Talk

Advanced search

Does anything make hair grow quicker?

(14 Posts)
snowvelvet Tue 05-Apr-16 17:29:22

I know it may be a daft question, but I am trying to grow my hair and it is very slow growing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Buzzardbird Tue 05-Apr-16 17:31:25

Have you tried pushing in your belly button?

Some people swear by brushing almond oil through your hair. Personally illness makes my hair grow as hair is dead cells.

KindDogsTail Tue 05-Apr-16 17:46:49

A good diet with adequate protein and plenty of green vegetables and some fruit everyday helps in my opinion. The protein can include legumes, nuts etc as well as fish and chicken and eggs but you might not want fatty meats and too much fatty cheese.

There are websites that give guidelines about how much protein is needed everyday depending on your age, life style and weight. It can be harder than you think to have enough - for example one egg is only about six grams of protein. On the other hand it is also in unexpected things like spinach and broccoli.

You can find lists and guidelines for protein rich foods including on vegan and vegetarian sites.

There are also skin hair and nails supplements available.

georgiatraher Tue 05-Apr-16 17:49:54

regular trims.
I cut my own hair and it's only getting longer! It would probably look better to have it professionally trimmed but I can't afford the expense of that.

My birthday treat to my self this year is a trip to the hair dressers.

specialsubject Tue 05-Apr-16 17:50:22

short answer; no.

the rate at which your hair grows is personal to your and determined by the replacement cycle of your hair follicles. Malnourishment or illness can slow it down, but nothing makes it grow faster than your genetic rate. For most people it is about half an inch a month. That's probably what is happening to you.

trimming, magic potions, snake oil labelled in French, standing on your head - all do nothing. Unless you are Tressy with that belly button control! smile

snowvelvet Tue 05-Apr-16 18:07:09

I like the idea of the belly button. Reminds me of dolls when I was younger where you fed the plasticine in and it sprouted out as hair.

I shall keep being patient. Diet is fine. May have it restyled and it definitely needs a trim.

specialsubject Tue 05-Apr-16 18:50:31

ah, the innocence of youth; us old farts are remembering the Tressy doll, where to make her hair grow you pushed her belly button and pulled the hair. To make it short again, you inserted a key in her back and turned it, which wound the hair back in.

attached; what I'm sure Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet for...

houseofretro.com/index.php/2013/02/04/tressy-her-hair-grows/

jellyjiggles Wed 06-Apr-16 07:47:25

Sunshine makes mine grow faster!

MairzyDoats Wed 06-Apr-16 07:49:00

Sea kelp is supposed to work...

specialsubject Wed 06-Apr-16 10:50:46

how?

rub it on?
swallow it?
surround it with candles and say magic words?

evidence?

remember the bollocks warning words: 'detox' 'superfood' 'can help to...' 'natural' 'chemicals'

MairzyDoats Thu 07-Apr-16 10:25:40

Who pissed on your chips? Sea kelp is a supplement. It's got lots of micro nutrients in it. I've read - several times - that's is reputed to improve hair growth. JFGI.

goodtimesroll Thu 07-Apr-16 10:40:07

My hairdresser recommended sea kelp to me. I'm not 100% if it has helped my hair grow more quickly but it seems to have helped "new" hair grow. I have quite a lot of baby hair sprouting out of the top of my head, my boyfriend likes calling me Beetlejuice now grin X

Jaimx86 Thu 07-Apr-16 11:08:15

When I started eating half an avacado every day last year, my hair had a huge growth spurt!
I go to the hair dressers every 6 weeks and each time she couldn't believe how much it had grown.

happygoluckylady Thu 07-Apr-16 11:12:35

I love a shampoo called Watermans - lost a lot of hair through chemo but this seems to be helping it grow back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now