Talk

Advanced search

Hair product confusion when using straighteners to create waves

(10 Posts)
CrepeDeChineWag Sun 10-Apr-16 19:20:29

I have straight shoulder length hair that needs product to keep waves made using a straightner. Ordinary hairspray does the job but I'm sure it's not good for my hair (sprayed on before using the straightners) and it also leaves my hair quite 'crispy' in texture though looks ok.

Having researched on the web/youtube I am now completely confused as to what I should be using to protect my hair and help keep the waves in. Hair is supposed to be dry first so mousse is out. Do i need a protecting spray and a curling spray designed for heat or is there one product that does both jobs? I need more than just heat protection though because my hair is poker straight. Or is it all a load of bollocks and do these special products just do the exact same as ordinary hairspray?

Any recommendations from people with straight hair/hairdressers who regularly make beautiful long lasting luscious waves from straight hair?

Lauren83 Sun 10-Apr-16 19:26:05

You should use mousse on wet hair before drying it, I use a volumising mousse, dry my hair then spritz with heat protector then put waves in it, then a quick spritz of hairspray to tame the flyaway bits

CrepeDeChineWag Sun 10-Apr-16 21:06:52

This is the sort of thing I mean
(that's not me)

Lauren83 Sun 10-Apr-16 22:44:41

I would imagine you might find you get a similar result using a sea salt texturising spay, if gives you the definition you see in that pic, if I use it I put it on my fingers then just lightly put it through and 'tousle' the waves a bit. It's easy to put too much on so use sparingly

Lauren83 Sun 10-Apr-16 22:46:13

That's a good cheap one

bluebump Sun 10-Apr-16 22:47:59

I use mousse when wet and then once dried, curl with straighteners then spray with hair spray. It does feel a bit crispy but looks fine.

CrepeDeChineWag Mon 11-Apr-16 15:00:08

So the seasalt goes on after the curling or before?

and is the heat protective spray really necessary?

Bonbonchance Mon 11-Apr-16 17:28:11

Mine holds much better if not conditioned/not much conditioner. Hairspray each section individually (lightly) let it dry then curl. Took lots of trial & error to find what worked for me

Wellhellothere1 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:49:07

I have poker straight fine hair and I curl it every day with straighteners. I've never used a heat protector spray and my hair is in good condition so I figure I don't need it. I just apply mousse to wet hair, blast it dry then curl it with straighteners. When my hair is cool I run my fingers through it then apply hairspray.
I might try the salt spray though....

Wellhellothere1 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:49:42

Oh and I never use conditioner either. Shampoo only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now