Talk

Advanced search

Christina Hendricks wears a wig and other Hollywood style misconceptions.

(37 Posts)
MadSprocker Sun 17-Apr-16 08:43:40

I, like many other women, look to celebrities for style inspiration. If I like someone's haircut, I take a picture to my hairdresser, and discuss the possibility of whether I would be able to carry off something similar.
While reading a sleb twaddle website so sue me I came across the above revelation about Christina Hendricks (Joan in Mad Men). She has very thin hair, so wears wigs and hair pieces to supplement her hair, nearly all the time. This isn't a get at various celebs thread. If it is what she needs to boost her confidence, that is fair enough. What I want this thread to be about is how what we perceive celebrities to look, is not necessarily what they were born with, which makes it hard for the average woman to aspire to follow those looks.
I also discovered so many female celebrities have had very subtle nose jobs, some having many minor procedures, so the change isn't alarming at once. These include Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, Blake Lively, Jennifer Anniston, Mila Kunis, Kate Beckinsale, Gwen Stefani and more.
I am just interested in your thoughts. Like I said, this is not a sagging off thread.

Patterkiller Sun 17-Apr-16 08:50:51

Their teeth, every single celeb must have looked very different before braces, whitening and caps.

MadSprocker Sun 17-Apr-16 08:59:32

Forgot about the teeth!

QueenLaBeefah Sun 17-Apr-16 09:09:37

Don't forget the obligatory boob jobs

Pretty much all female movie stars have had nose jobs.

MadSprocker Sun 17-Apr-16 09:13:09

And fillers and Botox at such a young age, that change the shape of their eyes, and eyebrows. I particularly mentioned Christina, because she was a bit of a style icon for me, but I would never be able to achieve some of her hairstyles, because they weren't real, even if I took picture to the hairdresser for an event, it wouldn't be able to happen.

FrustratedFrugal Sun 17-Apr-16 09:14:17

Lots of bloggers and Instagram stars facetune their pictures - no wonder their skin looks flawless.

I also quite like this video: 'You look disgusting'.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Sun 17-Apr-16 09:26:12

what we perceive celebrities to look, is not necessarily what they were born with, which makes it hard for the average woman to aspire to follow those looks.

But don't we all know this to a certain extent? these people have stylists, hairdressers, beauticians, personal trainers, chefs, plastic surgeons, Photoshop .......

They may deny it and make out its all natural but Jesus, really! Do you think we're stupid frozen filler filled face lady? there is probably a good reason why I havnt bought any lady mags since was about 14

MadSprocker Sun 17-Apr-16 09:37:26

It's the subtle changes I'm talking about. Scarlett Johansson and Angelina Jolie are considered by the majority to be two of the most beautiful women in the western world, but even they have had subtle tweaks, and they are two people who have grown up in the spotlight, so there are photos going back to their early teens in the public sphere. I also think about the children these celebs have, and whether they will inherit the feature their parents have changed, and how they will be perceived as they grow up.

Trills Sun 17-Apr-16 09:41:47

Are you talking about the beehives?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't padding or extra hair in those, TBH.

overthehillandroundthemountain Sun 17-Apr-16 09:48:12

Good point. I think about this a lot because my DD is at that stage where she looks up photos of slebs and make-up tutorials, etc. I find myself saying to her that most celebrities are projecting an image and that that image is often fake. It's sad, but true. Don't even bother aspiring, lookswise, and certainly don't enter a profession based on looks unless you are going to commit to putting time and effort into your appearance.

There are two sides to this, aren't there, first - are we being manipulated by celebrities who 'change' their appearance and who make us believe it is possible to look like them? (Yes) and
What must it be like, to be a celebrity of that type? I know a pop star. Not well, just to chat to and see around. He is pretty famous. I was struck the other day by how dark his hair is. Unnaturally so for his age and the rest of his appearance. Then it occurred to me that the public wants a certain image of him. They don't want the story that he is now aging and wrinkled and grey. They want his songs of two decades ago. So he prob feels pressure to conform to that. Knowing what little I do of him, he finds it very stressful as I think there is a lot of pressure on him from his agents etc.

I'm not defending it. I feel sad that our children are not taught it. Don't bother trying to look like, say, Victoria Beckham, because it is unachievable.

