Talk

Advanced search

Choice of ugly sandals, or just give up?

(28 Posts)
AgeingArtemis Thu 14-Apr-16 10:46:40

I should preface this first by saying that I am extremely unstylish and a bit butch, my standard summer clothes would be cargo shorts and a T-shirt. I also have extremely ugly and problem feet, so from experience the more stylish sandals look pretty awful and out of place on my feet. So in short, I am looking for the type on sandals your dad might wear.

In summer I usually wear flip flips (but get terrible blisters from the toe post, and there's not enough foot support) or trainers (but my feet get sweaty).

Given a choice between ugly walking sandals eg www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-amazon-ladies-sandals-188030?colcode=18803003

or birkenstocks (not the cool ones....the geography teacher ones...)
www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIge6f643MAhXKfhoKHVdcDewQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fexplore%2Fbirkenstock-sandals%2F&psig=AFQjCNFGvSC9nz6cDtoufSS9i2Urib3mCA&ust=1460713262985801

Which do you think are least awful? grin

I already have the birkenstock (but can return them), I think they look ok with trousers but questionable with shorts. Walking sandals are usually even uglier, but perhaps more practical.

Maybe I should just give up and sweat in my converse for another year sad

WoodleyPixie Thu 14-Apr-16 10:48:14

The Birkenstock will be better than the karrimor.

AgeingArtemis Thu 14-Apr-16 10:51:42

Sorry, linked the wrong birkenstock, here you go.

www.freepeople.com/shop/milano-birkenstock/?productOptionIDs=001&cm_mmc=CJ-_-Affiliates-_-Lyst+Ltd-_-Free+People+UK+Product+Data+Feed

My main problem with the birkenstock is that it's mainly young, pretty girls wearing them "ironically" as a joke. I can't pull that off, and when I see "cool" people wearing them I can't help but feel they're making fun of people like me, who would wear them earnestly

FeckOfffCup Thu 14-Apr-16 10:58:29

I'm in my 20s, I love clothes and fashion and i love Birkenstocks! I don't think young people wear them as a joke at all. They seem to be in at the moment and they were last summer too. They're dead comfy at least smile

LovelyFriend Thu 14-Apr-16 11:08:19

there is another sandal thread atm with lots that may suit you.

Could you do the Arizon or Florida Birkenstocks (without the back strap)? perhaps in a lovely colour? they don't slip around and are very comfy. The patents ones always feel extra fancy to me & you can get many lovely colours:

patent blue

Lovely Mushroom

Neon orange

What about these TEVAS - I've not worn Teva's but many on MN swear by them:
black

more casual

I've waiting on delivery of these Flip Flops:
Lovely fit flops

I have wide big feet, ankle injury, knee injury, and like to walk. Shoes are an issue. I wear sandals all summer long though - will probably paint my toes this weekend and crack out the sandals from next week.

heres the other thread which may be of use too:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2611511-So-what-sandals-will-you-be-mostly-wearing-this-spring-summer?#prettyPhoto

Laidupwithabrokenleg Thu 14-Apr-16 11:09:54

I like the Milano or Rio Birkenstock's, and don't think they are fugly. If you're in UK have a look on this site www.sarenza.co.uk which someone gave me when I posted about sandals. There's lots of nice 'supportive' sandals on here. I liked some of the Art sandals

lucy101101 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:12:22

Birkenstocks are brilliant. I do prefer the toe post designs though like Gizeh and Isis (Gizeh with a back strap if they do something like this still) as I find they are more comfortable. My husband prefers the Arizona style though.

LovelyFriend Thu 14-Apr-16 11:12:29

oooh dark metallic red

might get those myself.

Peach1886 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:17:59

The birkis are nice (i'm just about to get some, but in a brighter colour, and no i'm not young and pretty either just thankfully old enough to have confidence in my own style!) But also have a look at Keen sandals, somewhere between very practical/comfortable and a little bit funky, the ones with covered toes look fab with shorts or trousers, especially if you are not fond of the way your feet look.

burnishedsilver Thu 14-Apr-16 11:38:55

The birkinstocks win hands down.

Tate15 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:47:11

I have tried numerous styles but can't wear Birkenstocks. They are so uncomfortable for me.

