Talk

Advanced search

How can I soften up these shoes?

(6 Posts)
GladysKravitz Wed 13-Apr-16 12:47:03

I bought a pair of Clarks Funny Dream yesterday. Please don't be mean about them! I have MS and shoe buying has become a nightmare, I can't wear anything too flat or too high or with the wrong kind of sole, and I need a lot of room for my claw toes. They are perfect apart from they rub just under the ankle bone (where the label is, and I see in the reviews that others have had the same problem).

The assistant said I could wear them at home to see if they soften up, and I have them on with socks but they do feel uncomfortable. Also because they're nubuck I'm worried about getting them stained even though I'm in the house as I am quite clumsy with drinks etc and then I wouldn't be able to get a refund.

I would like to keep them as they're good otherwise and I got 20% off with a voucher in Good Housekeeping. Does anyone know how I can speed up the softening process?

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Apr-16 12:56:33

Things I'd use to soften then might stain them as nubuck, but to protect your feet I'd wear double layer socks which stop any rubbing

storybrooke Wed 13-Apr-16 13:09:11

I know a lot of people use hot air from a hairdryer to soften heeled shoes so would assume it'd work here. Just make sure not to use too hot air.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 13-Apr-16 13:13:43

I have a hard time with shoes because my feet are like putty, and tend to massage the rub-y bits while I sit watching TV or reading to soften them up. The hairdryer trick is more for stretching if shoes are too tight, I think.

RupertPupkin Wed 13-Apr-16 13:14:43

Soldiers used to urinate into their boots and leave them overnight, before wearing them all the next day to break them in. Maybe a last-ditch solution though.

AlistairSim Wed 13-Apr-16 13:35:58

Take them to a cobblers and ask them to whack them with a hammer, it will soften them up beautifully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now