Talk

Advanced search

I'm having botox tomorrow - what do I need to know?

(25 Posts)
StrawberrytallCake Mon 18-Apr-16 18:24:52

On my lines (11's?) at the top of my nose and I want very very light botox on my forehead which is ever so slightly crinkled.

Is botox the right option for this? Any tips for in the chair as I hate injections? How will I feel afterwards? Anything important I need to know?

achillesratty Mon 18-Apr-16 20:26:59

I have it done regularly. They use a tiny needle and very small amounts so on the whole the injections are quick and virtually painless. A good practioner (I always use a Dr, never a beauty therapist, dentist etc) will err on the side of caution and you may have to go back 14 days later for a "top up". I don't look frozen and I have three areas done, my forehead, my 11's and my crows feet. Anything else you want to know, just ask !

browtox Mon 18-Apr-16 20:28:03

always do the top up. ALWAYS

browtox Mon 18-Apr-16 20:28:22

and don't go light fgs!

StrawberrytallCake Mon 18-Apr-16 20:43:34

hmm don't go light?? Why?

Thanks achilles I have both the dr and dentist box ticked! How do you feel afterwards? Can you feel your forehead going numb? Does it feel numb at any point? Sorry for stupid questions.

Browtox Mon 18-Apr-16 20:44:59

Sometimes you get a headache - I don't get that any more. It stings under my eyes. Its over in a flash.
For me it doesn't work until day ten - don't expect rapid results

StrawberrytallCake Mon 18-Apr-16 20:49:42

That's ok - I want it to work really for in two weeks time so that's fine.

How long did it take to wear off? Has it become addictive?

Browtox Mon 18-Apr-16 21:13:42

About 4 months and yes - but tbh shows you what an utter waste of time creams are

FeralBeryl Mon 18-Apr-16 21:18:58

You don't always need a top up, you do, however, definitely need a review appointment as you haven't had it before.
The needles literally feel no more painful than squeezing a blackhead and it's over in seconds.
You will have 5 injections for that area (glabellar region)
Whoever is injecting you-make sure they run through a full consent form with you, including allergies, any blood thinners.
Afterwards, you need to pull funny faces for an hour, you can't bend forward excessively or lie down flat for four hours. No gym, no sunbeds, saunas for a few days.
Any creams and lotions, gently smooth up and away from the eye area, and don't vigorously rub your face for 48 hours.
You'll love it grin

FeralBeryl Mon 18-Apr-16 21:21:15

Just saw that you're also having your forehead done sorry, looking on another 6 ish jabs too.
Oh and obviously, whoever you go to, make sure they are experienced, ideally medically qualified, member of a professional body, and insured.

StrawberrytallCake Mon 18-Apr-16 21:28:47

Gahh how long shall I avoid the gym for?

I had a consultation with this dr a year or so ago and decided if I ever wanted to go through with it I'd go back to her.

FeralBeryl Mon 18-Apr-16 21:37:24

At least 24hours, practitioners differ though, some may say 48!

Browtox Mon 18-Apr-16 21:50:18

i never avoid the gym or all that stuff. I have been going for years

FeralBeryl Mon 18-Apr-16 21:56:18

-<smacks Browtox's wrist> grin

It really is advisable, the protein needs to bind first before you shake it around too much.
I find you get slightly longer from it too (although I know it can be a ballache)

Browtox Mon 18-Apr-16 21:57:25

but you can lie down in bed? that makes no sense. Why goes gravity affect the proteins? think is a myth

FeralBeryl Mon 18-Apr-16 22:02:20

Not for 4 hours though! You can prop up with a couple of pillows but just not flat flat.
Some variants of toxin can travel further than others and are less predictable, it's just precaution to keep it from going where we don't want it to.

achillesratty Mon 18-Apr-16 22:47:08

They also recommend you avoid alcohol for 24/48 hours, which isn't an issue for me. When I have my forehead and brow done they leave some movement above my eyebrows (I didn't want the totally smooth, frozen look, though some people like that). I have never had a headache but did have a couple of days of my brow feeling heavy. I would not be without it, especially on my crows feet.

Mitfordhons Tue 19-Apr-16 07:50:01

Avoiding alcohol is I believe because you're more likely to bruise if you have a drink.

I have it on my 11's, they were quite deep when I started a year ago and are filling in nicely now. Botox will have nay freeze the movement so if they're deep it won't fill them but it does look way better when you've had it done. It takes about four days to work for me and lasts about 12 - 16 weeks depending on if I've been topped up.

StrawberrytallCake Tue 19-Apr-16 08:48:48

I definitely don't want that shiny plastic look - any tips on how to avoid. I just want to look like I've had a good sleep for once in the 7 years since having children.

StrawberrytallCake Tue 19-Apr-16 08:49:50

Mitford how long does it last if you've had the top up? Will she think I'm weird if I take my headphones in to distract me from the needling?

FeralBeryl Tue 19-Apr-16 09:21:05

You don't need to be shiny frozen, if she's experienced (which she sounds like she is) she'll just 'freshen' you up.
The review appointment will allow her to see if you need a tweak or a tiny bit more placed. If the full dose is correctly administered, a top up won't add to the longevity of it. Once it's paralysed fully, it's paralysed. You can't paralyse it further if you get me?
Headphones would be a problem-she needs you to know exactly when she's injecting so you don't flinch and move. Really, it's honestly like a blackhead, or plucking a tough eyebrow hair. You'll be grand. flowers

janinlondon Tue 19-Apr-16 11:24:43

Be aware that on some people it just doesnt work. At all....

StrawberrytallCake Wed 20-Apr-16 11:50:51

Did it! hurt more than a blackhead extraction the dr kept me there as I came over all faint afterwards but a couple of jelly tots later and I was back on my feet. There were more injections than I was expecting but easy as the only lasted a second or so each.

Waiting to see if I have results now! Thank you for advice and answers, my eyes were stinging last night when lying down and I'm sad not to go in the wonderful sunshine today but it can wait...

Lndnmummy Wed 20-Apr-16 12:32:30

Oh do come back and let us know strawberry. Any London recommendations on here?

StrawberrytallCake Wed 20-Apr-16 19:17:14

Will do grin I keep expecting to look in the mirror and find myself 5 years younger. I'm sure I can see a slight difference already.

No unfortunately I couldn't help with London as I'm Midlands based.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now