Talk

Advanced search

Aveeno moisturiser - they've done a good marketing job

(28 Posts)
JackandDiane Wed 06-Apr-16 09:03:24

Its SO SO average. I overheard a teenager telling her mum how good it was, I just wanted to tell her ' DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE"!

SandunesAndRainclouds Wed 06-Apr-16 09:06:03

I thought it was amazing until I tried basic coconut oil.

And I recently discovered that it is on PETA's list for one of the companies that use animal testing so that's put me right off.

spiggidydodah Wed 06-Apr-16 09:19:19

It is a miracle worker. Cleared up ds2's eczema completely. No steroids or antibiotics for over a year when he was on flucloxicillin every 2 weeks or so. And it doesn't smell revolting like the million and 1 other things we tried.

I never saw any advertising so had no preconceptions. He got a trial along with 3 other creams from the paediatric nursing team after he ended up in hospital after his last infection went from nothing to huge pus filled blisters in less than 5 hours. It was supposed to be a 2 week trial with 1 cream used on each limb. We gave up after 3 days and just smothered him in the aveeno because the results were that good.

I bloody love that cream.

DianaT1969 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:27:34

I found it very average too. The marketing referred to is that it is being touted as the miracle, low cost, must-have cream in magazines - presumably by their own PR.

rubybleu Wed 06-Apr-16 09:33:16

I love the blue one. It's the only thing that's unfragranced and genuinely moisturises my dry, reactive skin without leaving a grim film on my clothes.

cressetmama Wed 06-Apr-16 09:33:17

It works on my dermatitis. And I hate the smell of coconut.

StrawberrytallCake Wed 06-Apr-16 09:35:58

confused it works for my dermatitis too!! It was also the only thing I could put on my hands without stinging after they started cracking from weather and washing.

SlinkyVagabond Wed 06-Apr-16 09:38:42

Dd17 just hmmd and said "yeah like Jennifer Aniston uses Aveeno"

JackandDiane Wed 06-Apr-16 09:46:47

haha

Good shout from the teen

JackandDiane Wed 06-Apr-16 09:49:02

interesting it did work on some though. I bought the beige bottle. was ok . I suppose

washingrail Wed 06-Apr-16 09:59:12

its a miracle worker for me and ive tried dozens of products off the shelves.

i have raw hands some days after all the nappy changes/trips to bin/cleaning up after meals etc and its changed my life.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 06-Apr-16 10:01:50

I had high hopes for it too.

however it was as ineffective on Dds eczema as the dozen creams before hand.

Cakescakescakes Wed 06-Apr-16 10:03:28

It was great for Ds eczema. Different things work for different people. We tried 6 prescription emollients before striking gold with aveeno.

Ifiwasabadger Wed 06-Apr-16 10:03:46

Miracle cream here too!

WoodleyPixie Wed 06-Apr-16 10:10:43

its been fab here as well. Its one of the only creams that doesn't sting when I apply it and my skin is lovely and soft now, no more hard cracked patches and red raw hands.

it works well on ds2's skin. he doesn't have eczema, but he does have very ry skin, he puts this on after his shower and his skin has been greta, no more sore dry itchy skin for him and the same for dd. Other creams like e45 have left horrible sticky residues and this absorbs in completely.

My sister also swears this stops her psoriasis getting bad as well. She used to have awful skin, really scaly and flaky and uncomfortable, but she got it under control and now uses aveeno twice a day so shes not constantly using steroids and she rarely uses her steroid creams now.

SinisterBumFacedCat Wed 06-Apr-16 10:12:04

Only thing that worked for DS eczema and mine, without the side effects of steroids. Have recommended it to others and they have all been amazed at the results. Plus it sinks into the skin rather than coating it in oil like most paraffin moisturisers. If you don't suffer from dry or sensitive skin you probably won't see any obvious benefits but for me it's liquid gold.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 06-Apr-16 10:23:18

I like it. I don't find it much better that others, and in fact considerably less moisturising in some instances.

I have very dry skin and chronic eczema (although no recent flare ups).

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 06-Apr-16 12:09:22

It's definitely my favourite body moisturiser, the one in the pump bottle rather than the squeezy one. Have been using it since before all the ads started. I think people with parched skin are the ones who benefit from it.

FrownsAndDimples Wed 06-Apr-16 14:45:23

Another one who has been using it before the posh adverts with Jennifer Aniston.

It works amazingly well for my very dry skin.

MamaLazarou Wed 06-Apr-16 14:50:41

I absolutely love it. Coconut oil breaks me out. I haven't seen any ads with Jennifer Aniston.

ZiggyPantaloons Wed 06-Apr-16 15:00:35

I've used the fragrance free one for years. It's one of the few easily available perfume free products that actually work. I've always just chucked it in at the supermarket. I had it recommended to me by a HV when my first child was a baby - she said she couldn't prescribe it for me but I would find it helpful. I did.

Larastheme Wed 06-Apr-16 15:20:36

Love the body lotion with lavender scent ,smells good and a million times better than the expensive brands i used to buy, and the baby shampoo is very nice to, dh uses it as he has very senesitive scalp,

Naicecuppatea Wed 06-Apr-16 15:25:35

I have been using the cream for 25 years. Every time I have a flareup of eczema or just very dry reactive skin, it helps. I wouldn't ever be without it. I haven't seen the ads.

moggle Wed 06-Apr-16 15:31:50

I like it because the daily moisturising lotion suits everyone in our family - as a basic facial moisturiser it doesn't irritate DH's rosacea, helps with DD's dry patches on her arms and legs, and doesn't make my oily-but-sensitive face even oilier or more irritated. I use it as a make up remover and a hand cream too and when I go away I use it as a body lotion too to save space. We have tubes of it at every sink in the house. I like that I only have to buy one thing to cover all of us!

Don't know if it's a miracle worker and didn't realise people thought it was!! It's just a nice cream!

GandalfsWrinklyHat Wed 06-Apr-16 15:34:59

Colloidal oatmeal is one of the best products to moisturise skin, found the results of a trial years ago when researching very dry skin for a collegue that had severe burns and scarring following a car accident. The science backs the poduct. Worked well anyway. Now the makers of E45 and diprobase, THEY got the marketing job right!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now