Talk

Advanced search

Healthy nails on a budget

(18 Posts)
MummyBtothree Sat 23-Apr-16 12:18:18

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to achieve nice strong nails for the summer?. Mine are a bit tired looking & not so strong these days but I am on quite a tight budget. Thank you smile

EmpressTomatoKetchup Sat 23-Apr-16 12:44:33

I rub Vaseline on mine, I think there may have been a thread about it a while ago.......

leadrightfoot Sat 23-Apr-16 20:54:39

Any moisturiser religiously rubbed into cuticles every night and clear coat of revelon top coat done every 3 days
Decent diet including oils and fats

LuckySantangelo1 Sat 23-Apr-16 20:56:28

Take cod liver oil. Get some sunshine. Use rubber gloves for all washing up/housework. Moisturise a few times a day.

Seeyounearertime Sat 23-Apr-16 20:56:37

Shameless place mark.

But, will moisturisers help with cracking and spiky skin on finger tips near cuticle?

MummyBtothree Sun 24-Apr-16 14:34:00

Thanks everyone smile

ABetaDad1 Sun 24-Apr-16 14:39:51

Beautiful nails?

Do what I do.

Wash your hands with gentle soap, get a dishwasher, stay away from the nail varnish, cut them regularly, avoid manual work and if you have to do it get some industrial gloves. grin

OurBlanche Sun 24-Apr-16 14:45:25

Use any oil in the kitchen cupboards as cuticle reviver.

Gloves, sunlight, diet and Mavala Nail Strengthener while you wiat forthem to grow through. It costs about £8 but lasts forever and is by far the best paint on strengthener I have ever found for my soft, bendy nails.

If you have £20 in all to spend, Mavala plus Lush's Lemony Flutter Cuticle cream and a hand cream of your choice. My hands have gone from garden knackered, broken nailed, cracked cuticled nastiness to beautifully soft, tidy and strong nailed in less than a week

itsbetterthanabox Sun 24-Apr-16 14:45:45

Cuticle oil. A good one used daily on the cuticle, skin and nail itself.
File only in one direction.
Wear gloves when cleaning.

Seeyounearertime Sun 24-Apr-16 14:49:11

get a dishwasher

This is a problem, I am the dishwasher. grin

GinAndLemon Sun 24-Apr-16 14:53:55

I refuse to spend money on a manicure/pedicure but can't bare having crap nails. I got the gel ones for a while but they just destroy them! I use hurts bees hand cream just before bed, its properly waxy. I always use the Sally Hansen moisturising nail varnish remover, then trim my nails to as short as possible and paint with my recent discovery, L'oreal le vernis a l'huile nail polish which dries quickly and gives a gorgeous glossy finish... Whether there is actually oil in it I'm not sure how that would work but it doesn't seem to dry mine out.

Blue2014 Sun 24-Apr-16 15:01:47

Baby oil

TommyandGina Sun 24-Apr-16 15:06:57

I've been using Sally Hansen miracle nail. My nails were peeling and weak. I cut them reasonable short and painted them daily with the miracle cure, a week later and they were looking stronger. I took the layers of miracle cure off using normal remover, trimmed them again to cut off any more peeling and repeated the procedure, making sure I painted the ends of the nails as well. A month down the line and I had much stronger, non peeling nails. Am now using the miracle cure as a base coat and have good strong nails. Make sure you wear washing up gloves for all household chores.

OurBlanche Sun 24-Apr-16 15:21:36

I got the gel ones for a while but they just destroy them! Crikey! I have gel polish again (now my nails have been revived) and I get them because a) they last for about 4 - 6 weeks and b) they do no damage to my nails at all.

But the lovely lad that does mine does not use those electric zubby things, which might make a difference - oh, and she uses OPI as, in her opinion, it does least damage to nails.

travailtotravel Sun 24-Apr-16 16:18:16

Eating properly makes a big difference - or popping one of those skin, hair, nails vitamin pills as well as moisturising.

delilabell Sun 24-Apr-16 16:27:28

I've just been gel free for the first time in 14 months. My nails were a state!
I've cut them short and am using a nail strengthener and a sally Hanson cuticle and nail oil.
After 2 weeks they're starting to get stronger.

YorkieDorkie Sun 24-Apr-16 16:36:15

CND rescue RX is the best thing I've used. I think you can get it from salons only.

MissTurnstiles Sun 24-Apr-16 19:15:51

I started taking a vitamin D supplement in the depths of winter and have noticed in recent weeks that my nails have become amazingly strong.

Remember that anything dietary / supplementary will take a few months to bear fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now