Best way to wax eyebrows at home for a novice?

(8 Posts)
Specksofwhiteallaround Tue 26-Apr-16 13:12:05

I've recently taken the plunge and had my eyebrows professionally waxed for the first time but I found it really hard to actually find the time to go out and get it done so would like to try doing them myself at home now I have the right shape. Can anyone recommend the best product to use? Any tips would be gratefully received smile

dementedpixie Tue 26-Apr-16 13:15:40

I haven't tried waxing at home bit will pluck in between waxing sessions

DerelictMyBalls Tue 26-Apr-16 13:17:18

I wouldn't try waxing at home and I am a seasoned eyebrow groomer!

If you can't get to the salon for a wax, just pluck.

Specksofwhiteallaround Tue 26-Apr-16 13:38:20

Ah ok, I used to try to pluck but as I have a lot of very fine blonde hairs I found it impossible. Guess I'll resign myself to being hairy then blush

Thanks for the reply.

TheNotoriousPMT Tue 26-Apr-16 14:06:12

I did try waxing them at home. Once.

Slowdecrease Tue 26-Apr-16 15:09:55

I'm a trained beauty therapist and this would be my advice.

Don't bother with any of the pre waxed strips or anything like that, go to the wholesalers (do you have a Sallys near you? They sell to the public) and buy a small head roller wax canister specifically for facial hair, and some wax strips - paper will do. Brush your eyebrows through with a brow comb or if you don't have one of those use a clean mascara brush (just rinse it till the water runs clear). Apply vaseline to any hairs you DONT want to remove, this will ensure there are no nasty mistakes. Apply a little talc to the area you want to wax with a cotton bud - this will highlight even the fine hairs. Now. heat the wax up in the microwave but only for a few seconds (15 max) and always test it on the back of your hand first. If you don't have a microwave you can do it in a cup of boiling water. Bear in mind it will cool quite quickly so you need to work quite fast though you can reheat it. Apply the wax with roller onto the area you want to wax. Apply the strip on top of the wax and smooth the strip down firmly twice, always in the direction the hair grows. Then, holding the skin taut, pull the strip off in one motion. If you have missed any hairs it is ok to wax again but never more than twice on the same area as you can damage the skin. After waxing wipe a little oil (any will do, even olive oil) on a cotton pad on the area to remove any residue of wax. If you can't purchase the wax from a wholesalers just buy it from boots etc, warm up as advised on the bottle and apply with cotton buds, spatulas provided.

HeyMacWey Tue 26-Apr-16 15:15:05

Have you thought about learning to thread yourself?

Lots of tutorials on you tube and it doesn't take long to do.

Becomingmom Tue 26-Apr-16 15:17:05

I went full steam ahead and took skin off too. Super embarrassing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now