Talk

Advanced search

How long to shower? Get ready?

(22 Posts)
pepsi001 Tue 05-Apr-16 11:20:10

Hello smile

I'm a new mum and the one skill I wished I'd learnt before having a baby is showering and getting ready fast. It takes me so long. It's like I step into a time warp in the shower.

Current routine:

0630 - Morning shower, wash hair and body, dry off, talc under boobs and body oil as moisturiser. Brush teeth, cleanse, tone and moisturise face, get dressed and dry hair to be done by 0700 as the DH will hand me baby so he gets ready for work.

I'm in maternity leave so I straightened hair and do light make up later on in the day if I go out. I like to shower early morning so it sets me up for the day.
I have to wash my hair daily as its fine and I have scalp psoriasis so often use a treatment overnight that needs washing out.

Is this ages? Other people seem to be done so quick. I swear I rush around to do the above - I'm like 15 minutes or more in the shower.

Tell me your routine!

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 05-Apr-16 12:17:19

That sounds ok as it includes getting dressed and drying hair. I find that I don't get all the shampoo rinsed out if I rush in the shower.

Brummiegirl15 Tue 05-Apr-16 12:43:29

This be honest if you include washing and drying hair that sounds about right.

I've got a 15 wk old DD and I fully admit that I probably only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week now - dry shampoo is my friend!!! Just takes too long to wash and dry.

I confess I leave my DD in her cot in our room whilst I shower as we have an en-suite. I just leave the door open and chat to her - she just chatters away to herself

Annarose2014 Tue 05-Apr-16 12:50:22

I don't know how people take less than 15 mins in the shower if you're washing your hair. By the time you've stepped out and towelled and have done body lotion etc of course its's 15 mins!

And then it takes me 10 mins to get dressed, brush teeth, slap on moisturiser. I don't blow dry my hair but that would take another 5 mins on top.

I have to admit that in the early newborn days I would skip days where I literally only had the energy to use baby wipes on the pits 'n bits. I went through a LOT of Batiste in the first 4 months. So I think you're way ahead of the curve getting a daily shower in at all!

MarbleFox Tue 05-Apr-16 14:17:21

I think that sounds fairly quick.

Indecisivejo Tue 05-Apr-16 14:46:34

Blimey can you teach me how to do all of that so quick?! That definitely isn't long if you're including washing hair and drying it plus doing a whole cleanse tone and moisturise!! Well done!

On a side note you said you have scalp psoriasis could you tell me which shampoo and conditioner you use please as I have same problem!

SpidersFromMars Tue 05-Apr-16 14:49:41

Do you wash and dry your hair every day? If you skipped that a 5 min shower is possible, but not with shampoo.

SpidersFromMars Tue 05-Apr-16 14:51:09

Sorry, I meant to say I have Psoriasis too - and overwashing for me makes it worse. I use T Gel shampoo every 2 days.

Petal02 Tue 05-Apr-16 14:57:45

I feel ashamed to say it takes me far longer than you, OP: if I'm starting the day with an "I'm going to work" shower, then it's 15 mins in the shower, including hair wash, then moisturising my face and arms/legs afterwards, it takes 10 mins for make-up and then 10 mins to dry hair. Which I know only adds up to 35 mins, but in reality it takes nearer 45 mins if I include getting dressed (and I lay everything out the night before). I find my total 'getting ready' time somehow exceeds the sum of all the individual elements ......

I've tried to improve this many times over the years, but I simply can't do it any quicker.

georgiatraher Tue 05-Apr-16 14:59:32

from wake up to walk out the door I need 45 minutes. DP can do it in 15 with no shower and 30 mins with one but I need the time to wake up.

daisydalrymple Tue 05-Apr-16 15:08:36

Nivea do a body wash which is also a moisturiser, on sale in Asda, tesco, boots etc. so you use it to wash but it somehow moisturises too, keep meaning to try it but I end up with never ending supply of body wash after christmas and birthdays! and a face wash in the shower might be quicker than cleanse and tone after?

Am in utter awe of you maintaining a beauty routine with a new baby though! With dc1 some days I was lucky to have showered by lunchtime! All 3 dcs have been poorly with flu since Easter sunday (real flu sad ) and i didn't manage a shower yest, it was so lovely taking my time today whilst dc3 had a super long nap!

