speaking of old school failsafe beauty items, what about callanetics? or whats your tried and tested body shaping routine?

(14 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Mon 04-Apr-16 19:29:29

I brought up the tried, tested and never to be given up thread earlier, and I started thinking about callanetics. I have the old vhs and book and can practically remember most of it off the top of my head. The photos of ever reducing bums were pretty convincing! I wonder what their daily food diary would have contained?
Does anyone still swear ny this? I'm wondering if its worth trying it out again, its been a while!
Or is there some other old school (or not so old school) routine you use?

Huntzberger Tue 05-Apr-16 09:29:45

I swear by Jane Fonda's New Workout - also on VHS! Though I did manage to download a version to burn on to DVD, since we god rid. It's a brilliant all round workout in about 40 minutes, really changes your body quickly. I think I still know all the words from the song the woman (Lesley Linglingham?) sings in the middle!

AuntieStella Tue 05-Apr-16 09:42:52

I don't use it, but your thread title reminded me of Boomph with Becker.

Anyone else remember it?

keeponkeepinon Tue 05-Apr-16 10:24:50

Jane Fonda! Apparently she re released her on dvd a while back. Just looked it up but its twenty quid on amazon! Is it worth it? (bearing in mind I probably have 15 unused exercise dvds in the cupboard! )

1moreglassplease Tue 05-Apr-16 13:44:27

I loved Callanetics and did it religiously in my bedroom back in the 90s. I only threw away the book a couple of years ago. It did wonders for me although I was a slim 20-something then.

Huntzberger Tue 05-Apr-16 14:11:40

I'm pretty sure you can watch the Jane Fonda videos on YouTube - I always just do the 30 day shred on YT, rather than DVD.

keeponkeepinon Tue 05-Apr-16 14:43:13

Couldn't find them huntz, said not available in your country on one of them.

CotswoldStrife Tue 05-Apr-16 14:51:02

I often do the ab section from Callenetics, I think it's really effective in getting you to use/isolate the right muscles.

She trained with Lotte Berk, I have an old video of the Lotte Berk method. The good thing is that it's short, the bad thing is that it's a killer!

keeponkeepinon Tue 05-Apr-16 15:03:57

Did anyone ever master the pelvic scoops on this,? That feels like one exercise I don't think I'd ever master!
Did anyone feel they really lost inches? From callan or jane fonda?

Solasum Tue 05-Apr-16 15:07:00

When I was doing a lot of Callanetics and Pilates but diet etc otherwise unchanged, I went down nearly 2 dress sizes. It definitely works, but you have to stick with it.

I was thinking of starting up again (I still do Pilates but just enough to keep my back mobile) prior to impending beach holiday...

OttiliaVonBCup Tue 05-Apr-16 15:07:49

I have a Lotte Berk video too, lose inches with Lotte, I think.

I keep meaning to see if I can move it to DVD.

If you like this type of exercise a good option is Suzanne Bowen.
There are quite s few videos on you tube and a DVD as well, great for the bum and she's very good at explaining.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 05-Apr-16 15:54:52

I have the Callanetics 20 minute workout DVD - it has three 20 minute programmes on it, and I try to do the legs and bum one three or four times a week. It's very dated, but God, it works - my saddlebags disappeared within a few weeks. I can remember my mum having it when it was a "thing" and ordered it a couple of years ago in Amazon on impulse - an excellent buy!

Flossyfloof Tue 05-Apr-16 16:49:46

I have got the original Callanetics from iTunes. Think it was £6.99. I do it now and again. I used to do it all the time in the 80's, I knew it pretty well off by heart and used to do it in front of the telly! I am definitely not as supple as I was then but it is still a really good workout, especially for me right now as I have an injury and can't do much else.
Pelvic scoops were a killer then and they're a killer now.

keeponkeepinon Tue 05-Apr-16 16:55:53

Which exercises were in the 20min dvd judy? I'm guessing the sat on the floor legs lifted out to the side must be in there? I'm wondering if its ultimately the main programme split into three 20min workouts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now