Help me style this relic of a dress

(26 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Apr-16 16:15:57

Family wedding in June, dragged this out of the back of the cupboard as was 'poshest' frock I'd ever bought pre DC (from Hobbs dontcha know) so hoping to get another wear out of it.

Still fits, yay, and the very full skirt is hiding a wobbly mum tum and much increased arse and thighs.

But how can I style it?? Don't want to look too much like a cliche (did Hepburn roll hair do 5 yrs ago) and happy to get new shoes / accessories. I'm obviously white as the proverbial rose so will get a spray tan.

Any thoughts please - I'm Fecking clueless at this stuff.

Oh yes and excuse the bedroom!

RudeElf Sat 09-Apr-16 16:20:02

Get a puffy underskirt to give it a bit of volume. Out of those shows you are modelling i would go with the wedges. If getting new shoes then black pump heels. Get a decent bra to give you a good shape to the dress.

Handbags and jewellery i am useless at so cant help there. Sorry!

FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Apr-16 16:24:58

Thanks elf! Yes, I thought the wedges looked better. Unfortunately I am wearing a newly fitted bra - admittedly it's not padded though - just not very well endowed in the chest area grin

I hadn't thought about an underskirt - any ideas where I might get one from a shop that I could try on first??

YvaineStormhold Sat 09-Apr-16 16:26:47

It's a lovely dress, but I think it might be a bit big for you.

Do you have anyone local who does alterations?

YvaineStormhold Sat 09-Apr-16 16:27:24

Vintage shops for underskirts. LindyBop do them online.

ShesAGreatGas Sat 09-Apr-16 16:28:18

I'd get shoes in that hot pink colour of the waistband.

Otherwise black or nude shoes with a pink bag?

Black shoes not very 'summer wedding' though...

Its a flattering dress on you, btw grin

RudeElf Sat 09-Apr-16 16:31:47

Ahh in that case then i would agree with a little alteration on the top of the dress so it fits a bit neater.

I bought my underskirt off ebay so cant recommend any shops i'm afraid.

Agree pink shoes to match the belt would be better than black.

And a pink [something] for your shoulders. A bolero or shawl or something just to bring it all together. Will you be wearing a fascinator or hat?

FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Apr-16 16:36:43

This is so helpful thank you everyone! I would never have thought to get it altered but there is somewhere very local so I'll pop in there to see what they think they could do.

I'm a bit worried that hot pink shoes, bag, hair piece might look a bit too put together - I know that sounds mad but the people who I admire style wise always seem to be a bit mismatched....

I'm so glass I get to live in jeans and a top most days!

lcoc2015 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:38:44

I would wear the strappy shoe on the right? The ones on the left look a bit day wear?

Rather than accessorising with pink (could look a bit matchy matchy) could you change up the belt with a metallic or other coloured belt/scarf/piece of material?

Altering the bodice/top also sounds like a good idea.

RudeElf Sat 09-Apr-16 16:39:22

What sort of styles/people's styles do you like and maybe we can get some ideas from that. Anyone famous we could google?

TSSDNCOP Sat 09-Apr-16 16:39:39

There are a pair of bright pink suede shoes in the Clarks website (I know, but look first wink that would look lovely. Then go black hat and bag.

I hate accessories that match top to toe. I think that is why the DOC always looks badly styled.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Apr-16 16:41:22

Lcoc oh I'm so glad I'm not completely mad with my 'too matched' comment! I think that's why I prefer the wedges as the casual slant goes against the pretty formal dress. I could use something else for the belt - hmm, so many ideas!

lcoc2015 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:41:52

Not the same kind of dress but something like this could work?

I prefer the strappy shoes. Bright pink shoes would be good but a waste of money if you wouldn't wear them again. And you need a little cropped jacket or something for over it - pink if you can find it.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Apr-16 16:44:15

Um, saying 'my mate Emma' at this point isn't much use is it!! I'm not very good at celebs but I guess Fearne Cotton?? Although I haven't actively seen anything particular. So people who put some quite random stuff together so therefore manage to look edgy - I'm aware it isn't an edgy dress!!!!!!

Or maybe white.

TSSDNCOP Sat 09-Apr-16 16:46:44

Try also Nine West mana high heels.

TSSDNCOP Sat 09-Apr-16 16:47:59

Oops sorry the thread moved faster than me.

ScaredOffMyBoss Sat 09-Apr-16 16:51:35

It's a lovely dress and looks great on you. I would take it to the dry cleaners they make everything look brand new. Also get a padded bra to fill out the top part a bit and maybe a black flouncy net underskirt for it? The wedges are the best of those two BT even better would be black patent leather pointed toe stilletos.

Do you have a jacket/ wrap for it?

FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Apr-16 16:53:54

I'm definitely liking that pic lcoc - could be quite flexible on jacket colour then; depending what I can find... Also, I'm going to have 2 DC (4, 18mo) with me should I take individual back packs for them so I get to have a nice bag for a change? Or do I use this as the perfect excuse to reward myself for a successful work achievement with this bag I've had my eye on....

FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Apr-16 16:55:35

It definitely needs a good clean boss - started to yellow a bit at the front so hope that could be fixed at dry cleaners / bit of sunlight??

ScaredOffMyBoss Sat 09-Apr-16 16:57:24

Dry cleaners will sort it out they also press it in the way that I can't achieve to make it look brand new from the shop.

lcoc2015 Sat 09-Apr-16 17:03:41

Ferne cotton does a lot of mixed patterns. She also wears interesting flats which can make an outfit look quite cool instead of typical wedding outfit fare.

The mixed patterns could work with your dress - if you were feeling brave maybe a cropped blazer jacket in a pattern or different stripe? You could either keep the pink belt as is or cover up with a black belt / scarf. Just try things on with it.

You have a great figure so am sure you'll great however you style it up.

kickassangel Sat 09-Apr-16 17:20:22

Depending how non-matchy you want to look -you could keep the pink belt (I like it btw) and then get a shawl/bolero top in a different bright color, or go for a neutral belt with that brown leather bag, and then any color of cardigan/bolero type thing.

Bags: Whatever is most practical for your kids/the venue. DD would likely run off if it were a country hotel, lose the bag, and promptly need a nappy change. So for me a big bag, but find somewhere you can leave it and don't be holding it if you're in photos. Maybe have a small clutch you can pull out for going to the bar.

Shoes - how much standing up will you have to do and how much do you like heels etc? Either stick to a neutral tan leather (maybe gladiator flats) or a different bright color.

Btw - matching cardigan and shoes in bright something, with the pink blet would be fine, but then go for a neutral bag.

And personally, I think white skin is better than a spray tan.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 09-Apr-16 19:08:11

Bright pink shoes, bag and Cardigan or jacket. To compliment the pink belt around the dress. A small subtle gold necklace
Small hoop earings, if you wear them.
Gold glitter nails.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now