What items of clothing to you spend £s on and what do you buy cheap?

(13 Posts)
Lexipedia Tue 12-Apr-16 09:48:13

I've been really trying to improve my wardrobe lately, sometimes on a not huge budget. What items of clothing do you think are worth spending money on? I always buy decent boots, and usually reasonably expensive coats and jackets. I bought a jacket last week which was only £15, but was just what I was looking for. I always spend money on bras too. Not a lot of choice there when you're a 30gg!

I usually buy ballet pumps for summer quite cheaply as the soles wear out so quickly. I don't see much point in spending loads if I have to replace every summer anyway. Same with white t-shirts - they lose their whiteness quite quickly so I don't see the point in spending money on them. Jeans I always get cheap too, but that's purely because I seem to be New Look shaped.

What do you think it's worth spending money on, and what items do you look for a bargain with?

Annarose2014 Tue 12-Apr-16 09:50:37

Worth it: winter boots. Actually winter anything - North Face jackets etc.

Not worth it: summer clothes as we get only a weeks summer where I live. So they're all super cheap.

FrownsAndDimples Tue 12-Apr-16 09:53:07

Tops and T shirts I will rarely spend very much on. They get changed regularly.

Coats I will- My leather jacket, Burberry trench I spent quite a bit on. Had them for years so see it as a bit of an investment piece.

My pj's are always from primark. I change these regularly too.

Knickers are supermarket ones. Bras are cleo, panache so mid range.

KondoAttitude Tue 12-Apr-16 12:33:31

I spend more, proportionally, on lingerie, coats and shoes because they are the most noticeable (a bad bra will ruin the line of an expensive top or dress, for example, and in winter people often only see your coat and shoes) and because when it comes to bras and shoes there is a big difference in comfort between cheap and expensive. The only thing I routinely spend very little on is socks, and I don't spend a great deal on nightwear either. But I do love an ebay bargain - expensive clothes bought second-hand works for me both quality and budget-wise. I will also buy expensive dresses in the sales as you get a whole outfit in one so it seems worth it.

Oh, and I spend very little on toiletries and makeup except for a decent foundation and face cream. I'm very sceptical of most expensive cosmetics.

Lottapianos Tue 12-Apr-16 12:50:35

Spend big (relatively speaking!):

Coats and jackets
Footwear
Bras
Dresses

Spend small:
Knickers
T-shirts (Primark)
Skirts
Scarves and gloves
Handbags
Jewellery
PJs
Trousers (usually M&S jeggings or New Look skinnies)

JanTheJam Tue 12-Apr-16 12:55:08

High ticket items:
Bras
Shoes
Bags
Occasion wear (anything I want to use as psychological "armour")
Coats

Sometimes spend big
Knitwear
Jeans
Trousers

Cheap
Knickers
Tshirt a
Pajamas

Potterwolfie Tue 12-Apr-16 12:57:26

I'll spend to buy a decent winter coat, I invested £230 in a North Face parka last year and it is worth every penny.

I buy well-cut mud range trousers and mid range jeans but tops I don't tend to spend a lot on as I love having a variety to choose from.

I'll never buy cheap shoes, trainers or walking boots.

NiteFlights Tue 12-Apr-16 15:54:41

Expensive:
Coats
Dresses for special occasions
Some shoes (Hobbs)

Medium:
Other shoes (eg Clarks, Birkenstocks)
Knitwear
Bags

Cheap:
White t-shirts
Pyjamas
Make-up

Everything else just depends what I like, what it's made of, and whether I can afford it. I get quite a lot second hand. Having a decent coat is very important to me, but my coats last several years and so don't work out too expensive.

Floisme Tue 12-Apr-16 18:30:14

Spendier:
Bras - everything hangs better, including cheap clothes.
Basics I wear all the time e.g L/sleeve Ts.
My specs - they're on my face every waking moment.
Coats - this autumn going to bit the bullet and buy a decent one for rainy days.
Anything I've worn before and that I know suits me e.g. pencil or tube skirts.

Cheaper:
Skincare - I think most of it's a scam.
Special occasion stuff - the lights are low and most people are pissed so what's the point?
Experiments - any new style in case it turns out to be a mistake.
Summer clothes - by the time it's warm enough, the sales are on.
Shoes - don't know why but I always end up trashing them.

YaySirNaySir Tue 12-Apr-16 19:13:32

Spendy-
Knickers- Sloggi
Jackets/coats- My biggest expense by far
Jewellery/Watch
Things I know I will wear loads.

Mid range-
Boots
Shoes
Bags
Bras- replace regularly
T-shirts/tops
Gloves- sheepskin
Knitwear
Dresses/skirts

Cheapish-
Vest tops/under tops
Jeans- mostly £20 super skinnies from New Look
Summer sandals

Lexipedia Wed 13-Apr-16 07:21:55

Forgot about glasses, mine cost a fortune but they're the first pair I've had that I feel truly comfortable with.

Knitwear I need to spend more on. I've had a couple of cashmere things that have lasted so much better than cheaper things.

I hardly spend anything on jewellery either. I'm not a massive jewellery fan so apart from engagement ring and posh watch, I don't wear much. I'd love a pair of diamond earrings though. A girl can dream! Most of my earrings were £15 or less.

leedy Wed 13-Apr-16 11:28:32

Spendy:
- glasses (like a previous poster, they're on my face all the time so I figure it's a bit like buying a nose...)
- bras (though I have discovered the joys of buying NWT discontinued proper-lingerie-brand bras on eBay, so that's moving into the "spend less, get the same quality" category)
- winter coats
- leather jacket
- leather handbags
- cashmere jumpers (last forever)
- jeans (I am one of those odd shapes where about one in every zillion pairs of jeans is flattering, and at the moment those seem to be from spendy jeans brands like Paige and J Brand)
- occasionally tights (Tabio tights appear to be actually indestructible and have amazing colours)

Middling:
- tops
- other knitwear
- lighter coats/jackets
- dresses
- most shoes (due to dodgy feet tend to live in trainers/Birkenstocks)

Not spendy:
- socks
- knickers (M&S bikinis all the way, unless I'm being very fancy and having pants to match my bra)
- summer clothes like shorts, v light dresses
- gym clothes
- experiments (can I really wear culottes?)

I also, like a pp, love a bargain, so if I can find one of my "spendy" items on eBay or heavily reduced, I'll go for it.

Hopefully Wed 13-Apr-16 12:46:17

I don't ALWAYS spend lots on these items (if I love something in a shop I am happy to get a cheapie version sometimes and just accept it won't last), but generally spend the most on:

Coats (especially stylish waterproof ones, the holy grail of coats)
Underwear
Cashmere (better to buy merino than cheap cashmere IMO)
Footwear, both summer and winter

Spend much less on:
Tops (although will spend if colour/style is perfect)
Jeans - Zara are a great shape for me, weirdly
Everyday knitwear to mix in with nice cashmere, since I can't afford to populate my wardrobe entirely with cashmere
Pyjamas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now