I Shall Go To The Ball!

(16 Posts)
SpearmintLino Sun 17-Apr-16 21:03:18

I've been to invited to a ball in a couple of months time, and am really excited as I've never had an excuse to wear a posh frock before.

I've googled a few ideas, but I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I'm quite busty/top heavy, which is an issue, and 46 years old, so worried about looking a bit mutton. Also not very confident about my tummy area.

I love bright blues and emerald green, and am a size 14 top and 12 bottom, just to be awkward smile

MrsLettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 21:05:04

Ooh, exciting! What sort of budget? Is there a dress code?

SpearmintLino Sun 17-Apr-16 21:07:10

Thanks for your reply. It's black tie. Budget - I'd be prepared to go to £200 for something special, which is a lot for me.

MrsLettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 21:07:25

this is great

MrsLettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 21:08:56

x post.
Would you prefer long or cocktail length? Either is fine for black tie.

SpearmintLino Sun 17-Apr-16 21:13:30

Oooooh I love that, you're good at this! Yes, I'd rather full length and that colour is gorgeous grin

MrsLettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 21:19:03

I love an excuse to wear long!
top of the budget but stunning
navy but a lovely cut

SpearmintLino Sun 17-Apr-16 21:25:58

Again, lovely. Loving the drapey look. Might be hard to choose between the 2 - I clearly need to get invited to balls more often grin

MrsLettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 21:45:50

grin you should!

ASOS have some lovely low sandals. It's not possible to link them I don't think, they're called Honeybee Heeled Sandals ( trying anyway ). The Silver or black would be lovey with either of the HH dresses.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 17-Apr-16 21:53:54

Ooh that navy Biba dress is gorgeous.

ConkerTriumphant Sun 17-Apr-16 22:13:03

MrsLettuce, if I ever have to buy an outfit for any occasion ever, I am coming straight to you!

I love the clothes you choose so bloody quickly. Do you do this for a living?

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sun 17-Apr-16 22:18:14

I have never been to a ball - what sort of dancing do you do at them? Waltzes and stuff? Or are you a fellow Scot, in which case all hail the ceilidh dancing? Anyway, those Honeybee shoes are lovely but look like they'd fly off your feet if you tried ceilidh dancing or even waltzing.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sun 17-Apr-16 22:25:11

Wow MrsLettuce that navy dress is absolutely stunning! Brilliant suggestion (nothing to add, sorry SpearmintLino smile).

SpearmintLino Sun 17-Apr-16 22:40:46

Thank you all for your responses, particularly Mrs Lettuce for your incredible suggestions.
In England sadly, Cheddar - there's a pop band apparently, so unlikely I'll be waltzing or similar wink

SpearmintLino Sun 17-Apr-16 23:31:30

Update: I've just ordered the navy Biba number. Yay! gringringringrin

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 18-Apr-16 03:56:28

The Biba dress is stunning. I have one the same shape with short sleeves and an embellished / beaded panel on the front. It's silver grey and the embellishing is slightly art deco style. I wore it for a 1920s ball and felt amazing. Biba dresses are gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now