Talk

Advanced search

Holiday Bag Needed pls

(15 Posts)
notonyurjellybellynelly Wed 20-Apr-16 10:50:13

I'm going away for 3 weeks with my pal. We're going from Venice to Capri with stops along the way. We're travelling light, so just one suitcase each. She's 70 while we're away and I think will need me to carry the bag with our water and things when out and about for the day. Also when we are on the train to our next stop.

I've no idea what kind of bag to get. I've looked at across body types but they're kind of formal and I want casual but classic. I've also looked at bucket bags as well as women's backpacks but truth be told I'm worried the latter would look ridiculous on me at 58 and quite overweight. But perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Can anyone suggest a bag pls. I'm open to all suggestions. I like neutral colors. I can spend up to about 250 pounds but Im not label conscious at all so would also be happy with something out of Tesco or Markies if it was the right bag for me.

Thanks.

Pupsiecola Wed 20-Apr-16 17:01:05

If you're going to be carrying water etc. around whilst sightseeing I would go for a rucksack I'm afraid!! I just think it's going to be better for you and with that budget you could get a really nice one.

Pupsiecola Wed 20-Apr-16 17:02:32

Something like this perhaps?

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Whistles+Verity+Backpack/231386465,default,pd.html

Pupsiecola Wed 20-Apr-16 17:04:32

Or this:-

www.johnlewis.com/mint-velvet-mollie-tassel-backpack-grey/p2613586

ClubTropicanaDrinks Wed 20-Apr-16 17:14:50

Ooo sounds like a fab trip.

I agree, a backpack will be much easier on the back/shoulders and leave you totally hands free!

I think this is nice (but perhaps a bit small?): www.cathkidston.com/backpacks/button-spot-turnlock-backpack-1017965

And maybe think about having a money belt or something as well for valuables as a backpack can be easy pickings for pesky thieves.

FlindersKeepers Wed 20-Apr-16 17:36:01

I am current on holiday in Cambodia (cue Dead Kennedys) and am using a Pacsafe LS200, it sits cross body, is anti-theft and you can lock it to stuff - also useful in Italy. Water goes in the side pocket. I also have the smaller CS200, which I tend to use on city breaks. They look smart, handy for internal pockets. Sometimes you see them in TK Maxx, I've heard the Travelon ones are good too, but have not owned.
Backpacks are back friendly, but liable to pick pocketing as you won't see what's happening behind you. Maybe a sling-type back might work?
Enjoy your trip, sounds fab!

notonyurjellybellynelly Wed 20-Apr-16 18:14:14

Oh Wow! Thank you. smile All of those are lovely.

And I really am a numpty because I thought all backpacks looked like this and I just new it wouldn't do me any favours look wise

targus.com/us/17-spruce-ecosmart-backpack-tbb019us

I usually go on holiday alone since my marriage of a lifetime broke down a couple of years ago but I have so much fun that a couple of friends said - I want what you're having grin So I organised this trip for me and one pal, and in September Im away with another. smile

DianaT1969 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:27:45

The trip sounds great. I agree with others that a backpack can be a disadvantage in crowds as I found the pickpockets tenacious in the South (particularly in Naples). Just wanted to add that I was given a silk backed money belt once (or silk-like fabric) which was nicer against the body than the usual nylon ones. Worth looking for a cotton or silk one online IMO.

Pinkcadillac Wed 20-Apr-16 21:09:58

This is very versatile

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007CJWB2W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A160EKG78YENXU Fjällräven Totepack No.1 Case

Pinkcadillac Wed 20-Apr-16 21:23:28

This kind of thing?
www.rohan.co.uk/travel-bags-Stowaway-Daybag-8-ss16?ocode=04352250

bojorojo Wed 20-Apr-16 22:59:08

I would have a look at the Longchamp Le Pliage Travel bag range. I am a big fan of their bags. The fact they fold up when you don't need them is a bonus and they are smart. Last forever too and not just a holiday bag. Have a good trip.

specialsubject Thu 21-Apr-16 10:23:17

Don't spend a bomb on a stupid fashion backpack. They weigh loads and have no hip belt so are an ergonomic disaster. Thirty quid in an outdoor shop will get you a daypack that is actually of use. And do not buy anything.aimed at women which will be useless and overpriced. Only mn thinks backpacks are bad.

scotsgirl64 Thu 21-Apr-16 10:31:07

Have a look at Kipling bags....I used one in Thailand last year. Very light, fabulous selection of styles and colours and very light
www.amazon.co.uk/Kipling-Womens-Gabbie-Hobos-Shoulder/dp/B017W6124C/ref=pd_sim_309_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51JCsxok7jL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=C49D6JX4TZCF6AYDF77G

notonyurjellybellynelly Sat 23-Apr-16 07:52:28

Good Morning, Im really sorry. I posted a reply a few days ago and its vanished into thin air even though it appeared to have posted.

Thank you so much for helping me. I went with Pacsafe in the end. I got the little daypack that can be worn as a backpack, but its really for use on your chest. I liked it because although its big enough for the two of us its really quite compact so on a day when we each have to have cardi or wrap it will be do-able for me. My friend will also be able to manage it if she feels up to carrying things for a wee while and I really think she'll want to try even for 10 minutes. It also has a stretchy pocket on each side so we can each have a pocket for our water.

But I also got a little handbag/cross over bag for the same company so that on a day when we're just going for a wander I can keep our money etc safe.

I really hadn't thought about security to be frank and I realise now how naive Ive been when on my travels. And as we're doing Airbnb we really should keep our passports etc with us as I doubt the apartments will have a safe. So theses bags are ideal.

And funny enough when I was out the other night I saw a Kipling bag and thought -oh thats looks just the ticket as well.

Im really excited now. For a couple of years after my marriage ended I went away on my own and I love doing it. But Ive got a bit more of a spring in my step when I think about this trip because to be going away with my pal after a friendship of 30 years is something else entirely. We usually just see each other once a year due to now living an 8 hour flight away from each other and to be honest Im feeling bit giddy with the excitement of it all. Ive planned a fabulous 3 weeks and Ive managed to bring it in under her budget yet Ive not scrimpt on anything. And one of the ways Ive managed is by swatting up on the vatican museum for example, Ive been there a couple of times, and Im going to be our tour guide. Ive also done it for Pompeii and Herculaneum. By doing that Ive managed to get us private tours to other places where I'd be out of my depth. And this is all one of the side effects of my marriage breaking down - if anyone had told me I'd be confident enough to sort this out and take a friend on holiday knowing I was responsible for her having a good holiday or not I'd have said they were bonkers.

Thank you smile

FlindersKeepers Sun 24-Apr-16 00:38:59

Have a brilliant trip, you've earned it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now