Talk

Advanced search

Primer... Yes, that old chestnut!

(17 Posts)
Karcheer Tue 26-Apr-16 09:22:06

I've been using the lauramercier primer for a while (just finished the tub), it's ok, but I don't like the smell and I'm not sure my makeup really stays on any longer.
I've got bad skin, lumps, bumps, red bits etc

Can someone suggest something that will actually make my makeup stick. Happy to pay for a premium brand if it'll work...

Thank you.

DerelictMyBalls Tue 26-Apr-16 09:38:04

I use Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel. It's brilliant!

Scoose Tue 26-Apr-16 09:39:36

I love the ysl touché eclat primer. I used to use Lancôme la base but prefer the ysl one.

candykane25 Tue 26-Apr-16 09:41:54

I've got tbebenrfir majorette blusher which is like a tinted primer for cheeks, it's brilliant. That
Annan eye primer is all I need really.

candykane25 Tue 26-Apr-16 09:42:15

* the benefit

emsyj Tue 26-Apr-16 09:50:48

I would try a fixing spray rather than a primer. I do makeup on the side and I use Kryolan fixier spray. It sets solid! Also if you use a foundation that isnt very long-lasting you will struggle to keep it on regardless. I use a silicon based product on brides and it lasts for ever. I dont find silicon is that great for lumpy spotty skin (I have that too sad ) if used all the time tho. Estee Lauder Double Wear is the only product that lasts all day on me.

emsyj Tue 26-Apr-16 09:53:21

Oh, if you want a primer rec then Nars Light Optimising Primer is fantastic and smells amazing.

notthestereotype Tue 26-Apr-16 10:00:06

Watching with interest

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 10:03:35

Nivea men sensitive aftershave balm. So much cheaper and waaaaay better than the bespoke products - yes, I'm serious!

crookedhooker Tue 26-Apr-16 10:47:23

Same here holly its brilliant. I do however keep having to move it from DHs side of the bathroom as he keeps trying to claim it.

LordEmsworth Tue 26-Apr-16 18:51:26

Becca Ever Matte. It's brill.

Sothatsflatwhite Tue 26-Apr-16 18:54:11

Hourglass veil but is a rip off

I was also told my problem was dehydration, making make up cake and go shit

NattyGolfJerkin Tue 26-Apr-16 18:57:13

Whatever you do, match the type of primer to the foundation you use. So if you use a silicone based foundation, go for a silicone based primer. Water based primer with water based foundations, etc. Prevents it all balling up or going weird when you start layering make up on.

Lenazabaglione Tue 26-Apr-16 20:05:37

Ooh, Natty, how do you tell if it's water or silicon based? Might explain why my foundation looks worse with primer...

NattyGolfJerkin Wed 27-Apr-16 14:02:53

Generally it's all in the ingredients lists. The first few items in the list should tell you. Silicone foundations will have lots of ingredients ending in 'come' or 'ane' eg dimethicone and feel velvety on the skin (often used for pore filling and mattifying). Water based should have 'Aqua' as the first ingredient and will usually be more liquidy in feel than silicone based and are often sold as suitable for dehydrated skin.. Oil based ones will have oils as their top few ingredients, often sold as suitable for dry skins.

Lenazabaglione Wed 27-Apr-16 18:03:12

Fantastic! Thank you. (Sorry for highjack OP).

ElspethFlashman Wed 27-Apr-16 18:07:53

Have heard so much about that Nivea men's one. Must try it. I'm using a Bioderma sebium pore filler thing at the mo which seems to make foundation apply better. Not sure about making it long wearing though as I prefer fixing sprays for that. The new L'Oréal Infallible spray seems to be working well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now