Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me with how to dress and where to buy the clothes..?

(6 Posts)
Illthinkofausernamelater Thu 28-Apr-16 19:34:04

I have lost my way with clothes. I had children late, then turned 40, and here I am now 45 and no idea what to wear any more. Pre children I was smart for work but very casual at home ie jeans and t shirts. I now work from home and just feel so dowdy and scruffy in jeans all the time. Can anyone help me with any suggestions of what look I could go for? I kind of hanker for a quirky casual but don't know how! Im 5 foot 7 and a size 14/16, ie a bit overweight but fairly in proportion. Any suggestions would be so helpful!

Oly5 Thu 28-Apr-16 21:34:13

Hello! I'm 39 and work from home most of the time too. Two kids. Around the house I tend to slob in PJs but when I'm out shopping/doing the school run etc I tend to wear slim dark jeans, ballet pumps, a nice top and scarf etc. I'm a big fan of nice coats as they always make you feel more dressed up. I have several belted macs on the go at the moment in a nice crisp cotton.
What's your budget? I could link to some things I've bought recently if that helps.

TryingtobePrepared Thu 28-Apr-16 22:07:57

I felt the same after dd2 spolit myself by having house of colour and style days, expensive but I've been much better at buying the right things for me and although I have less clothes have much more to wear

MoonlightandMusic Thu 28-Apr-16 22:21:13

Have you had a look at Cos? You do have to try things on as some of them look rather sack-like off, but great on, and vice versa. They do definitely do comfortable but smart though.

swimster01 Fri 29-Apr-16 19:23:40

I would buy a couple of blazers and some nice scarves so you can quickly pop them over a t-shirt/top if you need to nip out.

Nettletheelf Fri 29-Apr-16 21:21:21

Yes to the good coats and jackets.

M&S and Karen Millen are the motherlode of both.

Also, get cropped trousers for warmer weather, or a different type of jeans. Girlfriend jeans are more feminine than some other cuts.

Jettison the trainers for a bit and get some pretty flat shoes, or coloured Converse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now