Talk

Advanced search

Birkenstock shoes

(20 Posts)
Frolicacid Sun 24-Apr-16 20:58:56

Has anyone had these / seen them in real life?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121303935011

I'm in my usual inbetween season footwear dilemma. I usually like in my ugg Kensington or noira's in winter and my birkies / havaianas in summer.
I need something wide - ballet flat types never fit. I love these, but am put off by the price in all honesty - but could be persuaded if someone were to tell me they are just as comfy as the sandals.

Any other suggestions of what might do welcome. I'm going back to work (pretty casual) from maternity leave in 2 weeks and would love to go with something nice on my feet.

DelphiniumBlue Sun 24-Apr-16 23:21:09

They may well be comfy but, and I mean this nicely, they are hideous. I can't imagine any scenario where you could wear those but not trainers.
If you can't do trainers or converse, then ankle boots might work.
Next had some very pretty flat pointy shoes with an ankle strap, in a wide fitting - I think in navy, coral and tan, and New Look also do wide fit ballet shoes - I can't walk in ballet shoes without them falling off, so no good for me - but if your issue is only the width, they might work for you.
I always have this dilema in spring, and truthfully have never yet fully resolved it, as in haven't found a "go to" answer. Some people recommend brogues for this sort of weather, but I've found they don't look nice on my wide feet, and I never know what to wear with them.
Any shoe designers out there?

NoMudNoLotus Mon 25-Apr-16 01:15:17

Oo dear - no OP I'm afraid they look awful.

I second Brogues .

MrsLogicFromViz Mon 25-Apr-16 14:25:20

I have a pair of tobacco brown slingback Birkies shoes. Yes, they do look pretty hoof hideous, but are the soft footbed and therefore dead comfy. I tend to wear mine as slippers.

leedy Mon 25-Apr-16 14:33:23

I really don't like those particular Birkenstock shoes, they look far too ... orthopaedic.

They do, however, do some similar but more normal shoe like numbers which I lived in last year when I had plantar fasciitis and couldn't wear much else (the Birkenstock arch support was the only thing that worked shoe-wise for my foot pain) - they're just as comfy as the sandals and are as wide in the toe box without looking as wide IYKWIM. E.g:

www.littletreeshoes.com/iona-black-natural-leather/
www.littletreeshoes.com/islay-ladies-nut-natural-leather/

waitingforgodot Mon 25-Apr-16 14:33:25

I love traditional Birkenstocks and live in them in summer but these are just bad. Don't buy them! I have wide feet and have bought a lovely pair of pointy leopard print flat shoes from new look. They go with everything

duckyneedsaclean Mon 25-Apr-16 14:37:05

Ohh no, they are not nice. Second trainers.

Frolicacid Mon 25-Apr-16 19:44:50

Ha ha! A unanimous no! Can I blame post natal hormones?
Back to square one then 🙂
I can't do trainers or converse. Pointy shoes really aren't my style.
I will look at some brogues.
Thank you for the link leedy. I'm not keen enough on those to spend that much.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 25-Apr-16 19:48:57

I really like them blush

Frolicacid Mon 25-Apr-16 19:50:42

So do I LEM! I was just looking at them again and hovering over the buy it now button. I'm more confused about sizing than anything.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 25-Apr-16 19:50:49

Loving the iona but ££££££

TheoriginalLEM Mon 25-Apr-16 19:52:01

I have the sandals and I love them. I'd have to try on the shoes though

Yika Mon 25-Apr-16 19:53:41

Have a look at some Spanish brands, they are brilliant for combining comfort with casual style. e.g. Camper, Pikolinos, Zinda.

BennyTheBall Mon 25-Apr-16 20:02:31

I completely love Birkenstocks. I have several Arizonas and about 3 pairs of Gizehs.

They are the most comfortable sandals ever. I can't wear flip flops as they are too flat and hurt my feet.

SwedishEdith Mon 25-Apr-16 20:13:14

What about these? Any good?

balkanscot Mon 25-Apr-16 20:25:13

I like them, too.

If I wasn't holding off in favour of buying these I would be seriously tempted. blush

Frolicacid Mon 25-Apr-16 20:32:33

Have I found my people?!

It's the trying on thing that's getting me LEM. I'm usually a 3, but wear a 2 in Birkenstock sandals. I'm assuming it would be the same, but the company is in Italy so returns could be a ffaff.

I love campers yika, so will look into the other brands.

I like those sweedish, and red or dead usually fir me well.

Very pretty balkan.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Mon 25-Apr-16 20:36:12

If you like them buy them! Not everyone can like the same shoes.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 26-Apr-16 10:08:36

See,I'm usually a 7 but a
6 in the flip floppy birdies. I now have a pair in size 8 so there is no rhyme or reason

Yika Tue 26-Apr-16 21:58:27

El naturalista is another one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now