Moisturiser for under make up

(18 Posts)
dinkydoodah Mon 25-Apr-16 23:02:34

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to make up application. I use to just put foundation straight onto my face with no moisturiser or primer. However, as I've got older my skin is getting a little drier and this regime doesn't work anymore. Can you please recommend a good moisturiser for underneath make up? Also, do I use primer on top of moisturiser or instead of it ? Once I get to grips with this I will ask about concealer - this is all new to me!! Thanks

BluebellGal Mon 25-Apr-16 23:45:28

Use a serum followed by a moisturiser, before applying foundation.

I can recommend Superdrug's simply hydrating pure serum (£2.69) and for a light daytime moisturiser the Neutrogena oil free moisturiser is good (currently £3.29 in SD) or you might want one with an SPF in. I don't think there is any need for primer unless you're going to a special event and need it to last all day and look perfect for photos.

I use a heavier serum and moisturiser at night time after cleansing (Olay Regenerist)

BluebellGal Mon 25-Apr-16 23:48:05

Oh and my favourite concealers at the moment are Fit me by Maybelline and the Collection Lasting Perfection - both are really good and around the £5 mark

LordEmsworth Tue 26-Apr-16 07:25:58

Primer goes on top if moisturiser, if you use it (not required).

Ferrerotoffeemint Tue 26-Apr-16 08:47:31

Yes to neutrogena oil free. I find that serums can make my makeup sit in pores so just be aware that could happen. For something a bit more nourishing I use cliniques dramatically different moisturiser which I got as a sample. My make up sits nicely on this and you only need the tiniest bit as a little goes a long way and it feels so smooth on.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 26-Apr-16 08:53:01

Whatever you use let it sink into your skin for at least 20 mins before applying make up smile

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 26-Apr-16 08:58:35

OP says her skin is dry, so oil free moisturiser nigh not be a good idea.

I actually use an oil, very lightly, over a serum, sometimes I skip moisturiser. The only difficulty with this is to find a foundation that won't oxidise on contact with the oil.

Ferrerotoffeemint Tue 26-Apr-16 10:33:56

I use facial oil every other night and have dry sensitive skin and find that oil free moisturiser does work. And if I'm feeling especially dry then I use my Clinique ddml.

dinkydoodah Tue 26-Apr-16 21:35:04

Thanks for the replies - really useful and I will be trying all the things mentioned. I must say the super drug items mentioned sound great for the price! I must add although my face feels dry on my cheeks and forehead, my nose and chin are a bit oily so maybe I do need a combination item? I only ever use NIvea cream at night and only on my cheeks as it's quite greasy. I realise I can't use this in the day under make up as it seems too heavy so I do need something else.

BluebellGal Tue 26-Apr-16 21:59:59

sounds like your skin is dehydrated rather than dry, so just go for a light oil free daytime moisturiser with a light serum, and stick with the nivea for nightime.

clutterfly Tue 26-Apr-16 22:39:28

I use a Nivea body lotion - it isn't too heavy. It's provides the perfect amount of moisture for my skin, especially pre-make up application. I used to use the Clinique Dramatically Different lotion but couldn't justify it after awhile.

clutterfly Tue 26-Apr-16 22:40:30

After trying many, a Nivea body lotion now does the trick for me. Not too heavy, not very expensive either!

clutterfly Tue 26-Apr-16 22:41:28

Oops, there went that lost first post!

dinkydoodah Tue 26-Apr-16 22:43:49

Nivea sounds good, thanks. Is Clinique expensive?

clutterfly Tue 26-Apr-16 22:52:33

About £17 for a bottle I think the Clinique is. The massive Nivea bottle is about £3/4. I tried the Nivea day and night creams but they were too thick and heavy for me.

ImBrian Wed 27-Apr-16 07:19:43

I use either Aldi serum and moisturiser which is about £3 a pot or Mizon snail slime gel and moisturiser (not its real name).

Both are great, I'm less spotty and my skin is just the right level of hydrated as it can get over dry/greasy.

I also use a Korean sun screen every day which is great, non greasy, no spots and hopefully will stop me getting any more haggard!

dinkydoodah Wed 27-Apr-16 18:22:34

Clinique sounds good but a bit too pricey. Have heard good things about Aldi beauty products so thanks I'll try them smile

Pearlmum1 Wed 27-Apr-16 18:29:22

I know it's more expensive but a sorbet gel with lots of hydration is best for under foundation, really hydrating and not at all shiny! Dior sorbet hydra life or Chanel' hydra range..probably about 45? But they are on price match so 10% off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now