Talk

Advanced search

More M&S bra horror

(30 Posts)
Maryz Tue 19-Apr-16 20:25:11

Bloody woman reduced dd to tears the other day. dd is 19 and usually able to stand up for herself, but had problems finding a bra to go under a dress for a black tie event so I went with her.

Her current bras are 34DD (though I think she should be 32 E). She's pear shaped - 14/16 hips, small waist and 10/12 on top apart from the boobs, so she had a fitted dress to the waist.

The so-called fitter told her there was no way she would fit into a 34, and made her try on a 40B - said that she was no more than a B cup but was fat around the back shock. She flattened her boobs under her arms and then said "you are an awkward shape aren't you". I was so flabberghasted I just said "we'll come back tomorrow" and left.

I am fucking furious but she won't complain.

I went back and bought two 34DDs and a 32 E in different (and cheaper) styles and two of them fit pretty well, thankfully.

I HATE M&S

cheapskatemum Tue 19-Apr-16 20:45:42

Seriously, write and complain. There's no excuse for rudeness like that. The sales assistant doesn't know how old your DD is, so you could complain on her behalf. M&S would assume she's under 18.

ouryve Tue 19-Apr-16 20:50:49

What a nasty way to treat a young girl in a vulnerable situation. Cruel comment and not allowing her, presumably in a vulnerable, half undressed state, any diginity.

I think you need to complain about what you witnessed as a parent (aree - just say teen - it shouldn't matter whether that's 14 or 18). Even discounting the human side, that's a customer they've probably lost forever.

Maryz Tue 19-Apr-16 21:00:29

I was honestly speechless, and I'm rarely speechless. I actually wanted to hit her - in fact this happened last Friday and I've refrained from posting about it because I nearly started an aibu and that wouldn't have ended well grin

I should complain, shouldn't I? dd would die of embarrassment though - she's aware she's put on weight, she doesn't need it rubbed in.

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Tue 19-Apr-16 21:12:53

Yes, complain. When you're young this kind of thing stays with you for so long. Your poor DD. flowers

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 19-Apr-16 21:17:37

I would complain, you witnessed it.

It's a snidey, rude and unprofessional attitude to have towards anyone. The woman clearly isn't fit for a customer facing role let alone one where women are half undressed and looking for informed assistance.

As an aside I always tell women never to darken the doors of M&S for bra fitting, IME and by reputation they are worse than useless.

flowers for your DD Maryz.

Maryz Tue 19-Apr-16 21:19:41

We are short on alternatives here.

The only other options are Debenhams (with changing rooms that are incredibly non-private and House of Fraser the other side of the city which is ££££££ [sigh]

She's been wearing badly fitting Primark which are even worse than m&s.

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Tue 19-Apr-16 21:28:08

No independent sellers at all?

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Tue 19-Apr-16 21:32:23

And an alternative of undertaking your own MN bra intervention and then sending for 15 or 20 from an online shop and having a mammoth try-on in order to keep 2 or 3?

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Tue 19-Apr-16 21:33:01

And wow that sentence could have done with some punctuation. Sorry.

Maryz Tue 19-Apr-16 21:35:32

There's one in town you have to make an appointment for - dd looked at me in horror when I suggested it. There are one or two massive department stores that I don't trust to measure properly (last time I went I came out with a 42D; now I'm a 36G+)

I've just found a place called Peaches and Cream in Dublin - I might try and get her in there next time we are up in the big smoke.

HumphreyCobblers Tue 19-Apr-16 21:38:31

40B? Ffs. Your poor DD, how dare they be so rude to her?

The utter refusal of M&S to teach their fitters how to measure a back is unbelievable. No wonder they are struggling.

Maryz Tue 19-Apr-16 21:39:29

I considered that MsBlanding - that's where I came up with the 32F suggestion, but dd doesn't believe me - and anyway, returns are difficult here because there isn't generally free postage (apart from M&S [sigh]).

I'll have to force her over to Debenhams to try on a few early one morning when she gets her holidays, and then I could batch buy from there and return to the store I think.

Maryz Tue 19-Apr-16 21:42:02

I know Humphrey, she measures 32 under her boobs, 34 if I measure very loosely It was just crazy. She looked like she was being bound when she put it on - boobs flattened around under her arms angry

dementedpixie Tue 19-Apr-16 21:48:55

You don't have to get measured to try on bras. Just grab the size you think it should be in different styles and go to the fitting room and see how they fit

IGIG Tue 19-Apr-16 21:52:58

Do you have a bravassimo near you? Or John Lewis? You poor DD X

Rinceoir Tue 19-Apr-16 22:00:30

Maryz if you are anywhere near Galway Brown Thomas measure really well, and stock lots of reasonably priced brands. Lots of smaller lingerie shops around the country do as well- it was a tiny little place in Kilkenny who told me in no uncertain terms that I should be wearing a 30F not a 36D, and got me a perfectly fitting bra for under my wedding dress.

CleopatraCominAtcha Tue 19-Apr-16 22:18:14

A friend overheard an M&S bra fitter making unpleasant comments about the poor quality boobs of the woman she'd just fitted. This was a few years ago in Yorkshire and she didn't report. I think about it every time I go in (not to have a bra fitted). Why are people such bastards?

Smurfingreat Tue 19-Apr-16 22:28:01

That is totally horrific, but not that surprising.

I used to work in an independent lingerie shop and dealt with a fair few teens who had left M&S in tears after similar treatment. They were all totally normal teenage girls, the problem was badly trained fitters. Mums brought them to see us and it took a lot of reassurance and care to calm them down, make them feel comfortable again and give them the confidence to allow us to find a bra for them.

This totally disgusts me. Complain like hell, it is totally unacceptable.

Maryz Tue 19-Apr-16 22:53:47

Thanks, Rinceoir, I might try BT - in fact I'm going to have to do a bit of research and see if I can find a good person to measure me, and then drag dd in to see them; I can't take the risk of the same thing happening, so I'll try out BT and Arnotts and HofF and see what happens.

The Kilkenny shop must be Belle Femme - my googling keeps bringing them up, but I don't think I can really justify a trip to Kilkenny [sigh]

No Bravissimo or John Lewis here unfortunately.

Rinceoir Wed 20-Apr-16 08:34:08

Yes Belle Femme it was. They were fabulous. I had a wedding dress fitting a few days beforehand and the dressmaker had told me in no uncertain terms that the bra I had got and spent a lot of money on didn't fit! I'm not sure how good the fitting is in arnotts as last time I was there I measured myself first and tried but they had a good selection of sizes so I imagine they are good- I managed to get a 32G underwired nursing bra there.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 20-Apr-16 08:41:25

poor quality boobs ...oh emmmmm geeeeeee...that is so awful1

I think even if you get a size you have to try them on....some bras just do not suit...I cannot seem to get a t shirt bra that fits no matter what size I try. I think it' the cup shape.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 20-Apr-16 08:42:33

What horrible experience! Yes you should complain, you were there after all. So not only will they stuff people in wildly wrong sizes, they also traumatise teenage girls and make them think there's somethign wrong with their boobs. angry

hollinhurst84 Wed 20-Apr-16 08:43:33

Brastop online are good for cheaper stuff. Returns are free and they will hold an exchange for you so it doesn't go out of stock
What type of bra does she need?

Ilovetorrentialrain Wed 20-Apr-16 08:43:49

That's awful. Not just the poor fitting skills but more so the rudeness! Definitely complain, as others have said to speak to some one like that, when they're in a half dressed state and looking for advice is absolutely shocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now