Talk

Advanced search

help me accessorise this

(21 Posts)
WhatColourIsBest Thu 21-Apr-16 17:54:34

It's for a family wedding. Hard to know if too much white would go against the old fashioned no-white at a wedding rule, and of course the same goes for black!

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Thu 21-Apr-16 18:40:55

Silver/pewter would work. Can't go wrong with metallics.

I think it's lovely, and not too white/black for a wedding. grin

MrsLettuce Thu 21-Apr-16 19:16:46

Black / grey / silver / pewter would be fine with it but I'd be tempted to go with a strong colour. Not because you need to, just because it'd be nice.

What colours do you like? It looks like a strong pink would suit you. I think maybe one of the greys would be good for a coverup though. Do you need a hat?

WhatColourIsBest Thu 21-Apr-16 19:32:11

Thanks for the replies.

I seem to do well with coral/salmon pinks, or cerise pink. Would it be a bit too much accessorising with the same bright coloured clutch bag, cardigan/bolero and fascinator?

MrsLettuce Thu 21-Apr-16 20:02:56

Not a lot of people wear hats to weddings these days so unless it's part of the dress code (or you love wearing hats --like me--) then don;t bother with one. fascinators are best avoided TBH.

I'd not do all your accessories in one colour, no.

WhatColourIsBest Thu 21-Apr-16 21:28:22

Ok, you mentioned a strong colour, were you thinking grey cover and pink bag, pewter shoes? Am wondering how I'd put it together properly (and failing, as you can see!)

MrsLettuce Thu 21-Apr-16 22:13:56

Sorry, I've been up and down to DD, my posts didn;t make much sense.

So, I've no idea of your budget, but say you had:
a little grey or black jacket, like maybe this one
Pink shoes, these are lovely, these or these
Big clutch bag to match
Silver jewelry
You could add something like this if you wanted. A pink one might work but this would probably flatter you more.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 22-Apr-16 00:14:56

Lovely dress. I think I'd go for silver or red accessories

WhatColourIsBest Fri 22-Apr-16 11:56:46

I was out looking for accessories and saw this - is it a better choice?

MrsLettuce Fri 22-Apr-16 12:05:10

Yes! Much more suitable for one so young smile

WhatColourIsBest Fri 22-Apr-16 14:07:07

Ah thanks, though I am approaching my mid-40's!

MrsLettuce Fri 22-Apr-16 14:16:51

ReallY?? I took you for mid-twenties headlessshock

In any case, IMHO the second dress is much more flattering. The first isn't wrong, it's fine. This is better though.

WhatColourIsBest Wed 11-May-16 16:11:39

Can I just run past you accessories for the second dress? On the next catalogue the suggestions they had were nude pashmina and shoes, with either gold/nude clutch bag or silver.

I prefer the silver bag as it has an optional chain strap rather than a big square to hold on to all day long (while I chase round my unruly children!) but I'm not sure if the nude one goes best.

Is it wrong these days to match too much when accessorising? In the hoot the outstanding colour looks link but there's a peach which tones really nicely with a peachy/nude fascinator, so the silver bag would at least break a bit and pick out the silver tones in the dress. Just not sure if it's too many colours, what do you all think?

WhatColourIsBest Wed 11-May-16 16:13:55

Apologies for typos. Obviously I meant pink and not link!

Here's the nude bag

WhatColourIsBest Wed 11-May-16 16:15:32

I haven't got the pashmina yet as its on order, but think more nude (with tiny peach stripe) a would it be a little too much of the same colour?

WhatColourIsBest Wed 11-May-16 22:48:14

Anybody?

MrsLettuce Wed 11-May-16 23:05:11

I prefer the silver bag with the dress but not in combination with the nude shoes. So it'd have to be nude and nude.

With the nude/nude combo, I think I'd go with a pashmina in the lilacish pink thats in the dress rather than more nude. Well, unless the brighter pink would be more flattering on your skin tone.

But, if you must have matching bag and shoes, then, in all honesty I'd go silver/silver over nude/nude any day.

Are you sure you need / want a headpiece?

WhatColourIsBest Wed 11-May-16 23:17:00

Thanks. Is there still a thing about matching shoes and bag or is that a no-no these days?

I suppose that was my concern - I don't want to overly match. I tried to link with pink but it changed the whole look in a not very good way. I didn't even see lilac in the dress, so hadn't considered pashmina in that colour!

kickassangel Thu 12-May-16 00:07:43

pashmina that matches the little flowers, nude shoes & bag.

both dresses are great btw, and would go with those accessories.

WhatColourIsBest Thu 12-May-16 14:59:39

Ok, so here is the link to the dress and suggested colours to accessorise with, http://www.next.co.uk/g57220s2#l43367 which I used as my starting point.

The pashmina shawl is two toned and picks out one of the colours of the tiny flowers. It's the colour that least jumps out because it's subtle, but with the pashmina it becomes more obvious.

The flowers I think jump out most are the bright pink ones, there are at most 12 on the whole dress but are the strongest colour and therefore jump out more. When I first brought home a clutch bag in that bright pink colour it looked "little girly" for some reason!

I think the common advice seems to be to match the shoes and clutch bag in the nude colour?

Which of these pashmina colours would be best?
Here are a few shawls for the colour.

MrsLettuce Thu 12-May-16 20:39:48

Any of those would be fine. It's a question of personal taste! It seems you'd like to wear the nude shoes and bag so do, they look fine with it.

I think the pink would look nicest of the 3 wraps you show with the nude/nude accessories. Would also be ok with the fascinator though, TBH I do think you should ditch that unless you love it or headwear is required by the dress code.

That said, give a clean slate I'd do something like these shoes, silver bag (the one you have is fine) and a navy wrap. Well, assuming it actually is navy in the dress. If you need/want headwear then something like this or this would work well.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now