Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I want pencil/tube skirts, at least 65 cm long sitting at natural waist, suited for hourglass figures and not just available in tiny sizes, ok for summer temps (not just polyester then)

(44 Posts)
banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 15:12:08

Go!

Hang on, more info. Must be available online from reputable sellers who have size guides one can trust. My waist is 86-87 cm, my hips 110/111 or so. Nothing too flimsy or thin single-layer jersey, it just shows off my flesh ruffles. grin I'm looking madly and find nothing. Prefer midi lengths, i.e. 65-75 cm. There's a challenge!

(incidentally I'm not very hourglassy, but judging by the way clothes are cut these days I'm like Joan from Mad Men apparently)

Oneday Mon 11-Apr-16 18:27:13

Boden do a below knee length ruched skirt, may be long enough? Especially if you get the long version. Lots of sizes.

botemp Mon 11-Apr-16 18:44:57

What's the approximate budget? I'd point you to Max Mara since they do a lot of these types of skirts in various fabrics none of which will be flimsy but they are by no means cheap. They fit great though with a good size selection.

dragonsarebest Mon 11-Apr-16 19:50:23

H&M double layer cotton jersey tube skirt, £7.99.

dragonsarebest Mon 11-Apr-16 19:51:40

This one

herecomesthsun Mon 11-Apr-16 20:18:23

Look at the Zoe skirt in boden clearance too

banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 20:38:07

Dragon, I must have a look and see if my local Hennes has that one, it does look more fitted at the waist alright! I have other Hennes skirts and they are all too loose in the waist. sad

Oneday, I have my eye on the Boden ruched skirt grin but would prefer a supersale because I don't find Boden's prices match their quality ;) But am thinking about it ! If it were a TAD longer I'd have bought it already. (love Baukjen things but am not paying 25 euro in shipping, and the ruched skirt is Baukjen-ish)

Botemp, I want to spend more on stuff I love instead if a lot of cheap things I'm iffy about. Unfortunately there never is any expensive quality stuff I love... So I'd rather buy meh at bargain prices than meh at premium prices. First world problems. Will look at Max Mara - have always thought of them as a skinny brand?

banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 20:42:53

Herecomesthesun: hm I am unkeen about the Zoe, judging by the size guide the 16 would be too big in the waist and the 14 too small on the hips. sad Jersey is easier, if I'm lucky a generous 14 will stretch without giving a stuffed sausage look.

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 11-Apr-16 20:46:01

I have the Boden ruched skirt - am 5'5"and bought the stripy one in long and it's a good length, below the knee and v Baujkenesque. Recommend it. Whistles do a good line in these but not cheap - unless in the sale or with a Grazia 25% off voucher...

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 11-Apr-16 20:46:59

I'm a 14 but bought the Boden skirt in a 16 to avoid any sausage ness. I was right to do that!

banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 20:52:26

But how is the waist? I really really want the waist to be fitted. If they didn't see the elastic in but left it in a tunnel as people did in days of yore I could tighten it myself but everything has to be so damn fancy these days what.

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 11-Apr-16 21:30:39

It's stretchy material. Waist fits fine on me (but would stretch more if I was bigger) iyswim...

LBOCS2 Mon 11-Apr-16 21:32:32

I've had a couple of fabulous pencil skirts from (of all places!) Laura Ashley. Have a look on their website?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 11-Apr-16 21:40:19

Can't help but glad I'm not the only one who still calls H&M Hennes! grin

Actually I can. Google retro or vintage skirts - they'll be the length you want, fitted, and not just stretchy polyester.

banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 21:42:25

Ooo. Will do!

Giddy, I've taken the waist in on jersey tube skirts before, I hate a baggy waist, it'd be great if they sewed them so the elastic could be shortened easily. I thought I'd be easier with jersey skirts (because stretchy) but no, I'm still getting baggy waists. They're meant to sit on the hips I think.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 11-Apr-16 21:44:15

www.collectif.co.uk/collectif-mainline-fiona-skirt-plain-p-c36458-c-navy.html

www.lindybop.co.uk/bottoms-c21/skirts-c5/fontaine-brown-dogtooth-pencil-skirt-p2307

www.weekenddoll.co.uk/Categories/Skirts~and~Bottoms/peggy-pencil-skirt-skirts-and-bottoms-50s-style-black-s-10_407683.html

banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 21:49:02

Felicia, that's the proper way to refer to it innit. ;) for those of us in the know! Do you have any brand suggestions? :D

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 11-Apr-16 21:54:34

I went through a 50s phase a few years ago but was too fat for pencil skirts - will totally go back to them in a few months once I've lost a bit more weight (still going...)

I don't really know, I've heard good things about Lindybop but haven't bought from them. Aesthetically I like the look of the stuff from Collectif the best.I've hear really good things about Viven of Holloway but they are pricey!

Diddlydokey Mon 11-Apr-16 21:57:53

Hobbs had a couple

m.jaeger.co.uk/colette-pencil-skirt/751065R.html?cgid=women-skirts&dwvar_751065R_color=75600&dwvar_751065R_size=6&start=4

banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 22:17:58

Right, am looking at the vintage brands now, thanks! I don't want too obv retro stuff, it's not me, but they do have the length and waist... Feels costumey in a bad way. ;) Diddly, love all the Jaeger things but will not pay 65 quideroonies for something that is dry clean only for I know myself. blush

banivani Mon 11-Apr-16 22:19:35

I mean if it's too obv retro it feels costumey in a bad way, sorry. Am stress typing before bed. ;)

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 11-Apr-16 22:39:00

Just imagine them paired with one of your own tops. You don't have to wear them with a halter and kink your hip out all the time grin. You also are not obliged to wear red lippy wink

banivani Tue 12-Apr-16 06:19:44

Oh good coz I'm a no lipstick person altogether ;) lol!

However I still find to find some jersey ones so I can cycle without having to pull the skirt up to an exposing height. hmm

Ememem84 Tue 12-Apr-16 06:39:10

Oasis so some. As do warehouse. And ted baker. Once you've found a brand that suits have a look on eBay.

I've just grabbed a great grey pencil skirt from ted baker with tags for a tenner on eBay.

banivani Tue 12-Apr-16 10:06:33

I see plenty around, but they're often too short, or single-layer viscose jersey (see above re: flesh ruffles), or they will not fit me/fit me badly if I'm to trust the size guide, or there is no size guide, or the shop doesn't specify length, or I buy one and discover that size guide can't be trusted (Dorothy Perkins, Boden (not pencil skirts but two dresses which are both a little bit off). sad Mistakes are expensive without free international returns... Was hoping for someone with my exact measurements saying hey! have I got the shop for you! wink then I will just shop and shop and shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now