Talk

Advanced search

How do I get the 50's burlesque look?

(22 Posts)
hangingoutattheendofmywick Mon 11-Apr-16 11:13:46

Hi everyone,
I was watching First Dates on catch up at the weekend and there was a girl on there who had the 50s (think I'm right in saying 50s) burlesque look. She said it gave her confidence and I really admired her look. I have no 'look' myself - I just wear stretchy jean leggings and jumpers every single day (mum of two very young boys).

I would love to 'rock' a look. I'd love to have a style! I really admire this look on other people so I am wondering where to start,

1. where do I shop?
2. what do I wear?
3. Any tips on make up and hair.... (red lips and eyeliner?)

I love that it looks feminine and confident - I think I haven't looked feminine since i had my children and sort of lost myself a bit in leggings and baggy tops. My figure isn't too bad - a 12 to 14 with hips a bit wide but not too bad.

so can you help inject some fashion / style into me?! Also can I have this look but still stay semi casual - as I can't wear a corset to Morrison's.
Thanks so much in advance.

Tanaqui Mon 11-Apr-16 14:40:38

have you looked at lindybop?

MamaLazarou Mon 11-Apr-16 14:45:57

There's loads of brilliant burlesque stuff on Etsy.

RudeElf Mon 11-Apr-16 14:52:26

Pinterest for inspiration.

Lindybop
Elsie's attic
British retro
Carolina dress room
Hell Bunny
Retrospec'd
Rock'n romance
Retro daisy vintage

hangingoutattheendofmywick Mon 11-Apr-16 15:28:43

wow! thanks so much - that's fab

LuciaInFurs Mon 11-Apr-16 15:34:22

I would suggest picking up Dita Von Teese's beauty book. It gives a really good insight into the history of the eras and their respective make up looks. She gives step-by-step tutorials.

Realitea Mon 11-Apr-16 16:06:11

This is my look! I love it. Eyeliner and red lipstick (or a berry red or a tomatoey red). red nails.
Lindybop is great and vivien of Holloway. For day to day stuff you can find it in most high st shops if you select the clothes carefully. A cigarette style trouser with heels and a 50's cardi (basically waist length round neck) looks great.
I also have a trusty polka dot scarf which adds some 50's snazz to a plain t shirt.
Pencil skirts are always a winner especially if worn with seamed tights or stockings.
Its so much fun grin

Realitea Mon 11-Apr-16 16:08:01

Oh, for hair.. Mines all one colour and I put it in curlers for a loose curl then roll each side back and round and clip it up. Hope that makes sense!

coveredinhopeandvaseline Mon 11-Apr-16 20:20:03

I dress in 50s/rockabilly style...best casual 50s look (for shopping and school runs etc) skinny/slim jeans with turn ups that sit just above the ankle, ballet flats and a high neck cardi (like this minus the high heels)

coveredinhopeandvaseline Mon 11-Apr-16 20:22:34

And this...

RudeElf Mon 11-Apr-16 20:25:37

Its a fantastic style. So much fun to be had.

hangingoutattheendofmywick Mon 11-Apr-16 21:41:37

thanks everyone! this is so exciting!!!
i have ordered 4 tops from lindibop and plan on spending tomorrow searching for charity shop bargains and hairbands. Also I found on Youtube a channel called vintagious that is amazing - and another woman whose name has escaped me who does 50s hairstyles. So excited about my new lease of look.

currently sat with extra blonde dye on my head

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 11-Apr-16 21:46:56

YOu need to find Lisa Freemont Street on Youtube she's fab.

Rathkelter Tue 12-Apr-16 20:49:53

I love this look too. Can I ask the Rockabilly pros on here: do you do your hair like this every day? I think my fine-textured, flyaway bob has limitations... And what handbag /everyday bag do you use?

RudeElf Tue 12-Apr-16 20:51:16

Felicia! Do you know how many hours i lost last night due to watching lisa freemont street videos? grin i had to have a nap today to catch up on sleep!

Twinklestein Tue 12-Apr-16 21:27:16

Top Vintage I think is the best of the vintage sites.

ThePortlyPinUp Tue 12-Apr-16 21:42:59

I always dress in 50's /rockabilly style, hair wise I often wear it in a messy beehive with a bandana, a high pony tail or loose with the sides clipped back and a hair flower. I also have betty bangs.

Clothes wise day to day when I'm at home/university I wear high waisted jeans with a freddies of pinewood or band t shirt. Nights out at least once a month to a rock n roll club I wear either wiggle dresses or full circle frocks but never w petticoat only a slip to protect my modesty when jiving.

Handbags I get from banned, sourpuss, lux deville or novelty shaped bags such as raffia or picnic basket bags. I'm currently debating what to spend the last of my birthday money, on, I've had it since February but nothing special enough has come up yet shock

hangingoutattheendofmywick Wed 13-Apr-16 11:11:34

I too lost hours yesterday watching Lisa freemont street.

Thanks for all this - it's all fabulous

MamaLazarou Wed 13-Apr-16 13:58:02

I am very cross with the poster who suggested Lisa Freemont Street.

I have managed to do very little work today.

RudeElf Wed 13-Apr-16 15:29:17

grin her videos are addictive!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 14-Apr-16 20:07:18

Oops - sorry! grin

hangingoutattheendofmywick Thu 14-Apr-16 21:09:12

Don't be sorry! She's amazing. Just wanted to let you all know I've ordered 4 tops from lindybop, I coloured my hair, I bought a red lippy & an eyeliner and got some skinny jeans & some vintage shirts from a charity shop - it might not sound like much but even to wear red lipstick for me is a major breakthrough. I feel wonderful and want to start doing actual hair styles. As an exhausted and frumpy mum of two I suddenly feel young again and excited about getting up in the morning and getting ready. Thanks all X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now