What about Dr Marten sandals? They would fit your style, are chunky and very comfortable.

Tate15 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:48:34

Example

m.coggles.com/sandals/flip-flops-cloth/w/ftwear/dr.-martens-flash-gladiator-sandals-black-wyoming/11231222.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_clothing&affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=CjwKEAjw_7y4BRDykp3Hjqyt_y0SJACome3TO1yGsnFiCEaZFBaagD8TNDhxRl3lP-OHG2XieurWhRoCovLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNiDvIv6jcwCFcV-2wodvrcBaw&variation=11231223

Tate15 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:50:14

Backless and brown

m.coggles.com/sandals/flip-flops-cloth/w/ftwear/dr.-martens-brelade-slide-sandals-charro-brando/11231275.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_clothing&affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&gclid=CjwKEAjw_7y4BRDykp3Hjqyt_y0SJACome3To6sFeB_qgEthV2pit1hOXj6bWPdkryW-5HHLUCr6XRoCEtrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJWxi676jcwCFcF72wodF70OiQ&variation=11231280

I loved all of my pairs but got rid when last ex didn't like them!

Stupid me!

citychick Thu 14-Apr-16 14:30:43

Lovelyfriend

I need those blue birkenstocks in my life!

Anyone seen the new soft foot-bed birkenstocks?
Not sure if they are available in UK, as when home over Easter I was in Jones shoe shop, asked the sales chap and he got very excited about them and was off to phone head office about them...so he said.

Anyway, they are available here in Asia, and as Birkis can be quite hard on the feet, the soft foot-bed sounds really appealing.

Anyone else heard of them?

OP - Birkinstocks win.

LovelyFriend Thu 14-Apr-16 14:37:01

citychic I believe ASOS delivers free worldwide smile

onedogatoddlerandababy Thu 14-Apr-16 14:37:06

city I have a pair of the soft foot bed arizonas, they came from Amazon 2 or 3 years ago. They are indeed soft and cushiony, can feel the difference compared to my normal birks.

Having said that, I've bought some saltwaters for this summer.

Cannot wait for it to be warm enough to stop bothering with socks and boots smile

EmpressTomatoKetchup Thu 14-Apr-16 14:41:22

citychick The EVA ones? www.birkenstock.co.uk/Product/3593/Birkenstock-Arizona-EVA-Black-Narrow-129423/

I think they had sone in John Lewis last year, haven't seen them in real life might be tempted though because I secretly love crocs and imagine these probably feel like crocs

Tigerblue Thu 14-Apr-16 14:41:24

I think the Birkenstocks look really nice and would actually look better on someone's whose a bit older rather than really young girls. Also, I think they'll go nicely with cargo shorts.

re: style, cargo shorts and t-shirts sound great for the summer. Also, you might think you're butch, but I'm sure people out there who would envy you - don't knock yourself.

AgeingArtemis Thu 14-Apr-16 15:01:38

Ok it sounds like the birkenstocks win then smile

citychick Thu 14-Apr-16 15:11:21

Expresstomatoketchup
No, not those. But they are nice too. They are the leather ones. The foot-bed is the usual suede but padded. Very nice.

lovelyfriend - thanks!

jamtartandcustard Thu 14-Apr-16 15:16:50

The Birkenstock looks best.
im a flip flop lover as well though but need supportive ones, currently wearing crocs Capri v. Not the prettiest of shoe but super comfy

rightknockered Thu 14-Apr-16 16:36:13

I quite like these
www.urbanoutfitters.com/uk/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=5319450421001&category=NEW-IN-WOMENS-SHOES-EU

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 14-Apr-16 16:40:30

No one's wearing birkensticks ironically, they're all wearing them because they're comfy grin

I wear the Clark's version as they have a softer foot bed and I can walk further in them.

phoenix1973 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:50:55

I'm so sorry but looking at both of those made me want to bury my head in my knees and SOB.

They are a shoerack of fuglyness.

It's not as if I am an ardent fashionista either.

Sorry. Not helpful. I hope you find something you are happy with.

HeadDreamer Thu 14-Apr-16 16:54:08

I'm over 40 and I have that pair of birkenstocks you linked. They are very very comfy. Fashionable or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now