Work clothes for a professional environment

(21 Posts)
eurochick Sat 09-Apr-16 14:53:55

I'd love some new ideas for where to shop for work clothes. I'm a lawyer in a fairly conservative firm. I occasionally have to wear suits but day to day just need smart office wear. I currently wear mainly Reiss, Banana Republic and Zara. All new ideas welcome!

SoThatHappened Sat 09-Apr-16 15:12:44

Ted Baker
Karen Millen
Phase Eight

Pisssssedofff Sat 09-Apr-16 15:26:02

Reid and jigsaw are my two favourite.
Good bag and shoes go a long way in my experience, I spend most on my coat, bag and shoes in that order

Pisssssedofff Sat 09-Apr-16 15:27:01

Oh and tights, I was in court recently and the rx's barrister had the most dreadful tights with what looked like an expensive suit. I couldn't stop starring lol

Ememem84 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:29:23

I'm in a similar environment. On but pieces from Zara warehouse oasis and mix in some primark h&m new look.

Peasandsweetcorn Sat 09-Apr-16 15:34:38

What size are you? Kaliko, Precis Petite, Minuet & similar do a lot of suits and whilst£££ at full price, if you're a 10 or 12 there is always loads of choice in their sales. I recently got two pairs of work trousers for £17 each. They're lined & everything.

TheCokeMachine Sat 09-Apr-16 15:44:40

Cecily dresses when I'm not in a suit.

ceeveebee Sat 09-Apr-16 15:48:26

Jaegar, Massimo Dutti, as well as the places you already shop at

eurochick Sat 09-Apr-16 17:06:04

Thanks for all the comments so far.

As for size, I'm a 10-12 but quite talk so definitely don't shop in the petite section.

I used to love massimo dutti (shopped there when I lived abroad before it came to the uk) but rarely find anything I like anymore. I always think of jaeger as for grown ups but as a 40 year old law firm partner I should accept I probably qualify so I'll take a look. Ted Baker I quite like but find expensive for what it is. Karen Millen occasionally has some nice pieces but I find a lot of it too fussy for the office. I love KM bags though.

I'm off to take a closer look at the other suggestions.

Pixilicious Sat 09-Apr-16 18:38:24

Following for inspiration!

UpsiLondoes Sat 09-Apr-16 18:49:36

I've not actually shipped here yet but ended up on a mailing list after reading about their fab miracle leggings that were nice enough for office wear.

www.winserlondon.com/key-looks/ready-for-work.html

UpsiLondoes Sat 09-Apr-16 18:49:47

*shopped

Behooven Sat 09-Apr-16 18:57:42

Jaeger Outlet (and eBay is great for new Jaeger pieces) tradionally and famously it catered for Mrs Thatcher and the Boutique range was for more edgy styles but now there's a good mix of classic and Hobbs-ish styles. Great for cotton, linen and silk too.

reynoldsnumber Sat 09-Apr-16 19:06:35

I buy most of my work stuff in Hobbs, have you tried it?

eurochick Sat 09-Apr-16 21:09:28

Cecily dresses are gorgeous! Just my style. I hope the fit is right for me.

eurochick Sat 09-Apr-16 21:10:56

I have one Hobbs dress but I generally find the fit isn't right for me and tbh I find it not quite to my taste. Which is a shame as the fabrics and quality seem good.

trinity0097 Sat 09-Apr-16 21:19:51

I buy my work shift dresses in Sainsburys and Asda. Sainsburys do machine washable jackets which I love, I have 3 the same shape in different colours!

KatharinaRosalie Sat 09-Apr-16 21:31:20

I have several suits from Esprit, surprisingly nice quality www.esprit.co.uk/womens-blazer-suits

ShinyShinyShiny Sat 09-Apr-16 22:16:33

I've bought a couple of pieces from Finery London recently that I've been really pleased with. Also Hobbs, some By Malen Birger, Somerset by Alice Temperley and LK Bennett.

Brillenbar Sat 09-Apr-16 22:21:38

Really serious power dresses... Try the fold ( you said you're a partner so I assume you can afford it!)

KatharinaRosalie Sun 10-Apr-16 07:59:08

I've found some surprisingly nice work dresses from Adrianna Papell (she mostly does funny sequins and ruffles). If you are bored with the usual navy/grey/black and if cap sleeves are acceptable then this is super flattering www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Adrianna+Papell+Tailored+sheath+dress/239663316,default,pd.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now