Please help me find my graduation dress!

(11 Posts)
EarlyOwl Sun 10-Apr-16 11:10:57

I was hoping to find some inspiration among you- have been following a few dress threads, and thought you might be able to help...

I'm graduating from my university in July, and will be wearing the usual graduation gown (black with a bit of red). My problem is what to wear underneath! I think I want a white dress, so as not to stand out too much, but am struggling with finding something appropriate for the occasion that also doesn't seem too old (I'm in my early twenties). I don't want anything that screams 'summer dress', and was thinking along the lines of maybe a shirt dress, but can't find anything I love.

What did you wear/wish you wore to graduation? Any great outfits from dcs? There's no official dress code, so other suggestions welcomed! If it helps, I'm around 5ft6, and a size 8. Would probably pair with black strappy heels.

EarlyOwl Sun 10-Apr-16 11:20:34

Would something like this work? m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/Supertrash/Supertrash-Dright-Halter-Dress-in-White/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6352713&un_jtt_application_platform=newPlp&un_jtt_redirect
I'm not sure what I'd do re accessorising/underwear though... Would be happy to spend up to about £300, although anything lower would be great!

HSMMaCM Sun 10-Apr-16 11:24:39

I wore trousers and a blouse. Lots of people wore skirts and blouses. I think the reason was that you ideally need something to attach the hood to. Also bear in mind the gowns are heavy and a bit scratchy.

Having said that, that dress looks lovely and would look nice under a gown. There were several dresses at my graduation. One person matched her shoes to her hood which looked quite good.

Congratulations. Enjoy your day.

trufflesnout Sun 10-Apr-16 20:00:53

Most hoods are attached directly to the gown via velcro now, so having to button it onto your shirt is (usually) no longer an issue. But yeah, they are very heavy. Dress is lovely, but wear black if you don't want to stand out, not white!

bojorojo Sun 10-Apr-16 21:05:00

I would not choose white unless you will have tanned legs. Maybe a cream coloured dress would be easier to wear and find. You need one that is relatively formal and not a party dress. Have a look on ASOS. My DD who is also early 20s hardly buys from anywhere else. The choice is huge and usually sizes are accurate. She wore cream to her graduation and it looked good.

Any pale colour looks good with the gown but avoid black. You will look like a witch. Also busy mixed colours and patterned dresses look wrong.

bojorojo Sun 10-Apr-16 21:07:37

Also ASOS does student discount of 10%.

Welshcake77 Sun 10-Apr-16 21:26:05

I wore a white shirt and grey skirt to mine (17 years ago shock) and found it really awkward with the gown and don't like the whole look on photos at all! I wish I had worn a plain black shift dress. Everyone who looked smart that day had a plain black dress on. You could brighten it up with some silver/gold jewellery, but I really don't think it necessarily would look witch-like.
I wouldn't go for white if you don't want to stand out.

Pisssssedofff Sun 10-Apr-16 21:29:27

Go on stand out, why the heck not

Welshcake77 Sun 10-Apr-16 21:32:38

Something like this?

m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/Warehouse/Warehouse-Split-Front-Pencil-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6198774&cid=8799&Rf1012=4459&Rf-200=4&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=50&sort=-1&clr=Black&totalstyles=64&gridsize=3&un_jtt_v_frompage=0

EarlyOwl Sun 10-Apr-16 22:43:18

Thanks all! I like the Warehouse dress, and it definitely would blend in well under a gown- it's a tricky one though because for most of the day I won't be in a gown (sounds like it's mostly for the ceremony), and without the gown it'll look a bit plain for a family dinner we're having afterwards (lovely restaurant, not evening dress-y though). It's hard to find anything with detailing that won't look too busy in the photos! I'll just have got back from holiday so fingers crossed for a bit of a tan- cream does generally suit me more than white though so maybe I should keep looking... Thanks for the hood info too

Sunshowercap Sun 10-Apr-16 22:48:26

The dress you link to is a beach dress. A graduation is a formal occasions, so wear something appropriate. Make graduands are asked to wear dark suits, so take your cue from that. A dress with sleeves, or a skirt suit, or a dress with jacket, or a trouser suit. Not something tarty, please, and definitely see tights and lowish heels. The young women who teeter up the stairs look ridiculous and quite inappropriately dressed for the occasion.

When I graduated it was sub fusc + white gloves, and a firmal suit for the men. You definitely need something with buttons on the front so your hood attaches to your shirt/jacket buttons.

I've sat through many many graduations and pay my students the compliment if dressing formally. You should too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now