Shampoo recommendations for fine hair please

(15 Posts)
starfish4 Tue 26-Apr-16 14:12:18

I'm in my 40s with fine hair which is starting to look constantly dull whether it's clean or dirty, suspect it's my age. Have tried going silicone free and tried Liz Earle and my hair looked even worse. Can anyone recommend a shampoo to add a bit of a shine and keep fine hair manageable please.

WizardOfToss Wed 27-Apr-16 08:14:58

No idea, but bumping as interested!

I find highlights 'thicken up' my hair, and it's improved on HRT..

ThomasHardyPerennial Wed 27-Apr-16 16:23:32

I started using this shampoo a few months ago. It makes my fine hair feel lovely, and very shiny. It is pretty expensive though, so I don't use it every day, but I can tell a difference when I haven't used it for a bit.

I take a few supplements too, but was pretty much called an idiot last time I mentioned that blush.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 27-Apr-16 16:47:24

Bumping! I have fine thin hair too.

I tried Mark Hill MiraclOILicious shampoo and conditioner after getting some mini sizes as a Christmas present and I did like it. Weirdly though the conditioner doesn't seem to be available at the moment, so I've bought a bundle on Amazon with a different conditioner and volumising mousse. I am put off by the references to hair being sexy in the advertising, but I am willing to ignore that for nice hair. However, it's not the cheapest, so I am hoping for some good recommendations here!

I have flirted with sulphate-free (the Mark Hill one doesn't have SLS in it) but my hair started falling out - I think it was partly because the shampoos I tried didn't wash out dry shampoo or volumising dust/texturising powder stuff and my scalp was getting choked. So I started doing two or three washes with the Mark Hill one then a wash with some Aussie stuff I had if I'd been using dry shampoo. I want a shampoo that makes my hair feel like SLS-free shampoos do, but that washes products out; doesn't make my scalp spotty; and doesn't make my hair static.

Tried Liz Earle - made my hair feel lovely, but my scalp got itchy and spotty and then my hair started falling out due to not washing out product properly.

Tried The Body Shop Rainforest Shine Volumising, but it made my hair staticky.

Steben Wed 27-Apr-16 20:26:00

Someone on here recommended kerstase cristalliste - it is brilliant!

ThinkPinkStink Wed 27-Apr-16 20:37:18

Maybe the styling product could be the answer, I swear by Bumble and Bumble Thickening hairspray. I just waft it on after brushing before drying.

WellTidy Wed 27-Apr-16 20:39:05

I have fine hair too. I don't hVe shampoo or conditioner recommendations, but batiste dry shampoo does thicken mine a lot whenever I use it.

EatShitDerek Wed 27-Apr-16 20:40:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GinnyHendricks Wed 27-Apr-16 20:41:08

Loreal Fibrology for me! Definitely makes a difference

FreeButtonBee Wed 27-Apr-16 20:43:16

Swell shampoo and conditioner. It is not cheap but it's super cleansing and you need so little. I use one pump of Philip Kingsley itchy flaky scalp shampoo first to clean my horrible scalp and then 1/2 pumps of swell shampoo to get my hair squeaky clean. It's even got me through the crazy post pg hormonal grease fest

Although I do want to try that kerestase cristallise stuff.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Wed 27-Apr-16 20:47:40

Pureology volume. It's magic. I usually love a shampoo for about half a bottle and then it starts to weigh down my hair or irritate my scalp.
Currently trying a different one Pureology colour care I think blue bottle smells of coconut it's also great.
Been using it for over a year it's fab.

NNalreadyinuse Wed 27-Apr-16 21:06:40

The loreal clay one is nice. It makes your hair not need to be washed every day, which helps with the lankness and you can use dry shampoo if you need to, which gives volume

bakeoffcake Wed 27-Apr-16 21:13:33

I use John Freida's Volume and Colour shampoo, as I dye my hair. I also use his volumising spray. It's all in a blue packaging.

My hair is very fine but these products work really well.

Tigerblue Thu 28-Apr-16 15:16:16

I'm in my 40s as well and it doesn't look as good as it used to either. For years I've used Herbal Essences bee strong as it's the one product that stopped static hair in the winter and kept my hair manageable. I'm looking to change it to see if this helps, but it might work as a change for you. DD is still using it and her fine hair is lovely and glossy.

oldlaundbooth Thu 28-Apr-16 16:22:04

Aveda Rosemary and Ever Pure - good but expensive.

I have fine, blonde hair and getting body into it is a nightmare.

Honestly, for me, the cheaper ones are better. Alberto Balsam and Johnson's baby shampoo are the best.

You should check out the recent thread on silicone free shampoos - good for fine hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now