Talk

Advanced search

How do I wear trainers with skinny jeans?

(23 Posts)
Pointlessfan Tue 05-Apr-16 07:22:38

The thread about Converse has reminded me how much I love trainers. I used to live in them but since jeans have gone skinny I feel silly wearing trainers with them. It looks good on other people though and I'll have to ditch the winter boots soon.
So, how do I wear trainers with skinny jeans? Can I wear socks? I hate wearing trainers without socks. How do I try the laces so they don't dangle everywhere or have a massive bow on top?

sassytheFIRST Tue 05-Apr-16 07:39:36

Little socks. I can't get on with the trainer liners but the socks designed for sport which just peep over are fine. You can get lace edged ones now which look cute if that's your thing.

I agree that skinnies and trainers can look a bit L shaped or clownish. But if you roll the skinnies s bit to show a but of ankle that goes away and I think they look great then.

MrsBenWyatt Tue 05-Apr-16 09:23:01

I am living in my Nike Roshe at the moment. I bought 'shoe liner' type things from Primark - five pairs for £3. They stay on much better than the more expensive ones and can't be seen when I have my trainers on.

They look like this, but mine are black.

Pointlessfan Tue 05-Apr-16 09:38:48

I've had those in the past from M&S and found them really uncomfortable, I'll try the Primark ones though, they wont break the bank!

MrsBenWyatt Tue 05-Apr-16 17:24:13

I've had them from other places before and they kept coming off, but the Primark ones have been very good - not slipped once. It might depend on foot size/shape though?

Pointlessfan Tue 05-Apr-16 17:33:38

Yes, I have very narrow feet, I just walk out of ballet flats, Birkenstocks etc. That's why I need to tie my laces too but the they look silly!

movinonup Tue 05-Apr-16 18:14:47

You could get those elastic laces thingymajigs, Will try and find a link to them.

rightknockered Tue 05-Apr-16 18:22:13

You can tie the laces and tuck them into the sides of your trainers. Or just tie them under the tongue. I just roll up my jeans and don't worry about my socks showing. I wear glitter ones, animal print ones, or black ones with lace.

becksblue Tue 05-Apr-16 18:25:13

I prefer hi top trainers with skinny jeans. Means you can wear normal socks smile

Pointlessfan Tue 05-Apr-16 19:06:25

Hi top is a good idea, I do like to wear proper socks! Have never heard of elastic laces but they sound promising.

BertieBeats Tue 05-Apr-16 19:14:39

I wear skinny jeans and trainers socks grin But they usually have a funky pattern on them. Or without if in summer and it's hot. As someone mentioned on this thread you can get socks that are invisible (not the trainer socks as you can still see a bit of them with shoes on ,these ones literally just cover the toes round to the heel ). Because you're over thinking it it probably feels funny ,I was the same initially. I usually wear vans ,not bulky trainers like my DC's as they can look very "Emo-ish".

Pointlessfan Tue 05-Apr-16 20:55:02

Most of my socks are patterned, should I just go for it and flaunt the crazy socks? You're right, I am overthinking it.

I like lacy socks when wearing jeans full length, or trainer socks when cuffing them.

BertieBeats Tue 05-Apr-16 21:20:15

Ah I was meant to put I wear skinny jeans with trainers AND socks. Not trainer socks ,I mean normal socks ,I pull them up as much as I can before putting my jeans on grin No time for following fashion when you're doing the school run in the freezing cold, lol.

Pointlessfan Tue 05-Apr-16 21:48:26

That's what I assumed you meant bertie!
I might give it a go tomorrow if it's not too cold.

CointreauVersial Tue 05-Apr-16 21:59:31

You need to cuff your skinny jeans to ankle-skimmer length. A flash of ankle between trainer and jeans is flattering.

I also wear those "footsy" hidden socks.

RunswickBay Tue 05-Apr-16 22:08:40

Hi tops look good with skinnies especially Ash ones. So expensive though (sigh)

Pointlessfan Wed 06-Apr-16 07:15:09

I was looking at trainers online last night, why are they so expensive?? I have 2 pairs, both a bit old and well-worn but I think they'll have to do for now.
Where does everyone buy their trainers from? I looked at the Schuh website but I bet there is somewhere cheaper.

DeathMetalMum Wed 06-Apr-16 09:59:20

Tk maxx is one of my go to places for trainers. I am a 3.5 so can often buy the kids trainers.

I used to just wear converse with skinny jeans no need to roll up or bother about not wearing socks Imo, and tuck the laces inside the shoe I also need to tie them up. I couldn't do with having my ankle on show I'd get a cold ankle! Currently I am wearing pumas or vans with skinny jeans both with socks, unfortunately can't wear converse any more as they really hurt my feet sad.

I'm another one 'blessed' with size 3 and a half/4, so got mine in Kids Footlocker.

AmberNectarine Wed 06-Apr-16 12:03:32

I am a 5.5 and still get kids sizes!

Pointlessfan Wed 06-Apr-16 13:26:34

I could probably just about squeeze into kids' ones, I'm sometimes 5.5 sometimes 6 depending on the style. TK maxx is a good idea, I never go in there as I find it very stressful but worth a try!

Pointlessfan Wed 06-Apr-16 13:41:41

So I just did a little research on Youtube about tying shoelaces and I found these - these are awesome! Thought I'd share.

www.laceanchors.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now