Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about silk sleeping bonnets

(9 Posts)
WilentSitness Fri 15-Apr-16 21:10:31

I have wavy/curly hair that now looks pretty good the day I've washed/left to dry. 2nd day I spray with water and a tiny bit of gel, but it doesn't look great. 3rd day looks crap so I tend to wash again. I recall some talk of silk bonnets being good for this. Does anyone have any experience?

GreenShadow Sun 17-Apr-16 17:03:55

Hi Wilent. I also have curly hair (follow Curly Girl method) and also wish to protect my curls until the next wash.
I've considered a sleeping bonnet, but think I would just look too silly, but so far I've resisted.
What I do instead is 'pineapple' and then sometimes, if I can be bothered, is wear a (cheaper version of a) Buff at night.
The other alternative is a silk/satin pillow case but they aren't cheap.

ChablisTyrant Sun 17-Apr-16 17:05:56

I have curly hair and tried a silk bonnet. It really didn't work for me at all. Looked even worse than normal. But others swear by them.

JennyOnAPlate Sun 17-Apr-16 17:52:47

I've never tried a bonnet but I sleep with my hair covered by a buff (bought cheaply from Amazon) I can get away with washing every 4th day. My hair is very thick and very curly though.

Silk/satin pillow cases are meant to be good if you don't fancy the idea of sleeping with something on your head.

ShesAGreatGas Sun 17-Apr-16 18:16:41

I tie up my DD's hair in a silk scarf at night (mixed race, curly hair). Keeps the frizz at bayif its been braided. Not sure how much difference it would make to loose curls, though?

WilentSitness Sun 17-Apr-16 20:19:55

Thank you all. My concern with a silk pillowcase would be that it wouldn't match <shallow>.

What is a buff?

GreenShadow Sun 17-Apr-16 22:33:05

A Buff is the brand name for the fabric tube which you can wear in various ways - a scarf, headband, 'hat'. Just google it.
There are cheaper versions - Millets certainly do them and I expect you can get them online.
The idea is you start with it round your neck, then pull it up taking your hair up to the top of your head. This means the top layers are protected and don't rub on the pillow when you sleep.

AdelesBeard Sun 17-Apr-16 22:44:09

I have wavy/curly hair. It used to be that it only looked good on the day I washed it but have been following curly girl method and now it looks better on day 2 than it does on day one! (I always wash on day 3 cos it gets greasy). I use Aussie shampoo, followed by Diva curl no-poo conditioner and Diva Curl no-poo light defining gel. Haven't combed/brushed my hair in three years - just rake through with fingers and let it dry by itself. And I sleep on a silk pillow. You can get lots of different colours but because I travel a lot for work I have a very 'loud' colour because I kept leaving the white one in hotel rooms - which cost me a fortune in replacements. It doesn't match my normal pillows but I just stuff it under them during the day then stick it on top at night. Have looked at sleep bonnets but can't quite bring myself to go to bed looking like my granny. Willing to be persuaded though if they work!

IJustLostTheGame Mon 18-Apr-16 08:01:38

I want a sleeping bonnet.
I have a pattern for a beautiful victorian nightie with pintucks and lace edging. There's a cap pattern to match. I wonder if I could make it out of silk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now