Please help me find a replacement for my original Oakley Fives

(7 Posts)
sleeplessbunny Tue 12-Apr-16 12:57:55

I have owned and loved many pairs of Oakley fives over the years. They fitted my face perfectly and had great lenses, up until Oakley changed the design to be a more rectangular style, shortly after which they seem to have discontinued the range completely. My last pair died the death about 4 years ago and i've struggled along with other sunglasses since but never found anything that comes close to fitting as well as the original fives. I think it's because I have a relatively small face, and I like sunglasses to have the wrap-around feel i.e. no big gaps at the side for light to get in. I think I tried on every single pair in Sunglass Hut last week, felt sorry for the poor assistant. Anyone have any suggestions?

ItGoesWithoutSaying Tue 12-Apr-16 13:36:20

Is it just the lenses that need replacing and do you still have the frame?

DH had a ageing and treasured pair of Oakleys that he used for cycling but the lenses and too scratched and the rubber bits. Looking at the price of new ones he managed to find replacement rubber bits and lenses on the web for a fraction of the price - even though the model had been discontinued years ago.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 12-Apr-16 13:36:46

I had the same problem- I also liked the way the Oakleys would sit on the top of my head when it WA not so bright.
I found an almost as good pair in Cotswold (or another similar outdoor type shop), took ages and I have also tried on every pair in sunglasses hut too!!

sleeplessbunny Tue 12-Apr-16 13:40:21

Not just lenses, frames eventually snapped (yes I know it's not that easy to do but i managed it with 3 pairs, don't ask). I agree Oakley are great with spare lenses and other bits even for discontinued glasses but they draw the line at frames sadly :-(

cressetmama Tue 12-Apr-16 15:37:45

Did the million pairs you tried include Maui Jim? I like the way one of their styles fits me closely.

FauxFox Tue 12-Apr-16 15:48:02

Can you not just get some vintage Oakley Fives on eBay? You might have to pay international postage but surely it's worth it if you have been missing them for 4+ years?

eBay link

sleeplessbunny Tue 12-Apr-16 17:36:50

Not sure why I hadn't thought of eBay blush thanks for the link there seem to be fair few still knocking around.
Never heard of maui Jim but thanks will take a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now