DD (10) wants short hair...

(18 Posts)
JoyceDivision Wed 20-Apr-16 21:18:37

I usually have pixie crop hair, and DD has mentioned a few times about having it cut short.

I'm unsure about this (says the person who went to the hairdressers with mum when little... knew hairdresser, he'd cut out hair for years, mum left him to give me a trim while she nipped t the bank... and came back to a well cropped 7 year old grin )

So, while I'm happy for DD to do what she likes (she has a bob at the moment) she can get upset as some kids can with playground banter.. and I have mentioned some kids will say 'you look like a boy!' purely because she has short hair (a boy in her class has long hair and she mentions he used to get called a girl hmm )

So, would you let your DD have short hair

I daren't google 'young girls with short hair' as it seems a bit odd!!

She goes to my hairdresser so I know they'd do a good cut, I don't need to be worried about that side of it.

treaclesoda Wed 20-Apr-16 21:20:56

Yes, I'd let her. But my mum forced me to have short hair as a child, so I have always vowed that my own daughter can choose to have her hair however she wants...(well, within reason).

treaclesoda Wed 20-Apr-16 21:22:36

Actually, my dd (similar age) was looking for hairstyles recently and there were quite a few really pretty, feminine short hair cuts for girls that age smile

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 20-Apr-16 21:23:01

I had short hair as a child. No one teased me for it.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 20-Apr-16 21:23:32

(To be clear, I chose to have short hair)

Meow75 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:23:36

The thing with hair is, you get to try it short and if you don't like it, it grows back.

Your DD has a bob at the moment. Surely going short doesn't HAVE mean really short.

The attached pic is going to be my next hair cut, but I'm fat, 40 and DEFINITELY don't look like her. But I still like it.

Make an appt with the hairdresser so that the three of you can discuss what she likes and what the HD thinks is possible for your DD's hair type - thick/thin, straight/wavy/curly and so on.

The HD is the expert.

RunswickBay Wed 20-Apr-16 21:23:49

My dd has short hair. She looks ace. It reflects her personality perfectly

Ratbagcatbag Wed 20-Apr-16 21:24:33

Opposite to treacle (same result though) I was desperate for short hair, mum said only lesbians had short hair hmm. Refused to let me have it cut properly (and only with cheap crappy hairdressers). As soon as I turned 16 I went from could sit on my hair up pixie crop. Been short ever since. Let her choose but you do need to google and get some ideas as to what she'd like.

My youngest cut hers off aged about 8 and it's stayed off ever since. She's 18 now.

Meow75 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:26:22

For clarification, I was made to have a short pageboy cut when at Primary School, when I desperately wanted long hair. When I was 15, I desperately wanted short hair and had it cut from bra length to a bob, and my dad went nuts because HE likes long hair on ladies. I may have had some sharp words!!

WellThankYouAJPTaylor Wed 20-Apr-16 21:27:16

My DD has had short hair twice, aged 6 and 10. Both times at her own request. I'm a bit proud of her actually as she was literally the only girl in her class (possibly in whole school) to go shorter than a bob. Nearly all have long hair.

She was accused of looking like a boy hmm once or twice by boys at school but she said she didn't care what they thought smile

She looked adorable, actually, and got many compliments!

JoyceDivision Wed 20-Apr-16 21:29:41

Wow, lots of responses,. thank you!

Meow, we sound a similar age and build, and while I am growing out my crop, pics like that make me get itchy and want to get it all chopped off again (which I know I will!)

I don't expect her to get teased, but there are couple of 'lively grin characters in her class and I would expect the 'You look like a boy' to be the first thing they'd say, so I just wanted to prep her for that possibility, rather than her get chopped then come home and say she wished she hadn't done it.

Lots of lovely comments, thank you everyone smile

ScarlettDarling Wed 20-Apr-16 21:29:41

look on Pinterest for short hairstyles for girls. Some fab ones.

ApologiesToInsectLife Wed 20-Apr-16 21:30:12

Yep my dd wanted hers short at 10. We made her wait for a bit to make sure she was certain. It was cut short last summer and it's been short ever since. She loves it, it suits her and it's so much easier! She's 11 now. It involves more upkeep in trims etc. I'm proud of her for going against the norm of ultra long hair that most girls have.

SwedishEdith Wed 20-Apr-16 21:34:01

I'd let her do what she likes. I had short hair throughout my childhood and did look like a boy but I don't remember getting too much grief for that.

Glitteryfrog Wed 20-Apr-16 21:40:21

Let her do it. Even if she hates it'll grow out quickly.
My hair has grown 0.5cm in about 3 weeks - I'm desperately trying to grow a too short bob and I'm constantly monitoring it. smile

TheTartOfAsgard Wed 20-Apr-16 21:47:44

Let her. It'll grow back and if she doesn't like it she can always wear a hat!
My son is 11 and has long silky shiny hair halfway down his back. He regularly gets mistaken for a girl but said he doesn't care, its his hair and their problem (I wish I had his confidence.) He said that as he has to wear a uniform for school his hair is the only thing he has a say in so he'll do as he pleases!

SurroMummy13 Wed 20-Apr-16 22:06:24

Let her decide.

If she doesn't like it, it'll soon grow out smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now