work for me-

Frizz Ease serum
Loreal extra ordinary oil
Tigi Blow Out Balm

And the thing that's made the most difference is a Parlux hairdrier.

AlmostScully Sun 01-May-16 08:45:23

I used to get called Crystal Tips! For me ... Shorter hair with layers from a hairdresser who doesn't fight the curl. I use aveda be curly hair stuff and only wave a hairdryer (ghd) near it if I cannot get away with it still being damp in a work meeting. Oh and if I am somewhere with high humidity I just give up and accept my inner crystal tips smile

AlmostScully Sun 01-May-16 08:51:44

Oh I forgot - I've also got one of those microfibre towel thingies that I use to get most of moisture from hair before I do anything with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now