Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good central London dermatologist (melasma)?

(43 Posts)
WavingNotDrowning Tue 12-Apr-16 07:44:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shirkingworking Tue 12-Apr-16 07:53:14

Afraid I can't but I'm in a similar position.... Am now 41 and had it since 31 (when I was on a v strong contraceptive pill). Three babies later and it's dreadful despite wearing factor 50. I've tried 'cosmelan' and that didn't work. Considering Obagi.

Went skiing last week and despite factor 50 liberally applied and only one sunny day, I'm very patchy again. Ugh.

Apparently laser can help but I haven't tried that as it can make it worse. I've tried 'kligman' cream too - did nothing for me...

I'm now doing redermic R at night three times a week, skinceuticals Vit C, E ferulic acid in the day and factor 50 as a moisturiser under normal tinted moisturiser. And Kevin Aucon cover up - tons of pigment. So depressing.

Anyway, watching with interest.

shirkingworking Tue 12-Apr-16 08:08:35

Sorry - KevYn AucoIn cover up!

suzib Tue 12-Apr-16 19:45:31

Watching with interest too. I'm not in London, but would be interesting to hear if there is anyone that had treatment or products that have made a difference.

I find layering SPF's help prevent melasma getting worse in the sun. So I use skinceuticals ferulic, bareminerals tinted moisturiser (SPF 30), Dermalogica age smart primer, foundation with SPF, then top up during the day with brush on sun block.

rubybleu Tue 12-Apr-16 21:51:26

I've been seeing Dr Ménage du Pelloux (Harley St) for a rather vain facial skin problem and she has been very, very good.

Givemecoffeeplease Tue 12-Apr-16 21:52:38

Watching with interest

Truckingalong Wed 13-Apr-16 07:05:41

I shed a few layers with obagi. Works a treat but you look terrible for weeks, if not months, on end during the treatment.

shirkingworking Wed 13-Apr-16 08:45:30

Oh no... Not what I wanted to hear Trucking! I work in the city and would feel very very self-conscious - more so than if I was doing the stay at home mum thing. But good it worked. Hmm.... Thank you for telling us.

Londonmum1969 Wed 13-Apr-16 11:11:41

Dr Lowe at the Cranley Clinic is fantastic.He has the latest lasers,I have had it done and there was very little down time.My skin is better now than ever.

WavingNotDrowning Wed 13-Apr-16 12:52:36

Londonmum1969 Wed 13-Apr-16 13:07:11

Yes and very sensitive skin.He is really kind and I felt so self conscious.The lasers are updating all the time and he will talk you through everything.Good Luck.

suzib Wed 13-Apr-16 13:27:21

@londonmum1969 what laser did you have? I'm in Scotland, so if I could get the same here, that would be easier. I've put off lasers because I heard some can worsen melasma.

shirkingworking Wed 13-Apr-16 15:12:58

Fired off a 'contact form' asking for an appointment.... Fed up with chucking money away trying to deal with it. Hope Dr Lowe can help!

Londonmum1969 Wed 13-Apr-16 16:20:56

I had what they call their melanoma protocol which involved lightening creams and laser they work out the times between treatments . I was given a total price for all my treatments at my first appointment.Everyone will differ but he is so experienced he will put your mind at rest.

shirkingworking Wed 13-Apr-16 16:29:16

Melasma protocol?! Melanoma/malignant skin cancer would be rather serious...!

Londonmum1969 Wed 13-Apr-16 16:55:55

So sorry shirkingworking,yes it's Melasma protocol.

shirkingworking Wed 13-Apr-16 17:40:49

I'm just glad you're ok Londonmum!! Thanks for the recommendation!

shirkingworking Thu 14-Apr-16 12:11:23

OMG - £350 for a consultation before you even pay for any treatment with Dr Lowe... Ouch. He can't be that much better than any other dermatologist?! Yikes.

vitaminC Thu 14-Apr-16 12:36:31

Try getting your gp to do a hormone panel first, before spending all that! Melasma is often linked to high oestrogen or low progestérone levels.
I suffered for years with it but after a hysterectomy a few months ago it has now disappeared completely!

shirkingworking Thu 14-Apr-16 18:00:35

Gosh, I hadn't even thought of that Vit C. Hope you're recovering well. I will talk to the GP. Always managed to get pregnant very quickly - so I guess my hormones must be working vaguely properly - but I don't know if I could still get pregnant even with out of balance hormones.... I'll definitely make an appointment. Thank you. (And glad your melasma has cleared up - that's a happy side effect to nasty op...)

WavingNotDrowning Thu 14-Apr-16 19:35:08

Londonmum1969 Thu 14-Apr-16 19:52:51

Do you mean the clinic with Davinia at the cranley clinic?

WavingNotDrowning Thu 14-Apr-16 20:35:00

WavingNotDrowning Thu 14-Apr-16 20:35:01

WavingNotDrowning Thu 14-Apr-16 20:35:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now