Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear a hair clip in my hair and not look like I'm 5?

(23 Posts)
yeswehavenobananas Sun 03-Apr-16 21:25:48

I have just had my hair cut into a really nice, shorter style. I now have quite a short fringe and would quite like to clip it to the side occasionally.

Can I do this without looking 5? Do grown women do this? I'm sure I've seen people do this but can't picture what an acceptable clip will look like?

NantucketNightbird Sun 03-Apr-16 21:30:44

Yes I do this, I'm growing out a fringe so I just use a bendy clip (there is probably a proper name but it bends open or close).

yeswehavenobananas Sun 03-Apr-16 21:35:51

Ooh, thanks, I'm not sure what a bendy clip is. Will google

NantucketNightbird Sun 03-Apr-16 21:42:48

I've just googled and I think it's a snap clip that I use <I sound five> blush

Drquin Sun 03-Apr-16 21:45:57

Would a kirby grib or two blend in look less like you'd borrowed it from a small child better?

Those bendy clips can look very young, very easily ...... But it depends how else you accessorise.

Pinkvici22 Sun 03-Apr-16 21:49:17

Yes but I agree only with Kirby grips.

specialsubject Sun 03-Apr-16 21:55:25

Lucy Worsley does and gets away with it - although don't copy her ridiculous waddle-making shoes.

as long as it doesn't say 'Frozen' I don't think it's an issue!

NantucketNightbird Sun 03-Apr-16 21:56:05

Kirby grips never stay in for me. But I think I pull it off ok. I use black ones plus i only wear dresses with coloured tights and converse, velvet docs or zip up uggs. to be fair I probably look shit but I like my style

DonkeyOaty Sun 03-Apr-16 22:00:17

I sometimes twist or plait my fringe to the side then snap clip. I am <ahem> well let's say ye add a zero to 5 but here's the thing - I don't care grin

yeswehavenobananas Sun 03-Apr-16 22:03:00

I don't think kirby grips will stay in my hair..it's quite thick..will try and add a pic..

yeswehavenobananas Sun 03-Apr-16 22:04:13

here

yeswehavenobananas Sun 03-Apr-16 22:25:22

What are the bigger clips called where you have a kind of slide thing and it pings into a clipper? Like a long, thin slide with a metal bit that grips underneath? I want to try and google those..

JassyAlconleigh Sun 03-Apr-16 22:25:59

No.

Ludwsys Sun 03-Apr-16 22:29:43

Once when I was growing a fringe out, I clipped it back with one of dd's clips when I was doing housework, I then went to Morrisons with a purple feather and glitter clip the size of my fist in my hair. It was only then I looked in the rear view mirror on my way home that I realised. I wouldn't suggest that, but s nice understated one is fine.

yeswehavenobananas Sun 03-Apr-16 22:32:34

Ah, I quite like the sound of that one, Ludwsys.

HeadFullofSteam Sun 03-Apr-16 22:53:01

Your hair is lovely. I have thick jaw length hair. I sometimes Kirby grip it back at one or both sides. I am 53.

KeepOnPlodding Sun 03-Apr-16 23:39:10

What about tiny claw/butterfly clips to hold your fringe back?

Another option might be the really thin, clear elastics (I think Boots sell them) - you could use them to hold your fringe back - they are barely noticeable.

mimiasovitch Mon 04-Apr-16 09:14:49

My hair is really thick and Kirkby grips work fine. I do use 2, upside down and criss crossed, and only the Goody brand stay in. If I have a bun they're also the only ones that don't stretch.

MadameDePompom Mon 04-Apr-16 10:27:43

It worked for Margo Tennenbaum.

I love a Kirby grip personally. Did you know they're meant to be placed with the wavy side facing down?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 04-Apr-16 10:35:02

It would look good to take a small front section, pull it forward and twist it over itself a few times before fixing with a few grips to one side.

I had a similar cut and quite often wore sunglasses on my head to hold it off my face. Great cut on you by the way, looks amazing.

MrsJayy Mon 04-Apr-16 10:39:13

Your hair is lovely you could get away with a clip you can plain snap clips everywhere

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 04-Apr-16 10:43:59

There is a trend at the moment for grip art where you put kirby grips in an XXX pattern in your hair by overlapping them.

yeswehavenobananas Mon 04-Apr-16 17:25:40

Thanks all, will invest in some kirby grips smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now