Talk

Advanced search

I need desperate help with my holiday wardrobe!

(10 Posts)
SunshineBee Sat 09-Apr-16 21:59:39

Sorry this is going to be long blush

I'm going away mid-June for the first time in years. It's the first holiday we have been on with our 2yo dd so I'm very excited but very stressed about what I'm going to wear. I'm such a worrier and plan ahead for everything so I want to start getting sorted now or I'll just stress about it for weeks. Money is tight as I'm a SAHM so I can't spend a lot (I'm thinking supermarket/H&M/Primark type prices) so I think I need to spread the buying out a bit.

I have gone from a size 18/20 to a 14 since having dd (I'm now 12st and I'm 5ft 4) and I'm wanting to lose another 2st but it's a slow process so I think I'll probably still be around this size or possibly 7lb lighter by the time we go on holiday. I am an hourglass shape, with a very wobbly stomach, upper arms and big thighs so would like to cover them as much as possible. I have very little clothes that aren't too big for me at the moment so I'm basically having to start from scratch with my summer wardrobe.

We are just going to the south of France to a Eurocamp place for a week in a static home, but I'd like to buy some bits which I'd wear over the summer at home anyway. I am 25 and really want to avoid looking frumpy and I'm desperate to look stylish. I am starting to get back to my hip pre-baby self but I've always been crap at hot weather dressing. Slightly embarrassing but I would describe my usual style as a bit hipster looking (hate that word but I can't think of another way to describe it!). Recently I've been living in tights, dresses, Dr Marten Chelsea boots and a vintage cashmere camel coat. Then ankle grazer jeans, a band t-shirt and a pair of vans or loafers in spring weather. If that gives you an idea of what I generally wear.

I hate shorts with a passion and don't want to show above my knees. I need some sort of sleeve too (not long but t-shirt sleeve length is just about acceptable. I'm not against wearing long harem type trousers, or a midi skirt but not sure how to style it. I feel a bit silly and flouncy in a maxi skirt or dress, but I'll wear any dress as long as it's not sleeveless or really short. Would I be best off buying maybe a plain jersey midi skirt in a couple of colours, then possibly some harem style pants and then mixing and matching tops? I generally wear grey, navy, burgundy type colours. I'm getting some navy saltwaters as a treat so I don't need to worry about footwear.

I also need help with swimwear!! I haven't been in a cossie for god knows how many years and I have no idea what would flatter me. This is the most stressful part! How on earth do I look half decent in a costume?!

So my question is - what do I need for a week on holiday? What would you take? I'm wary of overpacking as I'm terrible for this so a capsule wardrobe type thing would be good.

Please I need some help you wonderful lot! smile I'm so sorry this was very long so thank you to anyone who has read this whole rambling thing.

SunshineBee Sun 10-Apr-16 08:52:19

Hopeful bump!

5608Carrie Sun 10-Apr-16 09:40:21

Hi, I'm also 5' 4" and have a wobbly tummy.

The problem with primark type clothes is they give you very little support for tummy or boobs. If you live near an outlet that can be a great way of finding better quality at a lower price. Fat face is good for this.

I think it's worth trying on lots and lots of shorts of different lengths to find what you are happy with.

Go through what you have and see what you can use and then look for a colour scheme. Something like navy, tan and white would be mine but what ever colours suit you.

Then get a really nice support swimsuit. Really nice sandals and then 2-3 neutral tops, 2-3 skirts or shorts and a nice dress and one pair of light summer trousers. 2-3 cardigans, a jacket and a warm sweater / hoody.

Don't buy anything you haven't tried on or that doesn't go with at least two other things.

Also find a good second hand shop and have a look there too.

sandals

dress

Nowwhyareyoucrying Sun 10-Apr-16 10:21:50

Hi

I'm currently looking for my holiday capsule wardrobe so feel your pain at trying to decide...

I think cropped chinos like these are pretty versatile for day or evening. Perhaps with a plain linen tshirt and big necklace.

http://m.shein.com/Grey-Round-Neck-Shift-Dress-p-261347-cat-1727.htmlhttp://m.boden.co.uk/en-GB/womens-trousers-jeans/trousers/wm415/womens-7l__

Boden aren't exactly cheap but do have a 20% off for new customers I think.

They also have some lovely costumes.
_
8-chino.htmll__

Next are also quite good for supportive swimwear (I just hate their website).

They also have some good quality haareem style trousers in too.

Also what about some t-shirt/shift style dresses like these....they can be dressed up or down too_.

http://m.boden.co.uk/en-GB/womens-swimwear/swimsuits/ws055/womens-vintage-boyleg-swimsuit.htmlhttp://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Shift-Dress-in-Jumbo-Rib-with-3/4-Sleeves/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4967487&istCompanyId=6f061ed0-7427-4b6c-bb90-987c0bd08468&istItemId=pmqpwttwq&istBid=tztx&affid=14179&channelref=product+search&utmm_source=google&utmmedium=ppc&utmm_term=115078278056&utm

content=&utm_campaign=&cvosrc=ppc.google.115078278056&network=g&mobile=1&search=1&content=&creative=84679654101&ptid=115078278056&adposition=1o3&r=2&mk=ab&gclid=CN67yoDfg8wCFckaGwodZKYKEA

Nowwhyareyoucrying Sun 10-Apr-16 10:23:03

Sorry I have noooo idea why my post is all underlined....

Links work though I think.

SunshineBee Sun 10-Apr-16 22:06:38

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately Fat Face really isn't my thing at all. I often look as DP sometimes gets shorts from there but it's probably the opposite of what I like to wear.

Annoyingly most of the nice dresses with a 3/4 length sleeve are shift dresses which I love due to the retro looking shape, but they seriously don't suit me. I need something which comes in at the waist otherwise I look like a sack of potatoes. You've just reminded me that I do have a pair of Next harem style jersey bottoms that should still fit me as I didn't get them that long ago. I'll check out the rest of ASOS though as I always forget to look there.

I just have no idea how much is too much just for a week. I think I need to mix and match different items to keep the amount down.

SunshineBee Sun 10-Apr-16 22:06:58

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately Fat Face really isn't my thing at all. I often look at DP sometimes gets shorts from there but it's probably the opposite of what I like to wear.

Annoyingly most of the nice dresses with a 3/4 length sleeve are shift dresses which I love due to the retro looking shape, but they seriously don't suit me. I need something which comes in at the waist otherwise I look like a sack of potatoes. You've just reminded me that I do have a pair of Next harem style jersey bottoms that should still fit me as I didn't get them that long ago. I'll check out the rest of ASOS though as I always forget to look there.

I just have no idea how much is too much just for a week. I think I need to mix and match different items to keep the amount down.

dancemom Sun 10-Apr-16 22:19:53

I got some kaftan type cover ups in Matalan that I would wear either poolside or in the evening with shorts

5608Carrie Mon 11-Apr-16 08:48:37

TK maxx is also worth checking out. I know what you mean about Fatface but their cardigans and soft cotton trousers are great. Next outlet also brilliant if you are on a budget.

SunshineBee Mon 11-Apr-16 09:12:57

We have a big next outlet close by in Leeds so I'll check it out. I look horrendous in most trousers so I'm trying to avoid them if possible grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now