Talk

Advanced search

Ugly and balding wwyd?

(17 Posts)
Sleepybunny Tue 19-Apr-16 14:28:09

<crawls in from under rock>

First post in this topic <waves>

I'm suffering from some beautiful postnatal hair loss. It's medium/long in length and already reduced to about half its previous thickness during pregnancy. It's also really thin at the temples.
I'm hoping its temporary and will ease up soon, otherwise it will be a paper bag over the head.

So I was thinking, just bite the bullet and crop the whole lot off and go for a pixie cut.

Madness or genius? What would you do?

Also any tips on prevent any more loss or boosting growth?

*I'm not actually the girl in the picture but look very similar.

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Apr-16 14:31:13

Should add, this is the sort of hairstyle I'd like to achieve.

<also would like this make up, lovely skin and general fresh face glow, but that's several more threads worth>

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 14:33:19

Watching with interest. Mine just keeps falling out and I'm not even post-natal. I had a trim recently (similar length to yours) and some layers put through it so I could easily ooomph it up with some dry shampoo but I have been toying with a pixie cut for a while. My concern is that it will be easier to see the scalp through it if it is shorter, but where I have new growth all the time I have short hairs sticking up all over the place and it looks awful!

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 14:34:46

That's lovely. My inspiration is similar...

prettywhiteguitar Tue 19-Apr-16 14:43:13

I would sit it out, mine was similar loss and similar at the temples, also looked ridiculous when growing out as poked up through my parting ! But 6 mth later and a fairly blunt cut just above boob length and it looked good again.

I had a pixie but it was more work and I felt I had to wear more make up too ! Unless you have tiny features I really do think you're better off with long hair.

But it's hard to judge without a photo !

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 19-Apr-16 14:50:36

Well I feel a bit sorry for the poor girl you have labelled as 'ugly and balding' in your OP then!

The pixie cut is cute but depends how much maintainance time you have, can be difficult to keep cuts like this looking like they should.

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Apr-16 15:17:03

Brie!! Oops! Apologies to random balding girl, perils of putting your image on the web and all that.

Naboutique you make a very good point about the sticky up bits. I like that picture too. Sorry to hear you're in the balding club too.

I'm concerned about the amount of work to maintain, but my lanky, drab hair already takes too long to breathe life into and I find myself washing and blow drying everyday. That's also not going to help with the balding.
I struggle to tie it up as it just reveals the thinning bits in all their glory.

I wouldn't mind upping the make up to feel a bit better!

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Apr-16 15:23:49

Nabootique have you tried any supplements? I'm tempted to try something like Regaine for women, but as prettywhiteguitar has said, it could just come back anyway.

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 15:42:56

I haven't tried any supplements. I feel like I wouldn't know where to start there are so many out there. Mine started to fall out about 5 years ago during a very stressful time and I thought it was just down to the stress. It did ease off for a while but it started doing it again and has been consistently falling out for a couple of years now sad

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 19-Apr-16 15:56:32

God I'm worried now, do you really think that girl looks balding?! My hair looks like that when tied back like that shock blush

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Apr-16 16:04:24

I actually think the girl on the picture looks fine!
I think I'm just used to more hair in those areas and to suddenly have it all fall out has dented my confidence a fair bit.

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Apr-16 16:04:47

Apologies if I have alarmed or offended!!

Mishaps Tue 19-Apr-16 16:08:58

Stop dragging it back like that - you will get what is known as "traction alopecia" - that is baldness caused by the dragging. Let it all hang out!

mrsvilliers Tue 19-Apr-16 16:21:39

I would go for the chop. I had bad postnatal lost with DD, I have really thick hair so it didn't really look bad until it ALL grew back at the same time. I know have hair which is madly thicker for about 3 inches at the top of my hair and also a completely madly kinking fringe. So if you'd be happy with short hair I'd go for it.

JT05 Tue 19-Apr-16 19:01:56

My hair was thinning, post menopausal. I now wash it in organic shampoo and conditioner, and take Biotin ( a natural chemical found in our bodies, from Holland and Barrat). This has really made a difference to my hair loss.

MiniCooperLover Tue 19-Apr-16 19:45:02

I went for the chop for the same reason but have just spent 3 years growing it back. Get some multivitamins, try to have a healthy diet and if you do tie it up don't tie it tightly, it will come back a lot quicker than growing out a pixie.

Sleepybunny Wed 20-Apr-16 07:50:24

Thanks for the tips. I do have to stop scrapping it back. The baby lives in a sling and has a habit of pulling at it when it's not tied back.

Booked a consultation with my hairdresser today to get her opinion. I'm wondering if my long hair days are behind me and short/sensible is the way to go.

I'll look into getting supplements. My diet is fairly mixed. Meals are healthy, but tend to eat a lot of sugar. Still breast feeding so snacking more than usual and craving sweet/higher calorie things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now