Aquamarine70 Tue 05-Apr-16 15:26:04

Maybe in the morning just use a face wash in the shower & moisturiser afterwards.,Or wipe with micellar water then moisturise. It might save a bit of time.
I use one of those hair turbans when I get out of the shower. It absorbs the water so is less drying time with the hairdryer. It also keeps your hair out of the way whilst doing my makeup. Dry hair roughly & section & that lessens hair drying time if you blow dry your hair.
You can get spray moisturiser I think Vaseline intensive care do one which may save a few mins from rubbing in body lotion.,

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 05-Apr-16 16:02:35

I get up at 6.30ish on work days, and first thing make tea.
Shower, including wash and condition hair - done by 6.50
Skincare and makeup takes me to 7ish, then I put on body lotion and get dressed
Make another cup of tea, dry and straighten hair, put jewellery and perfume on - that's 7.30ish
Make and eat breakfast, check work emails, take a cup of tea to DP who leaves later than me. Brush teeth, put lipstick on. Out the door between 7.50 and 8.

I could cut it way down by not faffing so much .

daisydalrymple Tue 05-Apr-16 16:23:41

aquamarine where do you get the hair turbans from please?

specialsubject Tue 05-Apr-16 16:34:04

15 mins in the shower? Hope it's not a power shower with the water and energy that uses!

wash hair, put on conditioner, wash body, rinse out conditioner, job done. 5 mins and I have a fair amount of hair. Can't speak for the rest re body lotion, elaborate skin care as I don't do any of that.

Gwenhwyfar Tue 05-Apr-16 20:14:33

I wash my face with shower gel in the shower. Is that really bad? I don't see the need for cleanser in the morning because you've taken your makeup off the night before.

sohelpmegoad Tue 05-Apr-16 20:33:56

Good grief, im in and out of the shower in one song on the radio. I wash my hair wash my face with face wash, shower gel all over, quick shave if required. Another song for drying and deo and assorted banalities from Chris Evans. 10 mins max any more and Im late for work

Kennington Tue 05-Apr-16 21:20:04

10 mins in shower max - with toddler sat in bath watching me!
I wash hair then stick conditioner in and scrub myself down and zip a razor over super fast. Then out.
10 mins for getting dressed and moisturising - but I do all this while supervising toddler.
Thick towel wrapped around hair then a 5 min rough dry.
5 mins for make up. I do different steps while getting daughter ready as I like her to at least try to put her clothes in and dry herself down.
So 30 mins in total but kid is done in parallel. It was my internal challenge!
Then breakfast and go......

Aquamarine70 Wed 06-Apr-16 03:42:42

I'm in Australiia so can't advise which shop but I did read on here a while ago that some of the pound shops sold them cheap. I expect yo could get one from Ebay. I also got one from Avon.

pepsi001 Wed 06-Apr-16 11:32:07

See all you 1 song shower people I don't get it. I feel like all I do is wet hair shampoo rinse condition wash face and body. Shave every couple of days. But literally I take ages.

My hair is fine and chin length bob. Bit of upside down hair dryer and it's good to go! No need for turbans etc.

Whoever asked what I use for psoriasis- I use Capasal shampoo, calcipotriol scalp solution and dovenex scalp ointment all GP prescribed. The scalp ointments make my hair greasy hence washing daily.
I also buy Alphoysl shampoo to use as and when.
I tend to use whatever shampoo/conditioner I fancy as I had limited success with SLS free type ones. I don't like to much hair product eg spray or mousse as this ups the itch which is my main problem with scalp psoriasis as I do it with thinking and then I get the snowy shoulder effect.
I had a small amount of success with the Dead Sea mud magik products mainly the conditioner.

Annarose2014 Wed 06-Apr-16 11:38:23

Yeah I don't get the 5 min showerers either. I suppose if I really rushed I could do: shampoo & rinse - 1 min. Slap on conditioner - 30 secs. Wash body - 1 min. Shave bits - I min. Rinse out conditioner properly - 1 min.

Then 1 min for drying and lotion?

That's 5/6 mins. But gosh, doesn't it sound frantic!

sohelpmegoad Thu 07-Apr-16 20:53:05

It may be frantic, but I much prefer as long in bed as possible to faffing in the shower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now