Talk

Advanced search

Fine curly hair. What do you do with yours?

(16 Posts)
elotrolado Fri 22-Apr-16 12:51:51

I have what I think is the worst combination of hair, fine, curly and prone to frizz.

Looks half decent straightened using GHD and Bedhead Straighten Out but within 5 minutes of venturing outside in the British climes it starts to frizz and straggle! I have a one length shoulder cut (layers made it look finer when straightened).

Any tips? Products etc? I've resorted to wearing it up 90% of the time in a 'mum bun' as it feels so messy when it's down.

Don't want it short as i've been there an it doesn't suit my face shape (roundish)

smile

Aquamarine70 Sun 24-Apr-16 07:09:21

Try using an anti humidity hair spray to stop the frizz after straightening.

Suzietwo Sun 24-Apr-16 07:25:18

Is it fine but lots of it or fine and thin? I have the former and keep it short and never dry or brush it

I have the same hair as you and brush is once after washing then put it up in a bun until it's dry then just run my fingers through it. I think it'd look better with an anti frizz product to finish it off but I am not a fan of product.

elotrolado Sun 24-Apr-16 10:48:09

Thanks. I suppose it's fine with a fair amount, not loads but not thin. Perhaps I need to embrace the curl more. Will definitely try the anti humidity hairspray!

margaritasbythesea Sun 24-Apr-16 10:50:41

I have thick, fine, curly hair. I wash I once every two days and dry in a cotton sheet. I only ever comb it when wet. I then put a few drops of hair oil through without dragging out the curl and leave to dry naturally. People tell me I have nice hair but it is not as nice as I would like it to be. It is prone to looking straggly and messy.

DerelictMyBalls Sun 24-Apr-16 10:56:04

I would stop straightening it, it ruins the condition and makes it more difficult to wear curly.

I would suggest having some layers cut in if you are going to wear it curly. It seems like madness to have a hair cut for straight hair if you don't have straight hair!

Mine is fine and curly and I find the following things to be beneficial:

1) I have my hair cut at an afro hair salon - they understand curly hair better than most.

2) Never use products containing sulfates or silicones

3) Moisturise hair daily with a light leave-in spray such as Davines OI all-in-one

4) wash with a light co-wash and finish with a curl creme

5) sleep on a silk pillowcase to minimise frizz

6) avoid heat styling except on special occasions

Wolpertinger Sun 24-Apr-16 13:07:15

Give up straightening and enjoy the curls.

I have fine, curly hair, lots of it and a perfectly round face. I have it cut in short blunt layers so it isn't weighed down and the curl can spring up. Sort of a layered bob - get bottom layer cut to hairline length.

Try to pick shampoo and conditioner labelled fine hair, mine isn't bothered by silicones, 3 drops of hair oil - any that is on special offer to avoid frizz.

Dry naturally or on the car heaters on way to work blush running fingers through occasionally to bounce it up. Diffuser if making a special effort.

It's the ultimate low maintenance hair. Not frizzy although how good it looks is a bit random - sometimes get way more curl than others!

It does blowdry dead straight but that looks terrible with my round face, lack volume and is far too much like hard work. I now love my curls.

ShebaQueen Sun 24-Apr-16 19:42:34

My hair sounds similar to yours, I stopped washing it so frequently, I use Boots Curl Creme (cheap as chips and a tub lasts ages) and I use this www.salonsdirect.com/product/hair/hair-care-and-styling/loreal/loreal-tecni-art-next-day-hair-250ml?gclid=CKmj89K_u8sCFZUW0wod6RcHOg
to give my hair some guts - sounds bonkers I know but it works for me. I also use anti-humidity hairspray. I can't manage my hair without products sadly, which means it's not shiny, but then again it never was really, it was just frizzy.

elotrolado Sun 24-Apr-16 19:55:21

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear I'm not alone in managing this unruly mane ... Love some of these suggestions, have a silk pillowcase but haven't ever thought of drying in a cotton sheet! I would love to avoid washing so frequently but it looks greasy the next day, however maybe a decent dry shampoo could help. Think I may be sliding the GHDs away for some time ...

whatdoIget Sun 24-Apr-16 19:57:17

Wash with conditioner, then condition (sulphate and silicon free). Dry with a cotton t shirt. Then straighten it!!

EatShitDerek Sun 24-Apr-16 19:58:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KondoAttitude Sun 24-Apr-16 20:26:47

Similar to Wolpertinger. Short curly/wavy bob, semi-blowdried and brushed to encourage bouncy curls, and I use L'Oreal Elvive in the orange/gold bottle which gets rid of frizz and leaves the curls smooth and shiny.

EmmaWoodlouse Mon 25-Apr-16 16:36:03

I have a haircut that is the overall shape and length of a bob but has some layers in it to encourage the curl.

I use shampoo and conditioner, but rarely any other "products" on the day I wash my hair. I don't blow-dry it, I kind of squeeze it dry with a towel (but don't rub) and then let it dry naturally, and when it's nearly dry I use my hands as a sort of makeshift Afro comb to separate the curls a bit. On the second day I can sometimes get it to look good again by using my hands in the same way, but if it's gone a bit flat, I brush it upside-down and then use salt spray and scrunch it up with my hands to boost the curls a bit.

Rain water gives me awesome corkscrew curls that I can't get any other way so I quite like going out in the rain.

I never, ever straighten, and if my hair dries straightish by accident, I often get it wet again so I can get it curlier. My hair is too fine to be straight, it just looks limp and unhealthy.

MarvinGorilla Mon 25-Apr-16 17:29:17

Mine is fine, in loose curls. I have a cut with layers in to encourage curl (long hair). I find that products weigh it down and make it look lank rather than encourage curl. So after washing I just comb through while wet to detangle with a wide tooth comb, then spend a minute cupping it up and scrunching it in my hand to encourage the curl. Then I diffuse it til it's half dry and leave the rest to dry naturally otherwise it becomes a fluff-fest. When totally dry I scrunch again and spray with some Elnett. Done!

I can't do the curly girl method as my hair is also greasy and needs a good wash every morning.

I never wrap it up in a towel or rub it dry, I just put a towel round my neck for a sec to get the excess water off after my shower.

elotrolado Mon 25-Apr-16 17:57:51

Well I tried the curly route this morning but felt it looked a bit too '80s shaggy perm' so I went straight again! I was going to work and not quite ready to let my curls loose on the office hmm

Will definitely try some of these tips though, thanks again for all your fantastic advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now