OTOH my DD says things like "curves are better, most younger models appreciate them". Maybe the story is changing a bit since we were kids. And those Snapchat app things (sorry, I am living under a stone!) that change your face and put on a mask thingy, I do think that they teach our youngsters not to believe what they see in the mags, and that image is superficial.

Agree about the subtle changes. I'm often shocked by those photos that show stars over the years. Most of them look gorgeous at the start of their careers, when they are at their most natural!

CallaLilli Sun 17-Apr-16 09:49:39

I think most in the public eye have had some help. I even think the Duchess of Cambridge has been botoxing for a few years now. She stops when she's pregnant and I do think it's noticeable. But certainly in India this past week she's looked younger and more fresh-faced than we've seen her look for a while. Of course it could be down to a week away from the kids too but let's not kid herself that she wakes up with them in the middle of the night! I'm not casting judgement or anything, but it's certainly an example of Botox done well.

SpongeCakeBigPants Sun 17-Apr-16 09:50:29

I loved Elle Macphersons hair. Thick, long and beachy without ever looking straggly. Then I discovered it's all extensions.

SamanthaBrique Sun 17-Apr-16 09:52:06

Lots of bloggers and Instagram stars facetunee** their pictures - no wonder their skin looks flawless.*

Not just that, I'm a member of skincare and beauty Facebook group and half the selfies posted on there with #nofilter are very definitely filtered! Cue lots of other members saying how flawless their skin is, but I work in digital so can tell when photos have been tweaked.

Trills Sun 17-Apr-16 09:54:34

If you have certain phones (Samsung Galaxy S6 being a prime culprit), the front-facing camera automatically adds a "beauty filter" - if the people on your Facebook group are not very technical (and have poor eyesight) then they probably genuinely believe that they have not applied a filter.

Floisme Sun 17-Apr-16 16:42:11

Interesting thread. I sometimes watch reruns of Top of the Pops and I'm always struck by how the female 'stars' then looked pretty much like we did: same hair, same teeth etc. It makes me glad I was young then and not now.

I have a teenage niece who understands apps and filters far better than I do but she still compares herself to celebs and thinks she's unattractive. I know teenage girls are notoriously insecure but it does concern me

mudandmayhem01 Sun 17-Apr-16 16:46:51

Watching bend it like Beckham. Kiera Knightley just looks so pretty compared to how she looks in over airbrushed adverts she has been in recently. The perfected version isn't always better.

JuanPotatoTwo Sun 17-Apr-16 17:16:00

That You Look Disgusting video that Frugal linked to had me in tears sad

DerelictMyBalls Sun 17-Apr-16 17:17:46

Scarlett Johansson's nose job is amazing, really first-class work by that surgeon.

mudandmayhem01 Sun 17-Apr-16 17:35:20

According to google kiera had a nose job too. Her original nose actually suits her face better if the pics are real. If a beautiful talented woman like her feels the need to go under the knife god help the rest of us!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 17-Apr-16 17:37:26

Get your kids to watch Popstars the Rivals so that they can see Girls Aloud before Stylists, Make Up Artists, £££ Dental work etc. It's on youtube. It's actually quite nice to see as the people on TV look very very normal. Still gorgeous, but normal.

Tate15 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:38:27

Cate Blanchett looks like a waxwork dummy. Her subtle nose job was fine but now she has been so over botoxed and had every wrinkle filled or removed she looks like a Stepfird wife.

Sandra Bullock must struggle to breathe as her nostrils have been pinched together so tightly!

Both naturally attractive women who have gone to far in having every wrinkle erased that they now look like aliens! Nicole Kidman is another one. Courtney Cox as well.

This obsession to look like smooth skinned dolls doesn't do them any favours in my opinion. They look bland and souless.

Tate15 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:38:50

Stepford

nipersvest Mon 18-Apr-16 10:27:23

courtney cox makes me feel sad when i see her now in the press, she was stunning, why did she do that to her face?.

MadSprocker Mon 18-Apr-16 11:10:34

Daryl Hannah and Meg Ryan too.

JohnCheese Mon 18-Apr-16 11:28:28

Poor Meg Ryan. So badly and sadly changed.

Also Courtney Cox. Would have aged naturally ( or with little tweaks) so beautifully. Such a shame. Was a truly good looking woman.

As for Nicole Kidman.....

But Michelle Pfeiffer has done well, hasn't she?

And more in the vein of the thread, Cameron Diaz has had a terrible struggle with acne.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now