Talk

Advanced search

how can I get rid of the smell?

(9 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Mon 04-Apr-16 11:08:39

Following on from an earlier thread about stinky armpits on shirts, I bought some Halo Sportswash, pretreated the pits of a batch of shirts, and laundered them.

I am allergic to fragrances, so have had to re-launder them with my usual detergent.

They are now on their third wash, and they still smell of the Halo stuff!

What am I going to do? How can I make the shirts wearable again? Is this going to happen every time I use Halo? In which case it's not going to solve my problem with the shirts. Argh!

justaweeone Mon 04-Apr-16 12:07:23

Try washing with a cup of White vinegar

squoosh Mon 04-Apr-16 12:17:27

Yes, vinegar and bicarb are usually the answer. Channel your inner 1930's skivvy!

MrsLettuce Mon 04-Apr-16 12:31:32

Yes, white vinegar should shift the Halo smell. Bicarb is also worth a try.

Rubbing alcohol (or vodka) poured neat onto the pits of clothing before washing is the gold standard of sweat smell removal. It kills the bacteria and leaves no smell at all behind.

LifeIsGoodish Mon 04-Apr-16 14:18:30

Done a vinegar wash and it still smells of Halo!

Doing another.

Going on holiday tomorrow and I need clothes. Sigh.

LifeIsGoodish Mon 04-Apr-16 14:20:24

BTW vodka doesn't work for me. I must have nuclear sweat bacteria!

LifeIsGoodish Mon 04-Apr-16 14:20:49

Though it's very good at shifting marker pen stains.

LifeIsGoodish Mon 04-Apr-16 20:53:42

Argh!!!!

Seven washes. Seven!

A whole bottle of vinegar.

It still smells of Halo.

The clothes are now on the airer in the kitchen, I can smell the stuff as I come downstairs, and I can't even bear to be in the kitchen for long as the smell is so strong it's giving me a headache.

And it's not just me, everyone else can smell it, dh commented on the smell as soon as he walked in from work.

sausagetown Mon 04-Apr-16 22:47:01

This won't help with your holiday, but can you leave them out on the line for a few days/ a week/ however long it takes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now