Talk

Advanced search

Please help me make my skin glowing and less blah

(13 Posts)
marushka82 Fri 22-Apr-16 21:17:19

I've been reading a few threads here about improving the condition of your skin to make it glow but I was wondering if you could give me some recommendations. I'm going to be 34 this year and my skin is just blah - dull, doesn't feel like it's moisturised properly (flakey bits that only reveal themselves when I apply foundation!), with some acne scars (more on that in a moment). I've never had really nice skin but since having DD it just went HORRIBLE. I started getting cystic acne that would not budge with any over the counter creams and would take weeks to heal only for new cysts to appear straight next to healed ones
I've been to see the GP and I'm currently on an antibiotic which cleared the cysts within a month and I haven't had new ones since smile
I eat clean, exercise 4-5 times a week, don't drink alcohol, smoke v. little (I am going to quit, I know it's not good for my skin), drink over 2 litres of water/green tea. What am I doing wrong?
I'm trying not to use anything harsh on my skin: gentle cleanser (Cetaphil), micelar water, I moisturise (recently use an Avene moisturiser but though I love Avene I didn't feel it did a good job). The annoying thing is that while my makeup looks ok-ish in the morning, by midday my nose and chin get all shiny and at the end of the day my nose is red (like it has a life of its own, wtf).

Please help! I want to have nice clear skin which has more or less uniform colour (and no dryness that shows under foundation!)

I'm tempted to buy the Embryolisse moisturiser - is it worth the good reviews?
HELP :D

marushka82 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:58:25

Anyone?

violetbunny Sat 23-Apr-16 09:23:06

I would start by addressing whether you are exfoliating and moisturising well enough.

Try a liquid exfoliant containing alpha hydroxy acid - it will help get rid of any dry flakes and help your skin to glow. Try Alpha H or Paula's Choice. Physical exfoliants (scrubs) are too harsh and will only aggravate things.

Make sure you're using a decent moisturiser day and night. It's important to understand if your skin is dry (lacking oil) or dehydrated (lacking water). If you're getting oily during the day that suggests your skin is dehydrated. Look for hyaluronic acid as an ingredient as it's non greasy but very good for dehydrated skin. There are also hyaluronic acid serums around which you may find will help boost your skin's hydration without exacerbating the oiliness. Again Paula's Choice do some great products but there are plenty of others out there (Hyaluron, etc).

You may also find that using a light mattifying primer like Smasbox Photo Finish Light helps extend the wear of your makeup, if you're not using one already. Stick to long wear foundations (Bobbi Brown and MAC make some good ones) and use oil blotting sheets in the day if needed.

Finally, if the underlying cause of your skin changes is hormonal then at some point you may wish to discuss with your doctor whether the contraceptive pill would be an appropriate course of treatment (depending of course on your family planning situation!).

Hope this helps.

violetbunny Sat 23-Apr-16 09:26:36

Also, just thought I should add that I have found Cetaphil was causing a lot of skin redness for me. Odd as my dermatologist had recommended it to me whilst I was receiving acne treatment, but it seems some people do react to it despite its supposedly gentle nature. I have oily dehydrated skin and use the Elemental Herbology Purify and Soothe cleanser (which should be used with a hot cloth - this itself also helps with exfoliation).

ilovesthediff Sat 23-Apr-16 09:30:15

Don't overdo it. Cleanse, tone, moisturise morn and night and exfoliate and face mask once a week. In the morning go for an spf - Liz Arden 8 hour face cream spf 15 is amazing. Try orange water or rose water as toner. Rose hip oil - trilogy - is good at night. Drink green juice too - really helps!

Laquila Sat 23-Apr-16 09:31:49

LRP do a good mattifying moisturiser in their Effaclar range. I also love their Toleriane Fluide mousturiser for smoothing and hydrating.

If you want to cheat then Elemis Radiance Illuminator (something like that) is bloody brilliant!!

NapoleonsNose Sat 23-Apr-16 09:40:33

I've recently started using Sanctuary Therapist's Secret Facial Oil and its completely got rid of my dry flaky patches. You put a few drops on at night and a little goes a long way. It seems to have brightened up my otherwise dull and pale complexion.

marushka82 Sat 23-Apr-16 13:14:24

Thank you everyone! I agree that I might be overdoing it and I have a lot of products I bought and started in the hope they will help rather than doing some proper research and spending more on better products. I have Paula's Choice exfoliant with 2% salicylic acid (I think it's called Anti redness exfoliating solution) and another which has fruit acids in it that you leave on your face and then wash off. I was hoping to see some spectacular results with Paula's choice but maybe I need to give it more time?
I think the problem is that I don't have a routine where I use the same products because I have so many and want to finish them off before buying something else to stick to.
My moisturiser at the moment is Superdrug Optimum PhytoGlyc-Age which has spf 15 but I might give that to DH to use up while I get myself something else. I also have 3 foundations which I feel so nothing for my skin and I feel I should invest in something a bit more pricey. I have Bourjois Radiance Reveal healthy mix and L'Oreal true match but they all just sit on the skin and don't really seem to blend in. But I suppose I should make sure the skin is moisturised first because if not, any foundation will look crap! The most annoying thing are those red marks left on my cheek after the last lot of pimples cleared up, nothing seems to work to fade them....

midnightmoomoo Sat 23-Apr-16 15:56:15

The best thing I've used for those red marks is Clarins skin repair concentrate. It used to be SOS which is how I still think of it so if I've got the name wrong I'll post back. It's prices but you only need one pump so it lasts months and months.
I've been using LRP effaclar duo cream on my t-zone since Feb half term and that's been brilliant for keeping any spots under control and not leaving those pesky marks! It hasn't dried my skin at all which I thought it might, I've been really pleased with it.

marushka82 Sun 24-Apr-16 14:27:38

Ok, I got myself an LPR moisturiser and will give it a go.
I also tried Chanel Vitalumiere foundation but while it felt very smooth it still showed my skin was a bit dry.
My friend has raved about Bare Minerals foundation - what are your thoughts? Is it worth the hype?

SorrelForbes Sun 24-Apr-16 14:31:33

I'm a big fan of Jan Marini's Bioglycolic cleanser.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Sun 24-Apr-16 16:10:21

Giving up the fags completely will make a huge difference. I had terrible skin when I smoked only 3 a day. Could you try one of those vape thingys?

marushka82 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:35:42

I agree, but I'm afraid of vaping - my DH quit smoking and is now addicted to his vape!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now