Why do people say thing like, aren't you hot in that, of aren't you cold in that

(15 Posts)
LardLizard Mon 04-Apr-16 22:32:04

Is it a way of having a sly dig?

burnishedsilver Mon 04-Apr-16 22:39:01

They're just making conversation. You're over thinking it. Relax.

pinocchiosnose Mon 04-Apr-16 22:43:51

I'm always cold so people say this to me all the time . I never thought to take it any way other than their curiosity.

LardLizard Mon 04-Apr-16 22:47:59

What a polite response then ?

I'm guessing well if I was, I would wear something cooler.....
Is a bit snáppy

pinocchiosnose Mon 04-Apr-16 22:50:58

I just say that I'm always cold so not really or no I'm fine thanks.I guess it is a bit of an odd question but I think it's just making conversation

Casmama Mon 04-Apr-16 22:53:20

It depends what you are wearing. If you are wearing something completely unsuited to the temperature outside then it is probably a fair question.
How frequently does this happen to you?

IslaSinga Mon 04-Apr-16 22:55:28

This annoys me - the in laws are always saying things like that about my children - I do feel like they're having a dig and it drives me crazy!!!

LardLizard Mon 04-Apr-16 23:00:10

It does happen to be fairly often

I have also had comments like, your very glam for this time of the day

burnishedsilver Mon 04-Apr-16 23:07:06

A simple yes or no would suffice.

I wouldn't be able to get through the day if I got annoyed over things like that.

JohnCheese Mon 04-Apr-16 23:07:08

Well, at least they notice you wink. Sounds to me your clothes are noteworthy, and if they say 'glam', I'd hazard a guess they're a tiny bit envious.

I do get your ire tho.

LardLizard Mon 04-Apr-16 23:21:13

Well say if I was going out for lunch with friends, if dress for that, so I just dress for my day, so what I wear can vary a lot , so many that makes it noticeable

Mind you the other day I used some bb cream that didn't suit me, it was too dark, so probably looked like I had loads of make up on
That attracted a comment.....

I don't really comment on others, unless I really like something, I guess I find ambiguous comments a tad puzzling

sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 04-Apr-16 23:24:31

I find someone in a jumper on a hot day makes me feel even hotter - same with DD walking round in a vest top in winter makes me feel cold -

It's a feeling! That's all.

Nettletheelf Tue 05-Apr-16 00:16:01

When low rise jeans were fashionable (and I was in my 20s) some of my older colleagues would say, on dress down days, "ooh, you'll get a chill on your kidneys! Aren't you cold in those?"

(It was summer).

I think it can be a way of having a dig and implying that your mind isn't on higher things like theirs because you're frivolous, or unable to tell what the weather is like, or whatever.

A bit like when some women say, "you're very glamorous, aren't you?" with a stony face because you've put a bit of lippy and some heels on.

BackInTheRealWorld Tue 05-Apr-16 00:20:10

I doubt they care tbh, it's just conversation.
Ffs.

Batladyandrose Tue 05-Apr-16 07:30:07

I suspect that I am pre-menopausal. so if I get 'aren't you cold?' comments I get a bit self conscious. I also never make the comment (to anyone 40+) because I remember my Mum and aunts needing to step out side to cool down! However I am probably massively overthinking this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now