Talk

Advanced search

Bra intervention - a bit shocked

(39 Posts)
firesidechat Wed 20-Apr-16 10:16:32

Having bookmarked the bra intervention page for about 2 years I've finally got round to actually measuring, mainly because my bras have been agony recently.

I've put on weight over the years and am a size 16/18 and boobs aren't what they were at 52 years old. I measured at 39" (pulled tightish) under the bust and 47" round the bust.

What size would you say that was? I've been wearing a 42a and have never been more than a b cup or so I thought. blush blush

KatharinaRosalie Wed 20-Apr-16 10:51:34

you want to try about 38FF or G

firesidechat Wed 20-Apr-16 11:02:22

That's what I thought. I'm slightly sceptical but willing to give it a try.

WellTidy Wed 20-Apr-16 11:16:02

I wore a 36A for ages, and was very comfortable in it. The straps didn't slip, it didn't move around etc, and I am really flat chested. I did the measuring thing, and came up as a 30D. I was incredulous and so, so sceptical. I also realized that I had what are described as 'shallow' boobs, so I bought a bra that was recommended on one of these threads. It is great. I can't believe it. I have also bought a different style in a 32C, which also fits great. No going back for me and my C or D cups!!

torthecatlady Wed 20-Apr-16 11:20:57

I've yet to do the bra intervention, but keep meaning too!

firesidechat Wed 20-Apr-16 11:30:35

I wish I had done it 18 months ago before I spent a fortune on what I thought were bras in my correct size. Obviously I haven't tried any new bras yet, but I'm absolutely certain that the usual method of measuring is wrong for me. The discomfort and constantly escaping boobs have been driving me mad.

PipersOrange Wed 20-Apr-16 11:50:19

Where is the bra intervention thread? Can someone link? grin

firesidechat Wed 20-Apr-16 11:57:57

I couldn't find an up to date one although I may have missed it.

SorrelForbes Wed 20-Apr-16 14:17:19

PipersOrange Follow the instructions on here

Cakescakescakes Wed 20-Apr-16 14:20:03

Well tidy can I ask what bra you bought which was recommended for shallow boobs? I have the same problem. Need DD cup so underwire sits flat but I don't fill the cup especially at the top. Struggling to find suitable styles. Band size 32.

Half cups with wide wires are good for shallow breasts - Freya half cups like patsy, bravissimo own brand half cups, cleo maddie abd sometimes juna, Curvy kate tease me and similar cuts, tutti rouge are all good

WellTidy Wed 20-Apr-16 14:35:37

happy to help cakes. I think my curvy kate bra is fleurty which is part of the showgirl range. I bought a 30D. I look nothing like as busty as the models on the website, and I was amazed at how well it fit.

My favourite bras at the moment are in M&S. They are part of their Autograph range and they are the ones in loads of colours priced at £22.50. I have the cream and black. I tried the darkish blue, but it didn't fit well at all. I looked at the label, and the blue one is made in a different country to the cream and black ones. I am a 32C in those.

wickedlazy Wed 20-Apr-16 14:36:53

I had this. A few years after having ds finally got measured in Ann Summers. I was a 38A, but was getting double boob (had put weight on) and thought I'd went up to a B, but I'm a C now. blush I wore the wrong size bra's for so long. A friend of mine used to argue with she was a B, but I knew she was way bigger. She was amazed when I measured her one night and proved she was a DD!

wickedlazy Wed 20-Apr-16 14:38:05

My boobs look way bigger too now I'm wearing the right size, not crushed.

leedy Wed 20-Apr-16 14:41:40

Yup, I have textbook shallow (and widely spaced) boobs, also a 32DD/E, and get on very well with Freya half cups like Patsy and Lauren, Cleo Maddie and Koko (and Neve, though I think that's been discontinued), Curvy Kate Ritzy (haven't tried the Tease Me, though may give it a shot, NOT THAT I NEED ANY MORE BRAS), and some Freya Decos (I'm ok in the Vibe/Charm/Rebel, but the "standard" Deco gapes at the top). Cleo Maddie probably my favourite in terms of fit and how it looks under clothes.

Cakescakescakes Wed 20-Apr-16 14:44:55

Fantastic thanks! We have a bravissimo opened near us recently so I shall check out some of those styles and go prepared!! Thank you so much.

firesidechat Wed 20-Apr-16 14:45:14

If this works for me then I'm passing this on to my adult daughters.

leedy Wed 20-Apr-16 15:00:59

I have just bought a Curvy Kate Tease Me on eBay for a tenner. You people are a bad influence on my wallet.

torthecatlady Fri 22-Apr-16 10:51:25

I did it..

Was wearing 40 E /EE
Expected bra size (will
Need to try a few on) 36/38 G
Not a huge difference but i knew my bras weren't right.

Looking forward to going shopping and trying on some bras when I have some spare cash.

HidingFromDD Fri 22-Apr-16 11:24:42

Did this with dd1. She was wearing 34dd and looking at 36d. I measured her as 32f/g. They look great! (And I'm the best mum ever 😊)

KatharinaRosalie Fri 22-Apr-16 12:52:53

I did it for a friend who is a size 10/12 and insisted she needs a 38 back. And my mum who was in 38FF, bra gore miles from her chest and boobs falling out. She did the usual 'nah, I'm fine as it is' until I actually bought her a couple of bras in the size I thought she would be. She also had to admit that a 34J was a much better fit.

leedy Fri 22-Apr-16 13:35:35

I am determined to do it for my sister, who is a size 8 and claims to be a 34A. I am betting money she's a 30C or 30D.

firesidechat Sun 24-Apr-16 15:22:13

I went bra shopping today and it's best described as a work in progress.

I measured between band sizes so wanted to try both. The 38f much better than I expected in the cup, but the rolls of back fat were not a pretty sight. I think I may need a 40 something, but I got all hot and bothered in the sauna conditions of the changing room and gave up. A 40e or 40f seemed too big really, although that may be down to not finding the right style. I'm at that age where boob fat starts to vanish and they don't have the same "body" any more.

The most hilarious thing was meeting the woman in charge of the M and S bra fitting rooms. She was a walking talking stereotype - looked down her nose at my variety of sizes and said "don't you know your size?" and when I muttered something about the bra guru she said "we measure under your boobs and add 4 inches". I was too flustered to argue with her. When I left she looked even further down her nose and said "they didn't fit then?" I'm torn between extreme violence or terminal embarrassment.

SquareDolphin Sun 24-Apr-16 15:30:58

I would have told her that they fit but the quality isn't up to scratch..."it's true what they say, your products stentvwhat they used to be...must be so frustrating for you" grin

Thank you for this thread, I'm off to measure myself properly now!

ihatethecold Sun 24-Apr-16 15:33:19

What a bloody old cow, I would take my custom elsewhere.
Do you have a bravissimo near you op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now